We chose this hotel for the last 2 nights of our stay in Manuel Antonio, as we were told it was the nicest gay accommodation in Manuel Antonio. That must mean that all the other places are pretty awful.
The positive points first, to be fair: the grounds are beautiful, perched on the mountainside, with LOTS of stairs. The infinity pool is the biggest feature, and the villa (apartment) is stunning if you can manage to afford to rent it instead of a standard room. Breakfasts are also very good, prepared by friendly Michael poolside.
Now all the bad stuff:
1) We were informed by other guests after we checked in that the place has quite a bed-bug problem. On prominent display were welts on customers legs. When I asked how they were sure it was bedbugs (versus sand fleas or something at the beach), they plainly stated that they saw them in the sheets. That alone was enough to make me want to leave the place, especially after being forced to pre-pay $150 a night to stay there. Instead we took our chances and sprayed down with DEET before bed. Apparently that did the trick, as we had no issues.
2) We had NO hot water as the heater was broken. We complained within an hour of checking in, and were not offered any alternate accomodation. They said it would be repaired in the morning. When we arrived back at our room after a day at the beach, we still had no hot water. The front desk told us it could not be fixed and only then offered us a different room.
3) The room had a beautiful view but was Spartan, at best. It seemed clean at first, but when we "unwrapped" our plastic glasses in the bathroom, we found a filmy, wet, disgusting gunk int the bottom of them. Thankfully we identified this before using them!
Lastly, the front desk staff are not apologetic for these issues, they simply offer you another room. Not adequate. You've prepaid, so you're stuck. If you choose this place for the view and the pool, know what you are getting and GOOD LUCK!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The eco-friendly resort is gay owned and gay operated. For gays, lesbians and their friends to enjoy. Villa Roca is ideally located between the village of Quepos and the National Park of Manuel Antonio. Offering 24-hour infinity-edge pool and Jacuzzi with breathtaking views to the rain forest and the Pacific Ocean. The National Park, beaches, restaurants, bars and shops are close to the resort. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Villa Roca Hotel Quepos
- Hotel Villa Roca Costa Rica/Quepos