“Towers are Great”

Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall
Ranked #6 of 14 Hotels in Escazu
GreenLeadersBronze level
Reviewed December 28, 2012

The 8 th floor has a view of the whole city at night was in room 874 next to the presidential suit everything is just roomy, beds are the best I have had in all the stays in Costa Rica, service and the club room is very good, separate everything as a member. the reason I can only give a 4 star is the Maintenance for the pest control, how ever by now they would have this under control is my feeling, there was never a paper on the floor or a flower out of place in the tower, I did get 2 of the critters and a spider handed one over to hotel management, the apology was excepted after all it is a tropical climate and Personally I've seen worst. The Hotel is Manhattan Priced or from the west coast Hollywood's drive prices, but there are perhaps say 20 restaurants about a 3 dollar taxi fare. if your a member the hotel has it's own taxies no charge. there is a mall out front the priciest I have seen, x box 360 - 700 dollars states say 250 dollars, this is a business hotel not for the budget minded. Members pay nothing, safe to walk around at night but then again u are not going far the highways surround the Hotel.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Ramon_Diago, Director General at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded January 3, 2013

Thank you very much for your comments about our hotel. I am very pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the room with our wonderful beds and the great view to the city. We feel privileged to have an exclusive Club Tower offering special amenity, I am glad you could also enjoy it.

Regarding our pest control, we do maintain a very strict schedule covering the entire property, however, as you mention, being in Costa Rica, it is typical some time as part of the surroundings.
Thank you very much again for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Ramon

Reviewed December 1, 2012

I have stayed in the Intercontinental in San Jose several times before. This was my first time staying in the Towers, The rooms are large w/ contemporary decor. I had club floor access. The club room has breakfast, tea 3-5 and happy hour 6-8. They had bar food with few healthy choices. Since my last visit they have opened a 24 hour restaurant called the Market. The Market has salads, design your own sandwiches and pizzas and variety of entrees. The lobby bar was very popular when I was there due to a coffee convention in the hotel. There are several other restaurants in the hotel. The spa is fairly new and attractive. I had a massage. There is a relaxation room facing a courtyard with a fountain. The spa also has a sauna, steam room and outdoor plunge pool, which gym guests can use has well. The gym is in a large airy room with an ample number of machines. The is also an outdoor pool. Wifi in the rooms is an additional charge, but some room rates will include it. The hotel is a bit far from downtown so leave 30-45 to go to or from if traveling during rush hour. I like that it is across the street from the Mall.

1  Thank ritzbiztraveler
Ramon_Diago, Director General at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded January 2, 2013

Thank you very much for taking your time to let us know your comments about our hotel.
We feel very proud that you enjoyed your first stay with us at our Club Tower, particularly our rooms and amenities at the Club Lounge.
Also, great to know you visited our new restaurant The Market and could enjoy the great menu selection and have the time to enjoy a massage at our Spa, I am thrilled you this beautiful area and the rest of its facilities.
Thank again for your comments, we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back whenever your travel plans bring you to Costa Rica again.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

As a priorityclub ambassador guest I am delighted to share my views on this magnificent and gorgeous property in Costa Rica. The whole experience staying at this hotel was excellent. From the reception staff to the caring and prompt instant service, we experienced a wonderful and always corteous and friendly attention. Room was nice with everything expected in such hotel brand, the breakfast buffet at The Market was just great (open 24 hrs.) and the Club lounge staff and service was always nice. Location is, also, very convenient and ideal, just across the street there is a huge shopping mall. Highly recommended.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank emroao

Thank you very much for your great review about our hotel. We are thrilled to you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly the friendly service of our reception and lounge staff. Also very happy to know you liked our rooms, the breakfast buffet at our new restaurant The Market and our location just across the street from Multiplaza shopping mall. Thank again for your recommendation.
We hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back whenever your travel plans bring you to Costa Rica again.

Reviewed November 23, 2012

Great hotel ! Service was perfect, bags arrived at our room before we did ! Clean, comfortable, well-equipped place to stay - pool and gym were well-maintained and staff was super-helpful and friendly.
Don't bother to look anywhere else in downtown San Jose - you will be very happy here...

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank JAYBIRD1943
Ramon_Diago, Director General at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Thank you very much for your wonderful review about our hotel. e are thrilled to learn you enjoyed your stay with us, particularly our quality of service, the friendliness of our staff, our rooms, gym and pool.
We hope to have the opportunity to serve you again in your next visit to Costa Rica.
Thank you!!

Reviewed November 9, 2012

The hotel is excellent and the staff are friendly and efficient. The facilities are great and the rooms are large, modern and well maintained. The gym and pool are clean and in good condition and the restaurants are varied and tasty. Highly recommended.

1  Thank Andrew M
Ramon_Diago, Director General at Real InterContinental Costa Rica at Multiplaza Mall, responded to this reviewResponded November 12, 2012

Thank you very much for your nice review about our hotel. We appreciate your comments about the friendliness of our staff, the maintenance and cleanliness of our rooms, pool and gum and our array of restaurants. Thank you again for recommending us. We do hope we can have the chance to welcome you back in your next trip to Costa Rica.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I really enjoyed staying at this hotel. The staff is so friendly! Check in was easy. I ate at the breakfast buffet and there was a great selection and food was amazing. I also ate at the steak and seafood restaurant and it was pretty good. The lobby bar had amazing food! The restaurant that has breakfast is open 24hrs. I think that is really amazing! I've never been to a hotel that has a 24hr restaurant. But it came in handy! The pool is nice and clean. the rooms are great and comfy. The bed is amazing.... I could sleep forever in that bed. I must say, the entire staff hotel that I came in contact with was so nice. It really made me feel comfortable staying here. And anytime I needed something, they were there to help in a second. My room key didn't work on my door and one of the workers in the hallway happened to pass by and noticed that I was having trouble getting into my room. He called someone to help me and in a few minutes, someone came to replace the batteries in the door. This hotel has great service and I'd love to stay here again!

1  Thank Aloha1977

Thank you very much for your nice comment about our hotel. We are thrilled to read that you enjoyed your stay, particularly our beds, the variety or selections at breakfast, your diner at Factor, our steak and lobster restaurant and our new 24 hour restaurant The Market.
It makes us also very happy to real your comments about the friendliness of our staff, we do appreciated it, rest assure I will share your review with them.
We hope we can welcome you back in your next trip to Costa Rica. Thank you again.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

When you rate a hotel, you should probably take into account the specific area that it is in in order to be fair. You could notch up an extra point if there were no better option around. That being said, there are plenty of very good hotels in western San Jose or even in the relatively small (but busy) town of Escazu, and the Real Intercontinental would rank very high even if compared to hotels products in the largest cities of Latin America.

This is a close-to-perfect hospitality option, on any scale.

I have stayed at this hotel many times in the last decade. While the main hotel is about 15 years old, it has received all sorts of updates and remodelings, including a revamp of its almost 300 original rooms, the lobby, and the pool area. It will soon have the largest conference center in the country annexed to it. The City Tower is a relatively new construction, with about 100 rooms that are beautifully appointed and exceptionally comfortable. All rooms have relatively high ceilings…especially those on the top floors. Here, there are a coupe of larger suites and a top-of-the-line Presidential Suite, truly fit for rock stars and spendthrift CEOs…I actually got a tour of it about 2 years ago. The important thing is that the rooms are well built, the sound proofing is better than average, and quality of sleep is very good.

The Spa, at City Tower's ground-level, is easily the most complete and beautiful urban spa in Central America. I would expand that scale, as, to me, it offers a better and more complete experience than, for example, Patagonia's five-star Llao Llao, or even Grupo Real's own J.W.Marriott in CR's northern Pacific area. But I guess that this is not a claim that one particular traveler could or should make. The gym is one of the best gyms I've ever used. It will only be inferior to those of hotels that partner up with urban gym concepts, like the Wash D.C. Ritz and L.A. Fitness combo, for example.

There are 3 relatively new, side-by-side restaurants to the left of the main lobby. These are:

Factory, a steakhouse, managed by a true Argentinian "parrillero" named Sergio. It is very, very good, competing well with the top steak houses in SJ.

Alfredo, an Italian restaurant led by a chef from northern Italy, with good and varied, authentic fare.

Nau, a sushi bar, that has consistently improved since it opened about 4 years ago and is now usually crowded in the evenings…even on a wednesday night…

The main restaurant had been closed for what seemed like almost a year and they recently launched the brand-new "The Market" which gives clients the option to build their own salads, hamburgers, pizzas, etc. There are other options and a full a-la-carte menu. generally, I am not fond of this type of restaurant, but again, they have done a good job with the concept and they will work out the few, minor glitches that it may have, as service seems more compromised here than at the other, smaller restaurants. The pizzas are good, although perhaps not as good as those you may eat at Pane e Vino, a local upscale chain, or at Bacchus, a high-end Italian place in neighboring Santa Ana.

There is no open access WiFi internet in the lobby. You have to get passcodes and these tend expire quickly. I am thinking that, perhaps because of the scale of the hotel, they have had bandwidth issues due to visitors or guests that hog it up. I am not sure what the reason is, but this is certainly not expected from this hotel, especially when the local Bagelmen's and Starbucks have open WiFi and lighting-fast connections.

The hotel has ideal conference, private party, and business areas. Lobby bathrooms are nice. Front desk and concierges are courteous and effective. During one of my stays, i had issues with my AC. The problem was well-addressed. A technician showed up (note: it was after 10pm) and, once he saw that it was not a problem to be quickly resolved, I was moved to a new room, of comparative level.

Location-wise, the Real Intercontinental is ideal. It is right in the middle of Escazu's commercial area, full of office and retail space, including Plaza Roble and Multiplaza. Forum, is about 2 miles to the west, off the same highway. The center of San Jose is a few miles to the east. The airport (SJO) is about 30 minutes away, to the north west. FOR TRAVELERS CATCHING EARLY FLIGHTS, I recommend staying at the San Jose Marriott, which is a nice, comparable alternative. There are hotels that are adjacent to the airport, but they are not at the same level, in any way. I make this recommendation because from the Intercontinental there are two logical ways to get to SJO International. One involves going towards Sabana, near the town center, and taking the Panamerican Highway. The other forces you to take the "Radial de Belen", right through Lindora. Both of these routes can get very saturated during traffic hours, especially on a friday. The 30 minute drive could easily double and, if luck is not on your side, occasionally…it can be worse. If you are going to head to SJO before 630am, between 9am and 3pm or after 7pm, you shouldn't have any issues, in any case.

Readers usually want to hear about the downsides. I can say that on a couple of occasions, while there was a large wedding going on or when they have their annual "wine festival", parking is not so easy to come by. But this does not happen every evening and, they just started offering valet parking for $6. I'd be hard pressed to find more negative comments to include here. PRICES, ALL AROUND, ARE VERY FAIR.

I believe that if you read a bad review here, that particular traveler was subject to a rare situation or simply "woke up on the wrong side of the bed". Please note, I do not work for this company nor do I have any moral debt with them. I am merely a satisfied, repeat client. Have a good trip!

Room Tip: Although there are projects in construction in the vicinity, I do not believe that these affect gues...