“Lovely hotel, helpful staff, great food- shame about President!”

Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall
Ranked #6 of 15 Hotels in Escazu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Lovely hotel, helpful staff, great food- shame about President!”
Reviewed May 15, 2013

I stayed at the Intercontinental for just over 2 weeks in April/May and overall had a very pleasant stay. The only reason I have marked them down a star, is that my stay collided with a visit from the President of the USA, which basically resulted in us getting "locked in" for certain periods of time- and unable to use the facilities. On the Friday, we couldnt get to the office and had to work from the hotel, and on the Saturday (my only day off) I wasnt allowed to sit by the pool and was told it wouldnt be open until 2pm! (It actually opened about 11.30)- plus the gym/spa etc were closed. I appreciate this was out of the control of the hotel- but we received no prior warning which would have been nice.

However, apart from that- I only have good things to say. The staff were lovely- and soon knew my drinks order by memory. The choice of restaurants was great, and the breakfast in the market was fantastic. My room was cleaned to a great standard each day, and my dry cleaning returned early.

I will definitely be returning- just hopefully not at the same time as the President!

Room Tip: Ask for a pool view
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Victoria S
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, May 16, 2013
Dear Victoria S, I do appreciate your loyalty to our Hotel Services and Staff, I personally apologized that your stay was damage by the International Delegation we had while you were here. Rest assure we did our best to minimize guest impact however there were situations out of control. Looking forward to welcome you back, Ramon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (217)
Reviewed May 12, 2013

Loved this hotel - stayed here for two days of meetings. Everything was great. Conference set-up was extremely professional, the food and beverage was impressive. The rooms were comfortable, good beds, great bathrooms, good amenities. Some of the best Sushi I have ever had at this hotel. The service was exceptionally friendly and it seemed like everyone spoke English (which spoiled me because I didn't even have to try my poor Spanish). Loved it.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Veneas
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
Dear Veneas, one of the reasons our Hotel difference from our competitors is that we offer a high quality service for our business and leisure guests, not to mention the best products available in the market. Thank you for your GREAT review, Ramon
Buffalo
Reviewed May 12, 2013

This was the first stop hotel for our Caravan Tour and it was located right across the street from a large mall and grocery store. The hotel was very comfortable, the room spacious , staff courteous and helpful and the meals served buffet style very good. Didn't get to use the pool as the day was rainy and cool but it was a beautiful pool area.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vacationgirl50
Dear Vacationgirl50, we are sorry to hear you could not enjoy our pool facilities due to our tropical weather but we are glad that you enjoyed the rest of your stay, I am sure you still had a great time with Caravan Tours and were able to travel around Costa Rica. Thank you, Ramon
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed May 7, 2013

This hotel is very well located, across the street is the major shopping center in town, besides being a five stars, has the best restaurants in town with a very decent pricing. They have four restaurants, an itialian, sushi, meat and a cafeteria with the best. This place is one of my favorites in town. Take advantage of sitting in the terrace to enjoy the weather.

Room Tip: Looking at the swiming pool or mountains
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Gitana28
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, May 9, 2013
Dear Gitana28, we always welcome comments from our Local Customers as we believe that our Hotel is part of the community reason why try to be competitive within the area. Thank you and we look forward to have you back on any of our Restaurants. Ramon
Metro Manila, Philippines
Reviewed May 7, 2013

I was disappointed with the property. The pool area is "worn" quite a bit. The lounge chairs
were ripped and tattered. The greenery was boring. The pool was a good size and looked clean.
It all looks like it could use an update. Being the Intercontinental, I was expecting a higher quality overall. The tower building was nice. The staff working in that area did not seem approachable.
They rarely looked up from their computer and did not seem friendly. The rooms do not have a
dresser/armoire which makes it difficult to live out of a suitcase for a week.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Teresa V
Dear tyroneonmymind, please accept my most sincere apologies for this experience at our Hotel. The Maintenance Team has been advised to check deeper the lounge chairs in order to be updated. I will review with my Front Office Manager your comments in regards to the attitude of the Front Desk Staff. Don’t hesitate to reach me directly for further comments. Sincerely, Ramon Diago, General Manager. (ramon.diago@r-hr.com)
Panama City, Panama
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Prior to 2013, I had stayed at this hotel many times in the last 15 years. It has an excellent location away from San Jose's hectic downtown. I found its restaurants to be very good. Its staff is very friendly and accommodating. However, the signs of deterioration are obvious: signs are dirty and worn out, curtains are fading and hallway carpets need to be replaced. Beds were uncomfortable from so much padding that has been stuffed underneath the mattresses ---very unlike Intercontinental. I stayed at the original building; I was told there is a new tower but cannot comment on the rooms there. This hotel will continue to be one of San Jose's best for some time, but its time for perhaps major renovations is now.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Raul J
Dear RaulJ, I do appreciate your opinion and rest assure that we take it very seriously, be advised that we are currently building our new Convention Center and once construction is over we already have scheduled renovating the Hotel side to include lobby area and guestrooms. Thank you, Ramon
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was expecting a clean, inviting and well run hotel. That's NOT what I got. As long as you don't look with both eyes it looks clean and well kept. My room had stains on the bed/sheets, the walls were all marked up and had knicks in it. The desk and tables in my room had cup stains and dirt all over them. The barrel was not empty when I got to my room.

Pros:
1. The breakfast in the Market was GREAT it had a lot of variety and the service was attentive.

2. The mall is across the street so if you forgot something or need a cheaper meal just walk across... they have all kinds of American stores there.

3. The pool was delightful

Cons:

1. I had a late lunch in the market (Pizza - greasy, cold and expensive and French Fries - fine)... it took over 40 minutes to get the pizza/fries and NO it was not busy the waiters were congregating around their station talking. I had to get up to ask a waiter to bring me another drink as I had waited for 5 minutes and tried waving from my seat.

2. The shower in my room worked GREAT but the tub did not drain of water. I called the Front Desk 2 times and even went down 2 times. The tub was still full of water in the morning when I left - no one ever came to fix it.

3. The bed sheets were COVERED in stains - the sheets looked like they were not washed. I again called down... no one ever came up.

I would choose to stay else where if I return to this area.

Room Tip: Make sure its clean. Ask for a room in the back ... mine room was over looking the front driveway an...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
4 Thank Nelle_1234
Dear Nelle_1234, it is a letdown as you mentioned not to receive a good review from you, we have identified the areas of improvement and each one of your points have been shared with our staff in order to avoid further recurrence. We hope to have new opportunity to change your experience. Thank you, Ramon
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escazu
Sheraton San Jose Hotel
Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu
Courtyard San Jose Escazu
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Residence Inn San Jose Escazu
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
4.5 of 5 bubbles 1,714 reviews

Been to Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall? Share your experiences!