“How to get leg of lamb in Costa Rica”

Sofia Restaurante Mediterraneo Arte & Cultura
Cuisines: Mediterranean
Good for: Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Lunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Late Night, Reservations
Description: The Mediterranean is our reason of being, with a wider concept that doesn't only include the food but also the health, the arts, the conversations and the friendships that are born in our table. Our influences come from the culinary and culturally richness of 22 Mediterranean countries.
Reviewed June 3, 2013

Lmb is not a popular meat in this part of the world. Being a craver of this dish i was pleased to discover the Sofia near my hotel in San Jose. Just a buck away fro Barrio Aranjuez by taxi and you will find excellent roast leg of lamb with a good sauce of reduced red wine. With a full menu of other middle eastern foods you can have a nice quiet meal in an off the beaten path neighborhood of San Jose.

Reviewed March 14, 2013

My husband and I met Mehmet while visiting the Osa Region. He mentioned his restaurant and invited us to stop by, when in San Jose. On our last night, we decided it would be fun to try. Wow, what an amazing surprise. The food was incredible and the atmosphere was a ton of fun!. We are traveling back to CR in July and Sofia Mediterraneo will be a sure-stop! Thanks, Mehmet!

Reviewed March 13, 2013

I was in this restaurant on February 23rd at the "Lebanese Night" and was simply overwhelmed by the quality of the food and the incredibly informative event. Coming from the Eastern Mediterranean myself, I must say that the "mezes" such as the humus and kibbeh, and the main courses such as the lamb with pomegranate and wine sauce were authentic and second to none.
The presentation by one of the members of the Lebanese community in Costa Rica has been excellent and was received with great enthusiasm by all the guests in the restaurant. Definitely a fantastic restaurant to visit by any gastronomic standards of the world.

Reviewed March 10, 2013

Reviewed March 8, 2013

I've lived in San Jose for five years, and Sofia Mediterraneo is my favorite Middle Eastern restaurant in the city. The owners are from Turkey, and they have a passion for great food. I discovered the restaurant while taking classes at the Spanish school across the street. Although there are many good restaurants nearby, Sofia Mediterraneo quickly became my favorite, and I found myself eating lunch there everyday. Their lunch specials, which change daily, are a delicious and inexpensive. If you're willing to spend a little more try their fantastic sampler plate (hummus, baba ghanoush, yogurt, olives, etc). Dinner is more expensive, but more sophisticated and worth the price. Most of the customers are locals, not tourists, and they come back again and again, which tells you all you need to know. If you're looking for exotic, flavorful food in a relaxed atmosphere Sofia Mediterraneo can't be beat.