“Great place, better than expected”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Pueblo Real

Pueblo Real
Ranked #7 of 26 Specialty Lodging in Quepos
Farmington Hills, Michigan
“Great place, better than expected”
Reviewed February 7, 2011

My wife and I just spent a week at Pueblo Real, a five star resort its not but don't go there expecting that. Its a simple resort but the staff (Michael,Henry, Elisabeth) were more than helpful Always attentive respectful. There goal is to help you have a good time. The rooms were clean beds comfortable pillows fine, I would go back in a second. They have some typical rules for your protection and theirs. But not a big deal. Book your excursions with them they get the best deals and only use Quality guides. The zip lines and the White water rafting were the BEST Sunset cruise out of Quepos was terrific. We had NO problems with security at the resort or in Quepos just use common sense and no problems. We rented a car but if your staying in the Quepos area you can really use taxis their cheap and Quick. There roads leave a little to be desired and there is s small soda (restaurant ) within walking distance and its good food Remember its a third world country so just go with the flow and no worries.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Brians750

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
Corvallis, Montana
Reviewed August 24, 2010

I have read many of the reviews for this hotel and everyone has a right to their opinion, but I had a wonderful time. Yes I had done my homework and knew that it was out of town and a car was a must. But I would much rahter stay away from the city world and just visit it. I go on vacation to relax and enjoy.
My room had recently been completely remodeled and the condo property had also had many upgrades in the last year. I found everything clean and everyone very friendly. I am looking forward to my next Costa Rica vacation in February of 2011.

Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
4 Thank IloveCostaRica2009
El Paso, Texas
Reviewed July 10, 2010

This hotel was difficult to find. The toxic smell of cleaning solution permeated all of our clothing, even if it was in a ziplock bag within our suitcase. There is a swimming pool, but no other ammenities. It is far from everything. The pillows felt like a piece of cardboard within a pillowcase. The mattresses were hard, bumpy and smelly. It did have a nice, fully equiped kitchen.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank dfodor
Petaluma
Reviewed June 1, 2010

My husband and I read the reviews about Pueblo Real before leaving, so needless to say we were on guard for ants, flocks of mosquitoes and thieves. Gladly, I can report that none of these things happened while we there for our week stay.
It goes without saying that whenever we travel we are always careful and do not leave out things which can easily be swiped in any hotel, and found Pueblo Real to be a comfortable base of operations for our daily excursions.
I am usually one that doesn't like to rent a car and would rather walk and taxi places, it's more fun to immerse yourself in another culture.
Our ride in we took the public bus from San Jose, it only took about 3.5 hours with the stops (On Sundays the Express Bus runs at 12:00, not at 9:00 as we had planned). and we walked from the bus stop to the hotel, the walk was very nice, got to see the rice fields and other homes a long the way. We ate at Restaurant Cayaguas - which is the restaurant which also serves Pueblo Real. The Mahi Mahi I had there was excellent!

However, if you want to get about, rent a car! After 3 days, we broke down and did and it was the best decision we made.

The rooms have a basic on/off A/C system which did the job perfectly. The hot and cold water does fluctuate every now and again, but again, it does the job. We never experienced mosquitoes there, with exception at dusk while in the pool (for those who are from mosquito areas, this is unfortunately to be expected!) but had a few friendly bats help us out by swooping around to eat them!
This hotel is out in the boon-docks, which gives you the luxury of absolute silence when sleeping and the joy or hearing the wildlife when you're ready to get up. I actually am missing the call of the grackles there as I type this.
We never had an ant problem, however there were these very tiny, very fast little ant-like bugs that would show up any moment you left food out overnight. I hate ants completely, but these guys were different, the minute you put the food away, they were gone. This only happened to us once when I left out a banana which had a bruise on it....no harm done though, if you're vigilant, they won't be a problem.
I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a nice and quiet place. There's not a lot to do at the hotel, but it is so close to Quepos, Manuel Antonio, Rainmaker Refuge and other great places that it's easy to find stuff to do. If you're in a quandry, the front desk is very helpful with getting you all set.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank TwoRaven
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Reviewed April 27, 2010

I laugh at someone saying they were disappointed when they traded a NYC unit near Carnegie Hall for this and were disappointed. This isn't NYC-thank God! This is a developing country and Pueblo Real was the first of four places we stayed while travelling through Costa Rica with friends. Everyday we left money and jewelry laying around the room-never lost a dime. Staff bent over backwards to be helpful. There is no "charge" for electricity. Never saw a mosquito, in fact we were all commenting on how surprised we were by the lack of bugs, except if you're around the pool-or any water-in late afternoon in Costa Rica, there are some tiny, biting insects that cause some minor itching the next day. This is really the only time of the day we needed bug spray. Rooms are exceptionally clean. The air system IS NOT PERFECT! Get over it and get outside and wander the grounds, look at the amazing birds, dozens of iquanas sunning themselves around the property and meet the people at the pool. The road is bumpy and uncomfortable-Like 95% of the roads in Costa Rica. Rent a car if you're staying here and get a four-wheel drive for ANYWHERE in Costa Rica. There is a wonderful fresh fruit stand at the end of the road and blenders in the room. Buy the mangos and bananas and papayas and pineapples and make a drink and meet people. If you are looking for a Five-Star resort, pay $300+ night and go stay at the Springs by Arenal. If you are looking for a great base that's comfortable and you have a car, stay at Pueblo Real. You are less than ten minutes from Quepos and this is a typical third-world town. I don't think I'd want to be any closer. The little restaurant across the street has good, fresh food. These same people offer breakfast in a little open-air hut on the Pueblo Real grounds and the food is reasonable and good. There is a weekly schedule of group tours that leave from the resort and they will set it up for you. We did some checking and it WAS more reasonable to book these through the resort, plus you end up meeting people that are staying there and making new friends. The pool is warm and clean. There is NOT a hot tub but there is a shallow kiddie pool if needed for little ones. If you stay here and don't do the canopy tour with the group, you are missing the best part of the stay. And yes-it's a long bumpy ride to get there, but well worth it. We also did the white-water rafting and monkey tours-both excellent. Tour Manuel Antonio on your own and bring sunscreen and your bathing suit. It's a long walk and there are two beautiful beaches inside the park. On the beach at the end, the monkeys are running all over the place.

• Stayed January 2010, traveled as a couple
4 Thank jrathbun08
Indianapolis
Reviewed April 6, 2010

My girlfriend and I could not believe what we found happening by the 4th day of our vacation at Pueblo Real. Besides the horrible location and vicious mosquitoes in the area, we and other travelers were victims of staff theft. First of all, the safe did not lock by code but by a key the front desk gave us. We locked up our money in the safe only to find $100 missing. My girlfriend also came up short a handful of her prescription medication (controlled substance). While talking to an older couple we found that they lost hundreds of dollars from their safe. There is an opening to the attic just above the safes in the rooms. After talking to other travelers and hearing from their experiences, I believe that the staff sneaks in while you are at the pool and takes what they can. If you make your way back to the room the front desk calls up to the room and the thieves sneak out.
The worst part is that the front desk staff claims no responsibility for any loses because of a “disclaimer” posted by the safe stating they are not responsible.
If you don’t want to take your valuables with you, I would recommend giving the staff at the front desk your money, jewelry, narcotic prescriptions and asking for a written receipt. That way they ARE responsible for their actions.
I would never stay at this place again. There is nothing that this place has that any other resort near the beach or in town also has.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
7 Thank laurayamanda
prealcr, Manager at Pueblo Real, responded to this review, June 22, 2010
The resort Pueblo Real takes the security of our guests very seriously. The safety boxes are in the wall of the closets and there are NO false walls. The boxes are combination driven and there is a key for each box. The key is given to the guest for a $50 security deposit therefore there is NO access to the box at all other than by the guest during their stay. If the key is not turned in at check out the $50 covers a new key to be cut by the locksmith for the next guest. The same staff has been at the resort for many years and we take great pride in our dedication to customer service and repeat guests. This is a small 29 unit resort on an estuary with a very serene setting by the pool. Guests who are educated about the area before they come know that a car is essential to visit the Rainforests and beaches nearby.
Idaho
Reviewed March 16, 2010

There were mixed reviews from our group. Pueblo Real is a basic no frills time share very American (you do not fell like you are in a foreign country). The rooms are basic and clean. There is a minor ant problem not horrible but If you hate ants stay away. The worst thing about Pueblo Real is it's location. You are a long ways a way from town, activities and beaches. Best thing no need to learn spanish everyone speaks english. For kids there is a pool.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
2 Thank snowflake_jules
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quepos
La Posada Private Jungle Bungalows
La Posada Private Jungle Bungalo...
#17 of 48 in Manuel Antonio National Park
Hotel Mono Azul
#1 of 16 in Quepos
BEST WESTERN Kamuk Hotel & Casino
Shana By The Beach, Hotel Residence & Spa
Shana By The Beach, Hotel Reside...
#11 of 48 in Manuel Antonio National Park
Gaia Hotel & Reserve
Gaia Hotel & Reserve
#3 of 48 in Manuel Antonio National Park

Been to Pueblo Real? Share your experiences!