All reviews the real costa rica the bus two nights londres elena cinnamon adventure jungle spanish beaches tours
Reviewed September 13, 2016

Not given receipts for rent or deposit. No copies made of our passports (required by law) which would have made life easier when our passports were stolen in the first robbery. Complained daily about her husband (who does not live there). Took us to a local restaurant the first night, cupped her breast and began yelling "suck this". Elena's unusual behavior caused us to stay away from her and in our room. Finally, said she was leaving, we were in charge (gave us 3x5 cards with local contact numbers), "don't tell anyone where I'm going", and left for the airport. First robbery occurred the next morning. She was found by phone in the USA and was not terribly helpful nor very sympathetic. Moved rooms but was robbed twice more. Local people came and moved us to a safe location. Electricity was turned off because Elena had not paid her bill. Intended to stay 6 weeks, but left after 3 weeks.

Date of stay: August 2016
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
askelena, Owner at Finca Amanecer, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2016

Bless your hearts, YES..they rented a room on a "monthly" basis. They failed to mention how helpful I was before they left the US. How many emails had I sent to them explaining the new law on bringing their cats to Costa Rica? If I had not been so helpful the cats would not have been allowed in under the OLD forms. Unfortunately, someone was casing the place and broke in when Scott and Darby went to the Farmers Market. I immediately had them more to a more secure (and higher rate) part of the property. (no extra charge) When they were without funds, I advanced them money so they could go to the Embassy and get new passports. I knew they could not receive funds a tWestern Union without their passports. In fact, I was the one who went on line to make the appointments for their new passports. When they decided to leave early, I refunded the remainder of their prepaid rent.

I am very sorry, and I do apologize to them. I did not realize that I am suffering from Secondary PTSD. PTSD affects the Reptilian Brain, and I was living in fear of my husband, and fear of returning to the USA and living in a small space with him. Fortunately we are both undergoing PTSD Intervention. I hope to return to Costa Rica soon, and until them I won't be taking any short term guests.

Reviewed January 25, 2016 via mobile

We are happy to share about our visit at Finca Amanecer. We were there in the capacity of house sitters for 1 month. It is a beautiful piece of land where Elena has done alot of work to build, shape and re-wild this little patch of jungle.

Elena is a very knowledgeable hostess. The property has spectacular bamboo groves and other various plants of interest. She has knows her land very well and has plenty of energy and advice to share with tourists wanting to explore the local area and more.

It was great to be so close to both the creek and the river where we swam frequently.

This is a nice spot just to see a local town and how life is there, without being built up for tourism. A taste of what life is really like for Ticos.

Her pets are also very sweet animals, and we saw so many birds and hummingbirds every day! It was also exciting to see an anteater in it's natural habitat.

If you don't like bugs, wildlife and tropical homesteading, you may be better off staying in Quepos. If you are up for natural adventure and appreciating a rural small village this could be your Costa Rican experience.

Date of stay: November 2015
Trip type: Traveled as a couple

Thank you. So glad you enjoyed your stay. I really appreciate you sharing.

Reviewed April 24, 2015

I had the opportunity to visit this amazing place just a couple of months ago. It was just great to see nature everywhere and even as a tico visitor and knowing that we are used to nature, Finca Amanecer is a beautiful and cheap place to go and stay with friends, family or just by yourself. Elena, the owner, really makes you feel that you are at home and makes you feel comfortable. It is far away from the city but that keeps the tourist away from the pollution the danger that comes along with cities!

• Trip type: Traveled with friends
askelena, Owner at Finca Amanecer, responded to this reviewResponded October 15, 2015

Bless your heart,

Thank you for your visit and kind review. My heart is happy when the Ticos (locals) have an opportunity to sleep to the sounds of nature.

Paz y luz,

Elena

Reviewed February 9, 2015

It's an interesting and unforgettable experience to visit this place. The place is surrounded by Nature with lots of birds including peace and quiet at night in a typical Tico town or cool off in Rio Naranjo, or relax and refresh in the on site creek. The owner is very knowledgeable about the surrounding area and is very helpful with lots of travel advice.

• Trip type: Traveled with family
askelena, Owner at Finca Amanecer, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2015

Thank you for your sweet review. I am glad you enjoy "the path less traveled", and took the time to read our profile so you'd know not to expect "Hollywood on the Beach". Londres is a typical Tico pueblo, and some people feel it is exactly what travel in Costa Rica used to be...... I am glad you enjoyed your stay. paz y luz, Elena

Reviewed December 22, 2014

Elena and her home are one of a kind. If you are stuck in your box...and like it there...stay there. If you are ready to expand, breathe, unlock the treasures within and experience your life on levels only imagined...come, stay. Play, heal..enjoy.
This is true Tico style...which, in my profound experience means heart, soul, sharing and caring...in order to make YOUR life better. Elena has it figured out...give until you can give no more...then give some more. After 25 yrs "going it alone"...she still has the joy, the positive attitude and mindfulness to offer you an opportunity to let go of whatever is holding you back in your life...and jump into a new one!
If you groove on Park Ave...this may not be for you...if you thrive on "off the beaten path"...don't hesitate. Whatever condition you arrive in (in your head or body)...you are pretty much guaranteed to leave in a far better place.
The possibilities are endless ~ the Finca is (as are ALL properties in Costa Rica) a constant work in progress. As she is solita...all 'sincere' volunteer work is openly appreciated; and, certainly, paying guests are loved as well. There is a Yoga and Massage Shala yearning for those special souls to come and add their special grace. Camping areas. Outdoor & indoor showers. Gorgeous gardens calling for pruning if you know how to operate a pair of shears. Very friendly and loving animals. A sensational Rio Durango is the perfect prescription for "letting it ALL go!". Quiet, safe and peaceful surroundings...day and night.
If you want to nurture mind, body, spirit and soul...on levels that are typically untouched in "pristine" 5 star hotels...Come. You will leave newly nourished by the love, mindfulness and selflessness that is Elena and Finca Amanecer.

• Trip type: Traveled solo

Bless your heart, and thank YOU so much for your heartfelt review. It's almost funny, some people LOVE the finca, and others ......well they seek a less organic experience and accuse me of having my friends write reviews. YOU my dear, answered the paradox. People arrive as guests and leave a friends!!! The finca is not a big box hotel, nor a "professional hostel". It is a 7 room Tico farmhouse, with 3 bathrooms 2 kitchens a yoga floor and lots of NATURE, where you can heal your heart and soul in the creek or just in the solitude. How many places can you sleep to the sounds of a class 3/4 river, and awaken to song birds? I am so very glad you came as "guest" and left as a "friend". Hugs to Tulip, too. paz y luz, Elena