“ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!”

Restaurant The Muse
Ranked #102 of 166 Restaurants in Escazu
Good for: Large groups, Business meetings, Special occasions, Bar scene, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
costa rica
“ABSOLUTELY FANTASTIC!!!”
Reviewed November 16, 2009

My wife and I recently had the pleasure of staying at the Hotel Escazu in a western suburb of San Jose. The hotel is wonderful, clean, modern, quiet and offers great service, but , the restaurant THE MUSE is absolutely fantastic.
We were to meet for dinner with friends who live in Escazu and asked where they wanted to dine and the immediately said"THE MUSE why would you go anywhere else". We are glad they did. The food is delicious, the presentations a work of art and the service impeccable. A difficult task in Costa Rica.
The chef's Amuse Buche was perfect and a great palate warmer,the starters, Entrees and deserts were very well done. All to a bit of perfection. My rack of Lamb was perfect, the pate canard sublime and the desserts to die for.. The price is pretty good compared to the North America and Europe. We recommended the hotel to 2 other friends, they stayed 2 nights and ate at THE MUSE both nights. They also thought it was one of the best in and around San Jose. What a gem in the middle of a town that is loaded with restaurants.
We will be back since there is so much more on the diverse menu to try.

1 Thank JunglelifeCostaRica

London, Canada
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1,483 helpful votes
“The Best Meal We've Had Anywhere Recently!”
Reviewed August 9, 2009

We stayed two nights at the Beacon Escazu upon our arrival in Costa Rica. The hotel is absolutely lovely- a veritable oasis in the midst of a bustling suburb of San Jose (see separate review).

On our second night we had dinner at the hotel's restaurant, The Muse, because we didn't feel like fighting traffic to get to an offsite restaurant. We're so glad we made that decision, because it was easily the best meal we've had anywhere in recent memory.

It was a Thursday night, but for some reason we were the only patrons in the restaurant between 7-9. At first we worried that was a sign of the place's reputation, but immediately it became obvious that was not the case (it's just very new and word of mouth has probably not yet spread). The service is extremely polished, professional and warm. The menu is varied and interesting-- we had a hard time making our selections.

The chef came out to greet us himself and make some recommendations. He sent out an amuse bouche (tiny cups of delcious beet soup), and then we had an heirloom tomato tart and mushrooms in puff pastry as our appetizers- both delicious.

Our entrees were presented so artistically I wanted to run back to our room to get the camera so I could take a picture, but I didn't want the meal to get cold! My partner had melt-in-your-mouth ahi tuna loin and I had *the* best sea bass I've ever had. It was accompanied with a very flavourful 'tower' of sauteed scallopped carrots.

Desserts were to die for: a raspberry sabayon and a trio of caramel flans. Both were presented beautifully with caramelized sugar accents and fruit.

I don't usually write restaurant reviews on TripAdvisor, but this meal was just so fantastic, and such a terrific value (about $120 for two of us- including tip- for 3 courses and 3 cocktails apiece) that I wanted to get the word out. It's definitely worth a visit even if you aren't staying at the hotel.

6 Thank Kodachrome_Dreams