“Excellent stay!”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Saskatoon, Canada
“Excellent stay!”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

We stayed at this hotel while taking a tour of Costa Rica. Fabulous staff. We arrived at noon and were able to get into our room. There is a fee for Internet however the desk clerk advised us to sign up for their rewards program (which is at no cost) and the Internet would be available at no charge. We also received complimentary bottles of water.

There is a beautiful pool area with hot tub. They were decorating for a wedding - was incredible what they did!!

The meals were good. The rooms spacious.

It is not close to the center of San Jose. It's an $18 taxi ride one way. It is walking distance to a very large "American" type mall. The mall is very expensive.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Lorraine242
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, January 25, 2013
Thank you for your positive comments about our location, facilities, food and staff, Also we I would like to welcome you to our Priority Club Program where you can accrue points/miles on any hotel within InterContinental Hotels Group. We look forward to welcome you back to Costa Rica.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (222)
Alpharetta, Georgia
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I recently spent one night at the Real InterContinental - San Jose CR. I had stayed at some of the "nicer" San Jose hotels before and was not impressed. This time, I was overwhelmed. Check in was seamless even though I was checking in at noon! I was given a nice room.. no view but overall a very nice room. Threw my bags in and went out to see eat a nice meal and see what was in the neighborhood.

Had a fabulous mean at a nearby restaurant called "Product C".. extremely nice!

When I returned to my room it was a bit hotter than my likes. I called the front desk and they were to send someone up.. after an hour and no-show, I called and asked for a different room. The didn't hesitate to accommodate me and moved me to a room with a view of the pool. It was a nice view. The room was fabulous.

I did not use the spa, but I did walk thru it.. very high end.

I was only there for one night but I really wanted to stay longer. --- Next time!

The included breakfast was just indescribable -- I took a book and a seat on the patio by the pool, had a leisurely breakfast of wonderful fresh fruit and so many choices, I couldn't work my way thru it all as hard as I tried.

Can't wait to go again - will definitely stay at this location again.

Room Tip: get a room with a pool view. the rooms on the street side - windows were dirty and scenery was noth...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
Ramon_Diago, General Manager at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, February 2, 2013
It was our pleasure to host you in our hotel at least for one night, once again we do apologize for the challenges experienced with the A/C in your first room; we are glad that quality of our breakfast exceeded your expectations. Please make sure on your next visit you are able to enjoy any of our other 3 restaurants in the Hotel we are confident you will enjoy them as well.
Thornton-le-Moor, United Kingdom
Reviewed January 15, 2013

Flew into Costa Rica yesterday. This hotel is top notch with a splendid spa facility .... Great outdoor swimming pools and no extra charge. Several restaurants - we went to the Asian / Japanese style one - Nao. Excellent Sushi and tempura and very reasonable prices.
Breakfast buffet style, leaning to the American market I should think - pancakes and maple syrup! But excellent choice, plenty of fruit and interesting bread.

Room Tip: We had room 216 with view over pools etc. great room
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Avocettoo
Ramon_Diago, Director General at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, January 18, 2013
Thank you very much for your great comments about our hotel. Great to know that you enjoyed your stay, particularly our spa great gastronomy alternatives.
We truly appreciate you having the Real InterContinental as your hotel of choice when visiting Costa Rica.
Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed January 14, 2013

The hotel is great - with a very nice spa - and the staff is attentive. The hotel has good restaurants that attract not only the guests but local people as well. There is a good shopping mall just across the street, what helps the time run faster in a city in which there is nothing to do for leisure.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Lilian F
Thank you very much for your fantastic review about our hotel. We are thrilled to learn that you enjoyed your stay, having the opportunity to enjoy our spa, our array of restaurants and the efficiency of our staff.
Thanks again. Please let us be your host once again in your next trip to Costa Rica.
Vienna, Austria
Reviewed January 13, 2013

My husband and I spent two nights here in January 2012. The check-in process and porter service was efficient and smooth.

The room was pleasant but some of the furniture was badly worn. For example, the top layer of leather had been worn away from the desk-chair making the surface really rough and not suitable for sitting on. The bed was big and comfortable. The bathroom was good and functional, however we were supplied with an eclectic mix of toiletries of different brands and sorts. There was coffee brewer complete with Costa Rican coffee. The wifi signal was OK for computers but not strong enough to connect smart phones. The rooms were not well insulted, so the quality of sleep will depend on how noisy your neighbours are.

We had a couple of occasions where we tried to contact the hotel's "instant service" for assistance however on each occasion the call rang out and was not returned. This was disappointing and not up to Intercontinental Hotel's usual high standards.

The pool area was large and clean with three pools and a jacuzzi. Each afternoon a large flock of green parrots would appear and settle in the trees surrounding the pool, which was lovely.

Buffet breakfast was offered in The Market restaurant with a large range of choices of hot/cold and international/local dishes. There was also a large range of fresh fruits and fruit juices. We had a lunch in this restaurant and found the quality of the food to be good, however the service was not so good. The wait-staff were slow to take our order and then we waited for around 45 minutes to receive our food. Likewise we were disappointed with Nau Lounge, the attitude of the staff was appalling.

The location of this hotel is convenient as it less than 30 minutes to the airport and situated right next the the Multiplaza shopping centre. Four stars as the location, amenities and front-desk staff were all excellent. More work needs to be done with some of the finer details and the wait-staff.

One final note, we ordered some still water to have with our lunch and were very disappointed to be brought a bottle of Voss water from Norway. Costa Rica has some of the most purest water so why on earth do they need to fly in bottled water from Norway? We raised this with our waiter but he did not seem to care. I do hope the FB manager reads this.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank runsammie
Thank you very much for taking your valuable time to send us your comments about your stay with.
We feel very happy that you enjoyed your stay, particularly the service at check in, the comfort of our rooms, the great coffee from Costa Rica, our surrounding areas and the buffet breakfast offered in our Market restaurant.
I regret to learn the inconveniences you encountered when trying to connect to our WiFi signal, the furniture that was badly worn and our instant service assistance not responding. I was also disappointed to learn about the inconveniences found in some of our restaurants. Please accept our most sincere apologies.
I truly appreciate your comments that will only help us avoid these type isolated incidents. Rests assure we are taking the necessary corrective measures.

Thank you again for choosing the Real InterContinental as your hotel to stay, we hope to have another opportunity to serve you whenever your travel plans bring you back to Costa Rica.
Miami, Florida
Reviewed January 11, 2013

Considering this hotel is rated so highly we booked this for our first visit to Costa Rica and to celebrate Xmas Eve before carrying on to a beach resort on the Pacific coast.We hired a car and got lost within miles of its location finding ourselves in a not too pleasant neighbourhood.Totally lost we hailed a taxi and followed with great expectation only to be saddened with the area of location.The hotel was iconic and impressive in its modern construction arriving at the entrance the single member of staff welcomed us put the bags on the trolley and accepted a ten dollar tip with gratitude then told me we should have gone to the other entrance to check in and to park the car myself....................When I found the executive concierge it was all welcomes to a Royal Ambassador member and welcome to our hotel.The room was large and well appointed but no welcome gifts to be found or cards or welcome letter from Management which is normally standard.As it was only early evening we asked reception if we could dine in their new restaurant that had seafood and was shocked to learn they were fully booked with local families and that guests sadly did not have any priority and had we pre booked a table,obviously not and we were told that festivities would start around 9pm but if we wanted a rushed meal to get ourselves downstairs pronto.......................We asked to speak to the duty Manager who was not present and at home with his family and the lady at concierge did everything in her power to squeeze us into the Italian restaurant which was apparently deserted and said we could order from any of the menus as the one kitchen supplied all the restaurants.We had been given a nice table but the atmosphere was lacking for Xmas eve the food was well presented but nothing special the only plus was a bottle of champagne and a fine Chilean wine with dinner,the server was very pleasant and went out of her way to apologise at the way we were treated and of course received a large tip for her personal consideration.We left about 9.15 as guests and family en-suite began to arrive in the bus load.
The following morning we were receiving a group of friends for breakfast on the Club Intercontinental floor all of which an additional charge was made to our account,at 8.30 we received our friends in a totally deserted Club Lounge,the buffet apparently had been open since 7am or earlier and remained untouched and stale,visually poor in both quality and content,the bread was hard and dry the poor and minimal amounts were actually pathetic to the point of being an insult to guests.The staffs attitude was rude to say the least and quite offensive to start the morning of Xmas.We complained so heavily that eventually some managerial individual appeared and tried to remedy the problem by sending all the hot food back to the kitchen including my comments to the Chef in charge.The waiter told me that the Chef had lost his temper and had said openly thats the best I am prepared to do and continued with other things.The replacement eggs and bacon came out of the kitchen eventually after a long wait and was more acceptable,our embarassment was now total as we were made to lose face with good friends who also commented this was a poor standard for the hotel which is supposed to be the best in San Jose.At this point we decided to check out and continue our journey.At reception we paid our bill and found nobody caring enough to fetch the car or help with the luggage.All in all a one night room and evening meal cost close to $750.00 US the service in general as well as the lack of concern by management was pathetic,The hotel branded as an Intercontinental is in no way representative of the usual standards in my opinion it rates as one of the worst in Central America with pathetic service from most of the Managerial staff,the general staff did the best they were allowed to do.As a Royal Ambassador member I know what I should expect from service and sadly this hotel does not meet my standards or the standards for the brand worldwide.A VERY DISAPPOINTING EXPERIENCE.

Room Tip: All the rooms would probably conform to a high standard and ours being a suite was very nice with a...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Please accept my most sincere apologies for this experience during Xmas Eve; it definitely does not reflect our excellent service and facilities we are proud of. We truly regret that you were recognized as an IHG Royal Ambassador as you are used to. Rest assure that I will personally meet with all the related Department Heads that represent this marvelous property in order to share this comments.
My name is Ramon Diago, Hotel General Manager, I highly appreciate if you give me the opportunity to speak with you personally in regards to all your opportunities, please email me your contact info at your earliest convenience to ramon.diago@r-hr.com
Sincerely, Ramon
Indianapolis, Indiana
Reviewed January 6, 2013

My husband and I stayed in this hotel for two nights (Dec. 24 and 25) as part of Caravan tour. This is our first time in Costa Rica, and staying in this hotel was a great welcoming experience. Caravan picked us up from the airport; took about 20-25 minutes to reach hotel. Check-in was smooth; staff was friendly and helpful. Clean lobby, grounds and room. We requested for a higher level to get a good view and we got it. Our room was facing the Shopping Center with mountains as backdrop. Can see the windfarm from the room. Downtown can be seen from the end of the hallway window. Quiet room, comfortable bed and pillows, spacious bathroom, with safe, internet, wake up call. The hotel even delivered to our room a cake as a Christmas Eve gift - how thoughtful and welcoming! Green parakeets around the swimming pool area; relaxing area by the pool. We had great buffet breakfast (omelet, eggs, fruits, yogurt, bread, pastries, cereals, meat, veggies, coffee, tea, variety of juices) and dinner (plenty of vegetable salads, entrees, desserts, fresh juices). Located across the Mall which has American -style shops and food. Also saw a place selling native Costa Rican food. Very pleasant stay to start a 10-day tour of Costa Rica with Caravan. Glad Caravan chose this hotel.

Room Tip: Higher level has great view and is quiet.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank pumpsnow1523
Ramon_Diago, Director General at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this review, January 14, 2013
Thank you very much for sharing your fantastic comments about your stay with us. It is great to know you choose our hotel to celebrate Christmas.
Makes us very happy you enjoyed your stay, particularly the friendliness of our staff, our rooms, grounds, the location close to the mall and the buffet breakfast.
Thanks again for your review; we hope to welcome you back whenever your travel plans bring you back to Costa Rica.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Escazu
Sheraton San Jose Hotel
Residence Inn San Jose Escazu
Wyndham Garden San Jose Escazu
Courtyard San Jose Escazu
Hotel Grano de Oro San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jose
Costa Rica Marriott Hotel San Jo...
#1 of 10 in San Antonio De Belen

Been to Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall? Share your experiences!