I really expected Intercontinental to make our stay a real "wow", but this visit was marred by a couple of small to medium-sized things, which I'll come onto in a moment.
Let's deal with the positives first - very friendly and helpful staff, club tower lounge was excellent (one of the best executive hotel lounges ever experienced), food very good, and general layout and facilities excellent.
But the negatives, which detracted and prevented my giving five out of five
1. Avoid room 376 if what I write bothers you - the toilet area fills with around half an inch/1cm of shower water - why? This room is designed for wheelchair guests and allows access to the shower. However, in my humble opinion, the floor hasn't been laid correctly and water pools at the toilet end of the bathroom. You can see a line after showering where the shower area has drained away and the shower waste remains around the toilet. So, unless you're happy to dry your feet after every visit to the toilet, you'll probably prefer to bath each day.
2. The shower head (I discovered during my only shower) sprays water over such a wide area that I almost had to move around to get wet (a bit of an exaggeration but you get my point)
3. The disposable cups left for coffee were not replaced when the room was serviced each day (we stayed for 3 nights) so we had go to the club tower lounge and ask for more cups twice.
4. The air-conditioning in our room was pretty noisy, even on the lowest setting, so we slept without using it.
5. Finally, our room was just on the cusp of being "tired". Still OK, but stains and marks appearing on carpets and chairs
We could have moved to another room but this was a short stay in the middle of a longer trip. We couldn't face repacking and moving our luggage so we worked around the problem by bathing instead of showering. When we reported the floor flooding problem to staff they were sympathetic and did send someone to clean and dry the floor while we were at dinner. I don't believe this was the first time the problem was reported.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall is ideal for business and leisure, we invite you to discover this urban retreat in the heart of Escazu, San Jose's most exclusive neighborhood. The hotel is located within the city's most prestigious shopping mall complex, where you will find upscale stores, bars and the finest restaurants. Escazu Corporate Center and Plaza Roble Corporate Center are just a short stroll away from the hotel. This San Jose, Costa Rica hotel features the hottest concepts in entertainment and dining, including four trendy and lively concept restaurants: The Market, Factory Steak and Lobster, NAU Sushi Lounge and Pimento. The hotel's full service spa blends with nature, it is perfect for guests that want to escape and relax in our outdoor massage rooms or enjoy our Finnish sauna, Vichy showers, steam baths or an array of other relaxing massage treatments. The hotel's updated fitness center overlooks serene tropical gardens, a Jacuzzi and three heated outdoor pools. For meetings and events, the hotel offers a new Corporate Center with thirteen modern event rooms and a ballroom that can accommodate up to 3,000 people. All guestrooms are designed to fulfill the needs of today's global traveler, with streaming speed Internet access, soundproof windows, total blackout curtains, bedding with 300 thread count Egyptian cotton sheets, LCD TVs, alarm clock with mobile docking station, wireless telephone and more. On the second floor of our Club Tower guests will find the exclusive Club InterContinental lounge, where they can enjoy complimentary breakfast, afternoon cocktails and hors d'oeuvres. Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall is just 9 miles away from Juan Santamaria International Airport. On your next visit to San Jose, stay at the place to be in Escazu, where work and play blend perfectly. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with IHG, Expedia, Travelocity, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon, getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Real Intercontinental Hotel And Club Tower Costa Rica
- Intercontinental Hotel Escazu
- Real Costa Rica Intercontinental
- Real InterContinental Costa Rica At Multiplaza Mall Escazu