“Becoming a Grand Old Dame?”

Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall
Ranked #4 of 13 Hotels in Escazu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed May 2, 2013

Prior to 2013, I had stayed at this hotel many times in the last 15 years. It has an excellent location away from San Jose's hectic downtown. I found its restaurants to be very good. Its staff is very friendly and accommodating. However, the signs of deterioration are obvious: signs are dirty and worn out, curtains are fading and hallway carpets need to be replaced. Beds were uncomfortable from so much padding that has been stuffed underneath the mattresses ---very unlike Intercontinental. I stayed at the original building; I was told there is a new tower but cannot comment on the rooms there. This hotel will continue to be one of San Jose's best for some time, but its time for perhaps major renovations is now.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Raul J
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded May 9, 2013

Dear RaulJ, I do appreciate your opinion and rest assure that we take it very seriously, be advised that we are currently building our new Convention Center and once construction is over we already have scheduled renovating the Hotel side to include lobby area and guestrooms. Thank you, Ramon

Write a ReviewReviews (1,393)

Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was expecting a clean, inviting and well run hotel. That's NOT what I got. As long as you don't look with both eyes it looks clean and well kept. My room had stains on the bed/sheets, the walls were all marked up and had knicks in it. The desk and tables in my room had cup stains and dirt all over them. The barrel was not empty when I got to my room.

Pros:
1. The breakfast in the Market was GREAT it had a lot of variety and the service was attentive.

2. The mall is across the street so if you forgot something or need a cheaper meal just walk across... they have all kinds of American stores there.

3. The pool was delightful

Cons:

1. I had a late lunch in the market (Pizza - greasy, cold and expensive and French Fries - fine)... it took over 40 minutes to get the pizza/fries and NO it was not busy the waiters were congregating around their station talking. I had to get up to ask a waiter to bring me another drink as I had waited for 5 minutes and tried waving from my seat.

2. The shower in my room worked GREAT but the tub did not drain of water. I called the Front Desk 2 times and even went down 2 times. The tub was still full of water in the morning when I left - no one ever came to fix it.

3. The bed sheets were COVERED in stains - the sheets looked like they were not washed. I again called down... no one ever came up.

I would choose to stay else where if I return to this area.

Room Tip: Make sure its clean. Ask for a room in the back ... mine room was over looking the front driveway an...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled solo
4  Thank Nelle_1234

Dear Nelle_1234, it is a letdown as you mentioned not to receive a good review from you, we have identified the areas of improvement and each one of your points have been shared with our staff in order to avoid further recurrence. We hope to have new opportunity to change your experience. Thank you, Ramon

Reviewed April 19, 2013

Friendly staff,
I have stayed in suite with terrace and outdoor Jacuzzi. Great, and even unexpected in an hotel located in San Jose
very good restaurant for meat.
italian restaurant ..........nothing in common with Italy
Best hotel in San Jose...

Room Tip: only 2 or 3 suites
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jeanluc1
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded April 27, 2013

Dear Jeanluc1, good to know you enjoyed the accommodations of one of our Master Suites, my apologies that our new menu from Alfredo Restaurant was not what you expected. Thank you, Ramon

Reviewed April 14, 2013

We only stayed one night but loved every minute.
Check in...easy,check out easy,pools wonderful,bathroom amazing,easy safe,soft cozy bed,breakfast buffet super great,staff was friendly,mall short walk or they will call you a car, would stay again anytime!

Room Tip: We woke with a view of the mountains,amazing!it was on the 5 the floor.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank travellingpope
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded April 15, 2013

Dear travellingpope, making great impressions on short stays is something we are proud of to make in our Hotel however we are greater on longer ones. We invite you to come back and experience it. Thank you, Ramon

Reviewed April 12, 2013

Excellent option in San Jose either for leisure or business travel

I stayed just one night and it's a pity I couldn´t stayed there some more time.

Pros:
- Executive floor which is worth it. Good range of food options and great happy hour. Alcoholic drinks are included
- Great gym with new machines and important number of aerobic machines
- High internet connection
- Great swimming pool (huge) and nice hot tub
- Very kind personnel
- No cue at the check in or check out time
- 20 minutes from the airport
- Rooms absolutely quiet.
- In front of a commercial center if you are into shooping

cons
- You need to pay for internet (I´m platinum ambassador and I had to pay for it)
- Breakfast at the executive floor is just average (they don´t cook your egg options for example) and juice (in Costa Rica!!!) are not natural

Room Tip: executive tower is a good option
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jos8Toledo

Dear Jos8Toledo, be advised that our main company IHG is in the process of relaunching our loyalty programs where complementary Internet Services will be among the future worlwide benefits as a Platinum Ambassador. Thank you for all the Pros and Cons you mentioned. We look forward to welcome you back on a longer stay. Sincerely, Ramon

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I really expected Intercontinental to make our stay a real "wow", but this visit was marred by a couple of small to medium-sized things, which I'll come onto in a moment.

Let's deal with the positives first - very friendly and helpful staff, club tower lounge was excellent (one of the best executive hotel lounges ever experienced), food very good, and general layout and facilities excellent.

But the negatives, which detracted and prevented my giving five out of five
1. Avoid room 376 if what I write bothers you - the toilet area fills with around half an inch/1cm of shower water - why? This room is designed for wheelchair guests and allows access to the shower. However, in my humble opinion, the floor hasn't been laid correctly and water pools at the toilet end of the bathroom. You can see a line after showering where the shower area has drained away and the shower waste remains around the toilet. So, unless you're happy to dry your feet after every visit to the toilet, you'll probably prefer to bath each day.
2. The shower head (I discovered during my only shower) sprays water over such a wide area that I almost had to move around to get wet (a bit of an exaggeration but you get my point)
3. The disposable cups left for coffee were not replaced when the room was serviced each day (we stayed for 3 nights) so we had go to the club tower lounge and ask for more cups twice.
4. The air-conditioning in our room was pretty noisy, even on the lowest setting, so we slept without using it.
5. Finally, our room was just on the cusp of being "tired". Still OK, but stains and marks appearing on carpets and chairs

We could have moved to another room but this was a short stay in the middle of a longer trip. We couldn't face repacking and moving our luggage so we worked around the problem by bathing instead of showering. When we reported the floor flooding problem to staff they were sympathetic and did send someone to clean and dry the floor while we were at dinner. I don't believe this was the first time the problem was reported.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NLJS
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear NLJS, I sincerely apologize for the condition of your room, I have already passed your comments to our Director of Engineering and Housekeeping in order to rectify such deficiencies. The Club Lounge staff sends you their gratitude, thank you for your feedback and we hope you give us a second chance and you are able to rate us five out of five. Sincerely, Ramon

Reviewed April 7, 2013

The staff was awesome, many places to eat, the tuna burger I had was the best I have ever eaten, fresh, cooked to order and very tasty sauce. Sushi was good. It is also walking distance to a mall with more restaurants and local color.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ted R
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Ted R, what a pleasure to host you during your most recent business trip, our Executive Chef will be delighted to hear your compliments about the Tuna Burger. Thank you, Ramon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Escazu
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Hotel Alta Las Palomas
Hotel Alta Las Palomas
#3 of 13 in Escazu
Courtyard by Marriott San Jose Escazu

Been to Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall? Share your experiences!