“I wish I could be more positive...”

Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Escazu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed April 8, 2013

I really expected Intercontinental to make our stay a real "wow", but this visit was marred by a couple of small to medium-sized things, which I'll come onto in a moment.

Let's deal with the positives first - very friendly and helpful staff, club tower lounge was excellent (one of the best executive hotel lounges ever experienced), food very good, and general layout and facilities excellent.

But the negatives, which detracted and prevented my giving five out of five
1. Avoid room 376 if what I write bothers you - the toilet area fills with around half an inch/1cm of shower water - why? This room is designed for wheelchair guests and allows access to the shower. However, in my humble opinion, the floor hasn't been laid correctly and water pools at the toilet end of the bathroom. You can see a line after showering where the shower area has drained away and the shower waste remains around the toilet. So, unless you're happy to dry your feet after every visit to the toilet, you'll probably prefer to bath each day.
2. The shower head (I discovered during my only shower) sprays water over such a wide area that I almost had to move around to get wet (a bit of an exaggeration but you get my point)
3. The disposable cups left for coffee were not replaced when the room was serviced each day (we stayed for 3 nights) so we had go to the club tower lounge and ask for more cups twice.
4. The air-conditioning in our room was pretty noisy, even on the lowest setting, so we slept without using it.
5. Finally, our room was just on the cusp of being "tired". Still OK, but stains and marks appearing on carpets and chairs

We could have moved to another room but this was a short stay in the middle of a longer trip. We couldn't face repacking and moving our luggage so we worked around the problem by bathing instead of showering. When we reported the floor flooding problem to staff they were sympathetic and did send someone to clean and dry the floor while we were at dinner. I don't believe this was the first time the problem was reported.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank NLJS
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded April 12, 2013

Dear NLJS, I sincerely apologize for the condition of your room, I have already passed your comments to our Director of Engineering and Housekeeping in order to rectify such deficiencies. The Club Lounge staff sends you their gratitude, thank you for your feedback and we hope you give us a second chance and you are able to rate us five out of five. Sincerely, Ramon

There are newer reviews for Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall

Reviewed April 7, 2013

The staff was awesome, many places to eat, the tuna burger I had was the best I have ever eaten, fresh, cooked to order and very tasty sauce. Sushi was good. It is also walking distance to a mall with more restaurants and local color.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Ted R
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded April 8, 2013

Dear Ted R, what a pleasure to host you during your most recent business trip, our Executive Chef will be delighted to hear your compliments about the Tuna Burger. Thank you, Ramon.

Reviewed April 5, 2013

The location was fairly close to the airport, convenient within walking distance to a huge mall, had comfortable acommodations, several pools and a nice outdoor area. Decor in the public areas was varied and unusual. Breakfast buffet was very good; however, there were only 2 elevators to service the entire building, which would fill up when bellboys would bring up luggage or during busy times. We were on a tour and the separate dinner rooms had bland food and poor service. We did not visit any of the regular restaurants in the hotels other than the Martketplace, so I can't judge them.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
2  Thank PhoebeGR
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2013

Dear PhoebeGR, my sincere apologies for the quality of the food during your group dinner rest assure your comments will be passed to our Executive Chef in order to maintain the food quality that our establishment always offers. Thank you, Ramon.

Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is better place than where I used to stay - with Multiplaza near, my room bigger and brighter BUT maybe it is just me but the experience was really poor for me. An unemptied trash can however welcomed me (am lucky there's no icky stuff inside) - called the housekeeping/reception and no one ever came. I wanted to call outside but the process was so complicated that I can't make a local call or international call - the operator told me to go the front desk and the front desk told me to call operator and buy a call card in the shop which was already closed. What?! I gave up. Good thing for technology - there are other ways to call my friend and family.

Then came payment time, I was double charged and I found this when I came back home. I emailed based on the email address in my billing statement - it bounced back. I called 1x - phone wont get through; 2nd time, it did but I have to be redirected to nowhere hence international phone bill to no avail. I was asked to email instead, one week later, no response. A sign that offer Departure Tax payment convenience happily welcomes you in the front desk but viola, it's not available. What's new?

Am trying to think of anything positive - breakfast! Yeah - I suppose that could be the saving grace! Hefty good meal and choices - oatmeal needed to be ordered but readily available. No pancakes but there's waffles so good enough for me. I especially liked the yoghurt fruit parfait that they come up with - I don't miss it :)

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Cathy B

Dear Ms. Cathybuster, my sincere apologies for the obvious annoyance during your last stay in our Hotel. I would like to personally speak with you in order to get further details about these opportunities, I highly appreciate if you can please forward your directly to my email ramon.diago@r-hr.com . Sincerely, Ramon Diago (General Manager)

Reviewed March 29, 2013

I have stay in this hotel more than once and it is always been a pleasure to stay in this Hotel. I enjoy the food at all restaurants, the bed and the personell that attends the guest very well.
As part of a feedback, the Hotel must offer free wi fi. The mayority of the Hotels includes free wifi.
A couple years ago, i remeber that the breakfast was always included for people who stayed in standard room. Now it is not inlcuded. I also notice that the price per night increase. So this does not make sense as the price increase but the breakfast is taken out. If the hotel increase theprice per night, at least mantain everything you offer.

Hope this feedback helps improve the hotel to continue giving the highest hotel standard.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Dear Ottavio E, we always take any feedback positively, IHG our matrix company is currently looking for alternatives for our loyal guests in order to eliminate internet charges on any destination of InterContinental Hotels & Resorts. In regards to our rates and offerings we do our best to be competitive within the market while offer the best in service. Thank you once again, Ramon.

Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed here one night after a cruise. The hotel is gorgeous. The room was clean, and the bed was comfy. This location has a nice pool, spa, and several restaurants. We ate dinner and breakfast at The Marketplace in the hotel. It was delicious! Service all over the hotel was excellent. From arranging transportation to recommending restaurants, they exceeded my expectations!

• Stayed: March 2013
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded March 27, 2013

Dear moochelle1, exceeding expectations is a high end goal which we are proud to have achieved with you, we look forward to welcome you back for a longer stay. Thank you, Ramon

Reviewed March 24, 2013

We done a tour of Costa Rica - we stayed here two nights at the beginning and one at the end. I can was more than happy with the hotel and the beds were fantastic- it was nice to have a bit of comfort when you have travelled a lot. The breakfasts were very good although unfortunately we didn't get a chance to eat here with our busy schedule. There is a supermarket opposite which I would advise people to visit for water and such - because while I am not mean I don't like being ripped off - and for the sake of literally two minutes walk theres no worries - plus it gets you a look around the spacious shopping centre.
All in all a very good hotel and would not hestitate to stay again.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DorothyCumbria
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2013

Dear DorothyCumbria, thank you for letting us be your first and last impression of Costa Rica. We look forward to welcome you back so you can enjoy our different restaurants as well. Sincerely, Ramon.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Escazu
Sheraton San Jose Hotel
Courtyard San Jose Escazu
Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Residence Inn San Jose Escazu

Been to Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall? Share your experiences!