“Very good, almost Paris!”

Restaurante L'ile de France
Ranked #14 of 168 Restaurants in Escazu
Cuisines: French
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Punta Arenas, Costa Rica
“Very good, almost Paris!”
Reviewed October 27, 2012

I love love love French Food and have enjoyed it all of my life: in great restaurants both well known and well kept secrets in NYC, in different regions of France on several visits, and growing up in a family of amazing gourmet cooks & professional chefs. I also live in Costa Rica and had heard of this restaurant long before it moved to this very hip location and had been aching to go. New restaurants are opening up everywhere and the level of service and quality of the dining experience has been elevated so much in the past few years that we expected excellent service and an amazing setting, we were not disappointed at all. Walking in we were greeted warmly, the ambiance was excellent and the feel quite Parisian with a modern touch. Excellent menu, excellent wine selection. The reviews made my mouth water and I had been looking forward all day in anticipation of seeing a few of my favorite dishes on the menu and they were all there...moules frites, pate, tar tare, coq qu vin, saint jacques escalopin, pommes frites...just to name a few. The menu was simple but not the typical french style of a prix frixe which was a surprise. My husband and I shared the special app of the night, creamy Pate and Mushrooms from Normandy in a pastry and cream sauce. Both were very good. I think I would have preferred the typical country style Pate though. We both ordered a beef dish and felt the meat was far too tough and lacking flavor, my Bernaise sauce was room temperature and overly thick. The pommes frites were a huge let down and as one of the highlights of any Bistro visit, and a staple...I was surprised that they were so "non-Francais". Clearly frozen with a few special touches to make them a bit special, as the owner of a private retreat with restaurant where fries are homemade, the difference is obvious. But the biggest let down by far was the cheese plate for desert. Gouda, a Blue, Italian, a Camembert and a goat. This was one of the few things I was truly truly looking forward to and I could not believe the poor selection, knowing that there is a better selection available within the country. And with so much effort made, and a truly great restaurant as the end result, it is one of the details that could really elevate the dining experience here to amazing. Overall a very good meal, excellent experience... almost Paris!

• Visited October 2012

Springfield, MO
“good French comfort food, excellent service”
Reviewed October 26, 2012

Service, presentation and food quality are very high, which might surprise travelers who visit the lively and clean but somewhat soulless Avenia Escazú shopping area in Escazú. What I like best is that the menu doesn't try too hard... at its heart this is relatively uncomplicated brasserie-style comfort food done at a high level, not nouveau cuisine. Many options but I tend to come for steak-frites and a beer and leave quite happy.

• Visited March 2012
San Jose, Costa Rica
“good french.”
Reviewed October 16, 2012

food great, but very expesive.Wine selection is outsatanding and service is very nice and profesional.Good place for couples celebrating.

Visited September 2012
Miami, Florida
“Nice Bar”
Reviewed September 30, 2012

Not considered a bar, but we walked in and sat at their bar which is very beautiful and inviting, back lit marble tops. Enjoyed the conversation with the 2 bar people serving us. We just had drinks and a few small dishes at the bar. Very good, just next door to the Residence Inn Marriott, everything is new here at Escazu, San Jose.

• Visited September 2012
Heredia, Costa Rica
“Paris in San Jose.”
Reviewed September 28, 2012

If you close your eyes while dining, you'd think you're Paris. Outstanding food!!!
My girlfriend and I were hooked from our very first visit and have become regulars. The service is always courteous and efficient.

• Visited February 2012