“First and last stay at the Holiday Inn Escazu”

Holiday Inn San Jose-Escazu
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Escazu
tamarindo
“First and last stay at the Holiday Inn Escazu”
Reviewed November 5, 2012

I travel to San Jose every couple of weeks so I thought I would try this new hotel in the upscale Escazu area. I found the staff friendly, but that is the only nice thing I can say about my stay. The overall appearance of the place is rater motel-like; the room furniture and air-conditioning are uncomfortable; hotel amenities were substandard or non-functioning; but the thing that ensured I would never return was waking covered in bed bug bites. For the same price or less, there are other wonderful hotels in the Escazu area.

Room Tip: Don't stay here!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank crcarol
LudwingDiaz, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn San Jose-Escazu, responded to this review, November 10, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn San Jose Escazú. We regret you do not like our rooms decor as per your comments. Regarding the bugs, we have not had any reports in the past at all and coming from Tamarindo as your profile says, it could have been gotten somewhere else.

Ludwing Diaz

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (39)
Toronto, Ontario
Reviewed October 28, 2012

My wife and I stayed at this hotel in November 2011.

The hotel was brand new.

We had the suite on the top floor of the hotel.

That suite was very impressive.

The bathroom was the size of many hotel rooms.

The suite was is on the corner of the hotel and has large panoramic windows.

The windows do not open.

The staff at the hotel were very friendly and helpful.

I liked the location of the hotel close to the giant mall called the Multiplaza.

There is nothing much to complain about this hotel.

I only wish that they had 24 hour room service, (which they don't have).

Can't have everything, I guess.

Still, I don't know what standard rooms look like but boy was our suite impressive!

The hotel is super clean.

Our suite was soundproofed.

We had a gorgeous panoramic view of the San Jose area and the mountains.

Keep up the good work!

Room Tip: If you can afford it, ask for the king bed suite. Be aware that room windows do not open in this ho...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest:

Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn San Jose Escazú. We are very happy to know that you enjoyed the stay with us in one of our suites. We hope to welcome you soon.

Best Regards,

Washington DC, District of Columbia
Reviewed September 26, 2012

New, clean, spacious rooms. Small bar but good service. Nice, small rooftop pool can come handy in sunny mornings. Lots of restaurants and stores nearby but at an awkward distance where you're better off with a car (or a taxi, but local taxis will charge you a much higher rate for picking you up at a hotel...code for ripping tourists off, if you ask me). One thing I did NOT like was that windows don't really block noise, so light sleepers may want to ask for rooms not looking directly into the highway (we changed rooms).

Room Tip: Windows don't block noise in rooms overlooking the highway.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
LudwingDiaz, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn San Jose-Escazu, responded to this review, October 28, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you very much for you comments. It would be a pleasure to hit you again in the near future.

best Regards,

Sarasota, Florida
Reviewed September 2, 2012

We come to Escazu quite often as we live in a more remote part of Costa Rica and need to come into "the big city" to shop and go to the movies. We have stayed at about all the hotels here over the years and thought we would try this new Holiday Inn sice it does have a very good location. The place is not bad but the service is poor, for example our confirmation said breakfast was included which they did include the first morning but tried not to the second. After an argument they did include it but it was a hassle and since I had the paperwork just stupid on there behalf. The parking is also a hassle as they make you park below at the far back and then you walk further to go up the stairs only to walk all the way back again and don't try to walk out the way you drove in or the parking guard will yell at you. There many better hotels around like the Residence Inn Marriot for about the same price and it has much better service and a better location.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn San Jose-Escazu, responded to this review, September 18, 2012
Dear Saults,

Thank you for taking the time to write our hotel a review. I am pleased that you liked our location. Please accept my sincerest apology for any inconvenience you experienced with the staff service. I have taken note and wish to thank you for all your valuable comments. These are of great importance to us and allow us to monitor and improve our service continually.

We appreciate the candid feedback and while understand that your stay was not 100% satisfactory, we would hope that you would give us another chance to host you again in the future should your travels bring you back to Escazu.

Pam G.
Case Manager
IHGCare
Ojochal, Costa Rica
Reviewed July 28, 2012

I chose this hotel because I was able to get a good rate and it is super convenient. We had lots of errands in the Escazu area, so it was great. The hotel is very sleek and modern. I thought it had just been completed, but they said it had been a year. I thought that for a couple of reasons. It was not worn, but also didn't look finished! The rooms are the nice hotel standard rooms. Great bed, but inexplicably small pillows. Great bathroom, but no robes. Although we had to talk the bar staff through making a martini, they were very nice. The food was pretty disappointing. And we said no to the $22 small breakfast buffet the next morning. Why do hotels do that? I would stay here again if the rate was really great. If not, I would pass.

Room Tip: I would ask for high on the East side. High, because they are still doing construction across the w...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest:

Thank you for staying at Holiday Inn Escazú and we are happy to have met your expectations.

Reviewed July 27, 2012

First I went to Hotel Real Intercontinental but due to bad service and bad arrogant treatment, I checked out in 2 hours from there and came to Holiday Inn, great hotel, great staff, reception is excellent, fast and prompt. Smiling. New hotel, clean room, great gym, swimming pool. Breakfast to the expectation. Taxi always available, Starbuck at nearby mall. All food joints near by and overall great comfortable hotel with excellent caring staff. This will be my place till I open my business.

Room Tip: High rise is good, plus 5th floor had gym.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your comments. We are pleased t know that you have selected our hotel to saty while opening your business.

Tegucigalpa, Honduras
Reviewed July 27, 2012

I booked this hotel just to give it a try since it is very new and has the updated image of this brand. The location is very good, the design is nice, the rooms are good, but maybe just because it´s new lacks service, attention and detail. Another issue was the noise from outside, which was quite a lot since it is located in front of a very busy highway. At this time the office complex next door is under construction, so this was a huge upset, but it´s just a matter of time for it to finish. I don´t think I´ll stay here again, knowing there are better options close by.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
LudwingDiaz, Director of Sales at Holiday Inn San Jose-Escazu, responded to this review, December 15, 2012
Dear Guest:

Thank you for your comments. We regret to know that you had inconveniences with the noise coming from the Plaza Tempo complex under construction upon your visit. The PLaza has been now finalized and now we offer our guests 35 options of additional servicies including restaurants, spa, gym and convenience stores.

Thank you for staying with us and sharing your feelings.