“Excellent location. Friendly staff”

Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Escazu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed June 22, 2013

We stayed at the property for 3 nights. Our rooms were located in th tower building.
Mostly used the Spa (excellent overall). Ask about the packages, better value. Shower in the spa treatment room dirty. Needs more cleaning.
Lobby bar also very good service and attentive staff.
Approached front desk but staff so so. Not the best to help out.
Excellent bed in the room. Very comfy. One of the best I've slept in.
Hotel is located in front of a very beautiful mall called Multiplaza. Many stores and restaurants.

Room Tip: Ask for upgrade at check in. May have to pay a small premium to stay at the tower.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2013

Dear EnriqueA157, I do appreciate your specific comments about your experience in our hotel, rest assure all improvement areas such as staff attitude and cleanliness will be addressed by the related Department Heads, I am also glad you also rated our Spa Team so well. We look forward to welcome you back. Sincerely, Ramon

There are newer reviews for Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall

Reviewed June 19, 2013

I thought I had wrote this back in March but appears I hadn’t, have just recently stayed in the hotel and this review should be compared to the most recent stay as it is difficult to understand how the hotel could have changed so much in such a short space of time.

Having stayed in the hotel twice before it is always a hotel you look forward to staying in and having an extended trip for nearly 3 weeks allowed us to use the most of the hotels facilities. Frirst thoughts are the new Market restaurant is that its fantastic concept, smart appearance, open plan cooking, order effectively what you like and 24 hour availability. Food was very reasonable and quite tasty only downside is the overzealous waiter who the second you put the last mouthful of food into your mouth they take your plate away. Breakfast was amazing held in the new Market but so much food to choose from it is unbelievable, fresh fruit like melon and pineapple plus many others, hot foods of all kinds and lots of pastries you will leave wondering how you will ever like with just cereal again. Only downside is there wasn’t enough staff to be able to cope with all of the customers, often you had to wait for coffee or get your own juice, stark contrast to the evening Market.

My room was on the 5th floor with the beautiful view of the pool, Rooms are as expected, good beds but members of our party had trouble with the bed mattress feather toppers which don’t seem to fit the whole bed correctly. Only issue was the brown water that came out of the tap after a few nights, luckily I was washing my face and not cleaning my teeth when it came out, learnt to use bottled water from then on.

I had full signal wifi unlike my previous stay where you struggled to get a single bar when I was on the third floor, but other members of my party were not so lucky and needed to use the sit on the toilet or sit near the door trick to get a signal (hotel didn’t bother so send anyone to fix this even though they were asked many times)

Hotel staff range from very good to not bothered, concierge team have to be the best in the business, shame front desk aren’t and we had a bad experience with a waiter in the Italian restaurant who continued to snarl at us until someone asked if he had a problem and we wouldn’t tip if things didn’t improve.

Used the steam rooms and sauna, gym and are all excellent, even used the laundry service on many occasions, good service all-round.

Hotel extremely busy, especially with the caravan tours, breakfast could be a horrible time with the queues at 6am but often we were just waved through as the staff became to know us.

My last stay I commented on the prices charged by the hotel taxis and have to say that there has been much improvement, taxis are now always around the same price and you can also charge to the room.

As a Priority Rewards member we received a free bottle of water.

Due to stay later in the and can’t wait to be back.

Room Tip: see my latest review
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded June 20, 2013

Dear eslick, it is a great honor to have guests like you who not only are loyal to our location but offer great feedback comparing every pros and cons and understand we strive every day to improve our product and service. I personally thank you for been part of us and look forward to meet you on your next visit. Sincerely, Ramon

Reviewed June 16, 2013

Very nice hotel with several restaurants, a spa, gym, multiple pools and a bar. The staff were very friendly and knowledgeable and always happy to help us. We spent one night there and slept great - good pillows and mattresses. The location is a bit out of the way, but there is a mall nearby. It's a bit pricey, but for this kind of service and accommodations it is expected. The only complaint is it's hard to get around in the hotel. The spa and gym are in separate buildings, the rooms are in another.

• Stayed: June 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Merlin C
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded June 17, 2013

Dear Merlin C, we appreciate your nice comments and we look forward for a longer visit next time you come to Costa Rica. Thank you, Ramon.

Reviewed June 16, 2013

21 day business trip. Very nice location to shops and restaurants as well as airport. Beautiful grounds and the hotel restaurants food and service are top notch. Unfortunately my experience with this hotel is poor. The reservationist misspelled my name which created a problem anytime i wanted to put a service charge(food etc..) on my room account. "Front desk cant make corrections to reservations."The room i checked into has rust colored water in shower and then the air-condition unit was pouring water out of ceiling which resulted in the maintenance guy repairing it at 1am !! and then again at 7am!! Finally after no shower and a sleepless night the manager moved me to another room. However the bath tub didn't drain and the toilet leeks.. After several calls and visits to the front desk including the front end manager still no resolve. Totally disappointed and will not stay here on future visits to Costa Rica.

Room Tip: Many rooms overlook the beautiful pool area. I would recommend the Double Tree Hotel. The staff actu...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled on business

Dear David G, I sincerely apologize for the lack of follow-up of my staff along with the condition of your room. I highly appreciate if you can forward your contact information in order to discuss further the opportunities you faced during your long stay in our Hotel. Sincerely, Ramon Diago (ramon.diago@r-hr.com)

Reviewed June 9, 2013

Great place but I been a regular stayer (more than 60 nights per year) its hard for me to believe that they still don't know my room preferences or my payment methods.
The new tower is very nice, but the older part even dirty water had come out of the showers at least on 3 of my stays. Also in the site that you wait for elevators that take you upstairs in the old part, there is huge (seems like water damage) stain on the ceiling that has been there for more than a year....
All the issues before i have pointed out to staff but don't see any action taken.

Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded June 12, 2013

Dear Juan A, please accept our most sincere apologies for the lack of quality of service from our staff, I kindly ask you to send your contact information to my Rooms Division Manager, Ernesto Carrero (ernesto.carrero@r-hr.com) in order to obtain more details about these opportunities. Thank you, Ramon

Reviewed May 30, 2013

I stayed in this hotel in the past and recently a couple of weeks ago. Actually I was checking out these and other hotels for a future company event.
This could be the hotel for you or might not be depending on what you like. This hotel is very business like crowded and with a busy Lobby. Traffic could be an issue to get to the airport and other areas of San Jose. If you like a quiet hotel, more tourist or resort like, this is not the hotel for you. You have other options for this in San Jose, with better pool area and amenities.

Room rates are higher than other comparable hotels in the San Jose area may offer the same or better amenities at a lowe price. I guess location is the reason across the street from the Megaplaza mall. At the same time this location could be a nightmare due to the traffic from and to Escazu. Especially if you need to get and arrive from the airport. Other hotels are closer to the airport. I do not think locations justify the higher price since the hotel shows lots of signs of deterioration

At first look, the hotel looks nice if you look at the lobby the 5 restaurants and pool area, but if you look more closely, the hotel does show signs of deterioration. Furniture already shows wear and tear, and even dirty. You can see this on the desk, headboard, night stands, chairs. Curtains are losing color, carpets throughout are showing wear and tear. I stayed on room on the fourth floor towards the floor of the building and I could not sleep well since there was a banging metal noise on and off coming from the outside wall. The bed was not the best and I for me bed should be the best if you are staying at a 5 stars hotel.

Service is ok, but could be better. I requested a late check out. They charge you 50% of rate if you if you check out before 5:00pm. That is ok with me, some hotels do charge some hotels do not charge and make is as a courtesy when it is a corporate rate, but since I call and requested the late check out and agreed to the charge, did not expect to get two calls to ask if I was checking out. It felt like they wanted me out of the room even when I already paid the late check out fee.

Room Tip: Ask for top floor and towards the back of the bulding
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded June 3, 2013

Dear ericucho n, thank you once again for your separate feedbacks about our Hotel and the Restaurant The Market, it is extremely concerning for me all points brought on your reviews. I highly appreciate if you can forward your contact information at your earliest convenience in order to discuss further personally. Sincerely, Ramon (ramon.diago@r-hr.com)

Reviewed May 18, 2013

Boasting of several restaurants, you wont starve in this hotel. Choices range from sushi, steak, seafood, and the local cuisine.

The outdoor swimming pools are suitably temperature controlled but be ready for people gazing at you in your swimmers as the restos are lined surrounding the pools.

Visit the gym and save time for spa afterwards, it will be worth it!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear Yogad2003, good to know you have the opportunity not to only enjoy our restaurants but also our different relaxing areas in the Hotel. Thank you, Ramon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Escazu
Sheraton San Jose Hotel
Courtyard San Jose Escazu
Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Residence Inn San Jose Escazu

Been to Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall? Share your experiences!