“Unpleasant Stay”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Manila, Philippines
“Unpleasant Stay”
Reviewed March 30, 2013

This is better place than where I used to stay - with Multiplaza near, my room bigger and brighter BUT maybe it is just me but the experience was really poor for me. An unemptied trash can however welcomed me (am lucky there's no icky stuff inside) - called the housekeeping/reception and no one ever came. I wanted to call outside but the process was so complicated that I can't make a local call or international call - the operator told me to go the front desk and the front desk told me to call operator and buy a call card in the shop which was already closed. What?! I gave up. Good thing for technology - there are other ways to call my friend and family.

Then came payment time, I was double charged and I found this when I came back home. I emailed based on the email address in my billing statement - it bounced back. I called 1x - phone wont get through; 2nd time, it did but I have to be redirected to nowhere hence international phone bill to no avail. I was asked to email instead, one week later, no response. A sign that offer Departure Tax payment convenience happily welcomes you in the front desk but viola, it's not available. What's new?

Am trying to think of anything positive - breakfast! Yeah - I suppose that could be the saving grace! Hefty good meal and choices - oatmeal needed to be ordered but readily available. No pancakes but there's waffles so good enough for me. I especially liked the yoghurt fruit parfait that they come up with - I don't miss it :)

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
2 Thank Cathy B
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, April 6, 2013
Dear Ms. Cathybuster, my sincere apologies for the obvious annoyance during your last stay in our Hotel. I would like to personally speak with you in order to get further details about these opportunities, I highly appreciate if you can please forward your directly to my email ramon.diago@r-hr.com . Sincerely, Ramon Diago (General Manager)

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (224)
San Jose, Costa Rica
Reviewed March 29, 2013 via mobile

I have stay in this hotel more than once and it is always been a pleasure to stay in this Hotel. I enjoy the food at all restaurants, the bed and the personell that attends the guest very well.
As part of a feedback, the Hotel must offer free wi fi. The mayority of the Hotels includes free wifi.
A couple years ago, i remeber that the breakfast was always included for people who stayed in standard room. Now it is not inlcuded. I also notice that the price per night increase. So this does not make sense as the price increase but the breakfast is taken out. If the hotel increase theprice per night, at least mantain everything you offer.

Hope this feedback helps improve the hotel to continue giving the highest hotel standard.

Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Dear Ottavio E, we always take any feedback positively, IHG our matrix company is currently looking for alternatives for our loyal guests in order to eliminate internet charges on any destination of InterContinental Hotels & Resorts. In regards to our rates and offerings we do our best to be competitive within the market while offer the best in service. Thank you once again, Ramon.
Forsyth, Georgia
Reviewed March 26, 2013

We stayed here one night after a cruise. The hotel is gorgeous. The room was clean, and the bed was comfy. This location has a nice pool, spa, and several restaurants. We ate dinner and breakfast at The Marketplace in the hotel. It was delicious! Service all over the hotel was excellent. From arranging transportation to recommending restaurants, they exceeded my expectations!

• Stayed March 2013
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, March 27, 2013
Dear moochelle1, exceeding expectations is a high end goal which we are proud to have achieved with you, we look forward to welcome you back for a longer stay. Thank you, Ramon
Cumbria
Reviewed March 24, 2013

We done a tour of Costa Rica - we stayed here two nights at the beginning and one at the end. I can was more than happy with the hotel and the beds were fantastic- it was nice to have a bit of comfort when you have travelled a lot. The breakfasts were very good although unfortunately we didn't get a chance to eat here with our busy schedule. There is a supermarket opposite which I would advise people to visit for water and such - because while I am not mean I don't like being ripped off - and for the sake of literally two minutes walk theres no worries - plus it gets you a look around the spacious shopping centre.
All in all a very good hotel and would not hestitate to stay again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank DorothyCumbria
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, March 25, 2013
Dear DorothyCumbria, thank you for letting us be your first and last impression of Costa Rica. We look forward to welcome you back so you can enjoy our different restaurants as well. Sincerely, Ramon.
Myrtle Beach, South Carolina
Reviewed March 23, 2013

Was part of a tour group, so did no make my own booking, but found the hotel to be typical of overpriced chains. The food we were served was nothing special, although breakfast was nice, but not much above the quality of a budget chain. Rooms were fine but nothing special. Once again, upscale hotels seem to think overcharging for internet makes sense - it doesn't to me. Huge mall across the street - especially with a hugh modern supermarket, helped bring costs in line. Pool area was beautiful.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
2 Thank DoDDSTravelingteach
Dear DoDDSTravellingteach, We regret to know that you think our hotel is overpriced; we always look to be competitive while we provide the best, reason why Tour Operators choose our Hotel for their important groups. Thank you, Ramon.
Miami
Reviewed March 19, 2013

This is the place to stay. It is located in the best neighborhood right across the street from one of the nicest malls (Multi Plaza)in Costa Rica. Easy access to Down Town, the beaches or anywhere you want to go. Some of the best restaurants in the country you will find in Escazu or next door in Santa Ana.

One very important tip would be the two towers. The old and the new. Whats the difference the old is a 4star and the new is a 5star. Thats as simple as I can put it. Do what you can to get into the new tower(spa tower) its worth it. As stated above the location is perfect. The 4 main restaurants are all fantastic. You have a Sushi restaurant which is the 2nd best sushi in the city behind Suhsi Kai (lindora). Then you have an italian place which is top 5 Italian in city (expensive).The steak house (factory) which has incredible Kobe burgers and Steaks. I would rank it 3rd behind Esquina de Buenos aires (Down Town) and Novillo Alegre (Lindora or Escazu). The other restaurant is open 24 hours and its THE MARKET Restaurant. They just completely redid it so its real nice especially for late night munchies etc. Its basically the room service menu with some build your own option for pizzas and sandwiches. It can be very slow so avoid when busy if possible. The Bar at the hotel to me is the best part. Great for people watching and enjoying a drink. I sometimes ask for a restaurant menu and eat my food at the bar.

The hotel has some construction going on expanding the conference area. Did not affect me what so ever in the new tower do not know about noise in other tower. This is a very enjoyable hotel and highly recommend it for any type of visit. Hope this helps.

Room Tip: Spa tower high floor.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Vatsmia
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, March 21, 2013
Dear Vatsmia, it is impressive the local knowledge you have of the area along with the restaurant comparison you are able to share, thank you for keeping us among the best, comments like yours compromise ourselves even more to be number one on your list. Thank you, Ramon
Reviewed March 19, 2013

I booked this hotel for my wife and daughter who were traveling to Costa Rica for a dental treatment. This hotel was in the area of Escazu where the procedure would be done, so I thought a "nice" resort like this would be good.
After researching the hotel, and reading the reviews on this page, I felt like I had a good spot where they could stay in one place, have breakfast in the morning, hordourves at night and just relax by the pool, but I was SO disappointed when they got back.

While they were booked for a "club tower" room, which provided the complimentary breakfast and hordourves and drinks in the evening, they were NOT put on the floor - OR they were not informed. It was a very stressful trip for my wife, so when I asked her about her breakfast in the morning, she told me they never had it. She said the room was fine, and they had a view of the room, but I asked her, weren't you put on the floor where you could have the complimentary breakfast and hordourves at night? She said no - and no one said anything to her about it when they checked in.

She did receive a small discount because she was a flight attendant - so perhaps the front desk just put her somewhere in the tower, but I still had the pay the bill and they didn't get what they paid for.

They are traveling back again to finish their procedures again in a couple of months and there is NO WAY we would recommend the hotel. At this point, you question if this hotel is simply ripping people off.

Room Tip: Make sure when you book a specific room - BEFORE you check in - you inquire about all the amenities...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Dear defore4735, please accept my most sincere apologies on behalf of my team for not delivering to your family what they were booked for. I do appreciate if you can reach me at your earliest convenience in order to get more details about these opportunities. Sincerely, Ramon Diago (ramon.diago@r-hr.com)
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escazu
Sheraton San Jose Hotel
Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu
Residence Inn San Jose Escazu
Courtyard San Jose Escazu
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Holiday Inn San Jose-Escazu

Been to Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall? Share your experiences!