“Where Presidents Stay”

Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall
Ranked #3 of 11 Hotels in Escazu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 17, 2013

This hotel was included I the Caravan Tour and my party of four really enjoyed our stay. The rooms were plush, the staff was always smiling, greeting you and generally very pleasant to deal with. There is a nice bar/lounge off the lobby that has a cold assortment of beer/wine/coffees and cocktails...for some reason most of the seating is for three but the chairs can be moved to suit. The restaurant has hand tossed fresh pizza which I thought was unusual until it was explained that Italians were some of the first emigrants to help with the rail system therefore pasta and such are widely served. The buffet breakfast is plentiful, pleasing and look for the pastry section..you will be glad you did. I get up early and going outside with my coffee I saw parrots in the trees and also look outside around 5pm as they return. The grounds of this hotel are well maintained and very pleasing to walk around and the pools were getting a lot of use in the afternoon. A meeting of several "heads of state" was scheduled later on in the week and rumor was some were staying here. there is a shopping mall directly across the street with a pedestrian bridge to get across the street. We had a memorable stay here and I would definitely stay here again. Rooms were quiet, AC worked well, bathrooms were very nice with large luxury towels.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank flSandy
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded May 21, 2013

Dear FISandy, we are glad to have made your stay more memorable of what you expected, Caravan Tours is one of our top clients and they choose our facilities due to the quality levels of our services and products. Reason why we are also the preferred location for many international delegations that visit Costa Rica. Thank you, Ramon

Write a ReviewReviews (1,395)

Reviewed May 17, 2013

We stayed at the Real InterContinental for three nights in conjunction with an event that we hosted in their conference space. I was very impressed by the front desk service and hotel staff. My room was clean and very comfortable (super cozy bed), with nice bathroom amenities. The pool was gorgeous, definitely the highlight of the hotel! The bar was nice, and the breakfast buffet was quite good. I wasn't impressed by the Market restaurant's dinner.

I have a mixed review of our event experience. The venue was absolutely gorgeous - beautiful main hall, very nice conference rooms, great catering, good staff. The outdoor patio was lovely, as it allowed our networking area to be open-air. The only frustration was loud construction noise immediately outside our venue that continued throughout our entire event. We were never warned of this, and absolutely should not have been able to book the venue! The staff were extremely unhelpful and failed to stop the noise, only minimized it slightly. We were very disappointed. Fortunately the GM was on-site and very professionally dealt with the issue (after the fact). I would strongly urge the hotel to be more transparent about its ongoing construction, and offer event spaces accordingly.

Otherwise, I'd happily return!

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a pool view!
1  Thank gkincaid

Dear gkincaid, I am extremely sorry I was not able to completely turn around your experience in our Hotel. Rest assure we do our best to coordinate the convention center construction along with all the different events we hold in the Hotel in order to have the minimum possible disturbance for our guests. Thank you once again for booking your event with us and look forward to welcome you back. Ramon

Reviewed May 15, 2013

Not sure if it claims/aspires to be a 5-star by international standards - certainly the price is way up there - but there are one or two areas where it doesn't quite make it. Great staff and very good food (particularly the breakfast buffet but:
- the advertised 'purified' water in the bathroom is so heavily chlorinated as to be undrinkable (certainly for coffee)
- the wi-fi internet service is very poor (at least on our wing of the third floor it kept dropping off) - and it's not cheap. (There was internet cable, but the connector was broken) Internet should be free in a hotel of this price standard.
- the ice machine on the third floor was boken all the time we were there. Had to go down to the second floor. Difficult to fix??
- If I say at checkout that I have not used anything from the mini-bar, I don't expect to have to wait while they send someone to check! (not least as it's one of those ghastly 'automatic' ones). Very poor.

Room Tip: If you need wifi, ask for a room where it works!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank dougaldawn
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded May 16, 2013

Dear Dougaldawn, we are extremely sorry about the different opportunities you encountered during your stay, be advised that InterContinental Hotels & Resorts is in the process of relaunching our loyalty programs in order to have complementary internet services for our VIP guests like you. We are aware of the malfunctioning of the ice machine and it has been already addressed. Thank you, Ramon

Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed at the Intercontinental for just over 2 weeks in April/May and overall had a very pleasant stay. The only reason I have marked them down a star, is that my stay collided with a visit from the President of the USA, which basically resulted in us getting "locked in" for certain periods of time- and unable to use the facilities. On the Friday, we couldnt get to the office and had to work from the hotel, and on the Saturday (my only day off) I wasnt allowed to sit by the pool and was told it wouldnt be open until 2pm! (It actually opened about 11.30)- plus the gym/spa etc were closed. I appreciate this was out of the control of the hotel- but we received no prior warning which would have been nice.

However, apart from that- I only have good things to say. The staff were lovely- and soon knew my drinks order by memory. The choice of restaurants was great, and the breakfast in the market was fantastic. My room was cleaned to a great standard each day, and my dry cleaning returned early.

I will definitely be returning- just hopefully not at the same time as the President!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view
1  Thank Victoria S

Dear Victoria S, I do appreciate your loyalty to our Hotel Services and Staff, I personally apologized that your stay was damage by the International Delegation we had while you were here. Rest assure we did our best to minimize guest impact however there were situations out of control. Looking forward to welcome you back, Ramon

Reviewed May 12, 2013

Loved this hotel - stayed here for two days of meetings. Everything was great. Conference set-up was extremely professional, the food and beverage was impressive. The rooms were comfortable, good beds, great bathrooms, good amenities. Some of the best Sushi I have ever had at this hotel. The service was exceptionally friendly and it seemed like everyone spoke English (which spoiled me because I didn't even have to try my poor Spanish). Loved it.

1  Thank Veneas
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2013

Dear Veneas, one of the reasons our Hotel difference from our competitors is that we offer a high quality service for our business and leisure guests, not to mention the best products available in the market. Thank you for your GREAT review, Ramon

Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was the first stop hotel for our Caravan Tour and it was located right across the street from a large mall and grocery store. The hotel was very comfortable, the room spacious , staff courteous and helpful and the meals served buffet style very good. Didn't get to use the pool as the day was rainy and cool but it was a beautiful pool area.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank vacationgirl50

Dear Vacationgirl50, we are sorry to hear you could not enjoy our pool facilities due to our tropical weather but we are glad that you enjoyed the rest of your stay, I am sure you still had a great time with Caravan Tours and were able to travel around Costa Rica. Thank you, Ramon

Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is very well located, across the street is the major shopping center in town, besides being a five stars, has the best restaurants in town with a very decent pricing. They have four restaurants, an itialian, sushi, meat and a cafeteria with the best. This place is one of my favorites in town. Take advantage of sitting in the terrace to enjoy the weather.

Room Tip: Looking at the swiming pool or mountains
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Gitana28
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear Gitana28, we always welcome comments from our Local Customers as we believe that our Hotel is part of the community reason why try to be competitive within the area. Thank you and we look forward to have you back on any of our Restaurants. Ramon

Also consider these accommodations in or near Escazu
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Hotel Alta Las Palomas
Hotel Alta Las Palomas
#2 of 11 in Escazu
Courtyard by Marriott San Jose Escazu
Courtyard by Marriott San Jose E...
#2 of 5 in San Rafael de Escazu

Been to Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall? Share your experiences!