“LOVED this place”

Ranked #23 of 29 Specialty Lodging in Quepos
Los Angeles, California
“LOVED this place”
Reviewed January 16, 2014

I stayed here ages ago (2005-ish?) but I absolutely adored this place. So happy to see that Elena is still hosting guests. I remember the rain putting a damper on things but Elena was such a great host. She prepared meals for us and took us to Londres for an amazing dinner of steamed Tilapia. If I remember correctly she has this awesome secluded outdoor shower, too. It's truly like communing with nature. This is definitely a bit inland - not on the beach by Quepos or anything like that - so you're in the rainforest environment. Regardless it's still quite relaxing a very peaceful.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
askelena, Owner at Finca Amanecer, responded to this review, October 21, 2015
Whow, bless your heart for remembering after all these years.

Oh you need to come visit again. I have been so busy, investing every dime into renovations. Since May 2015, we finally added a "fogon" and kitchen to the Jungalow (rancho) and are in the process of renovating 5 rooms!!!! Yep, a lot of work for a single woman. We have removed the old walls in La Casa Vieja and replace them with fresh sheet rock (gypsum)!!! What a difference. I may not be able to call the place "funky" much longer... LOL

If that wasn't enough, I have been thinning out FIVE gardens. It is amazing how many trees just appear. What a difference removing all of them close to the house makes. You can actually SEE the house from the prkring area now!!!

No lo creo. Another person who arrived as guest and left a friend.

Safe travels and I do hope your travel plans brings you back to the finca. You will not believe all the changes over the years.

Elena

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
Karlsruhe, Germany
Reviewed January 1, 2014

the Finca Amanecer is a perfect place to stay for people who want to enjoy the sound of costa ricas nature! in comfortable beds or camping the beautiful lady Elena offers all you need to have a great time in love an peace. in Londres a small town, just a little outside the main tourism area of quepos, you can find secret natural places for free, like waterfalls or mountain views.

I stayed over 10 days here and had one of the best time in my life in harmounie and respect, with nothing I missed or needed. (sure there is a supermarket and restaurants in Londres, if you feel hungry :-)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
Bless your heart,

I am so glad you enjoyed the serenity and peace of the finca. Yes, there is a small mini-super and "Soda" cafe, in our small Tico pueblo. Life is what you make it, and I am so glad my little piece of paradise fit your travel needs. Germans tend to enjoy the more organic experience. It;s like when I hiked the Grand Canyon, LOTS of Germans, enjoying nature.

Londres is a big surprise to most of the adventurous travelers who are willing to brave the 10K of dirt road. (, alas, as of 8/2015, the gov. is (promising) to have the paving completed by Christmas.)

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed December 10, 2013

Despite the rating of the writer below, who is certainly entitled to his opinion, I found this "finca" relaxing, full of exciting plant- and wildlife, beautiful as a tropical rainforest retreat, healthy in the diet offered and interesting in the variety and backgrounds of other visitors that were there when I was. It is rustic and not at all like an American hotel or motel, which is a REAL PLUS for me! I wanted the more rural Costa Rica and felt real lucky to find it. My host, Elena, besides being a truly fine chef of superb vegetarian meals, is knowledgeable in native plant life and wildlife, which made each walk in the rainforest an interesting lesson. My recommendation: give this place a try once and you come running back.

Room Tip: Just ask Elena.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled solo
askelena, Owner at Finca Amanecer, responded to this review, October 21, 2015
Thank you for taking the time to write.

True, the finca is not a "professional hostel". It is "off the beaten path" and not for everyone. I try to be very accurate in the profiles so the guests know what to expect. I have discovered those who READ the profile are generally happy. Those who book because I had the highest rating? Gosh they are surprised "I'm not on the beach".

Those who venture forth are generally happy to discover Londres (10 miles EAST of Quepos). It is a typical Tico pueblo and there are often some community events going on, especially for Christmas. Thank you for taking the time to share you positive experience.

Hope your travel plans bring you back. You'll be amazed at all the good changes.

New York
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Only if you were desperate or on a $5 a day budget. Although it has a Quepos Apdo which means PO Box, it is 15 km east down a very bumpy dusty gravel road in a spit of a town known as Londres that will take you 40 mins by bus, 20 by car. Miserable road. Unless you are a wilderness freak that could sleep outside if need be, forget this place because it isn't much better then that. Beautiful property, almost right on the rough running (in green season) Rio Naranjo, but c'mon--it's a 1 star hostel and I've seen many much better 1 star hostels. I was in and out of this place in 10 seconds. Only in Londres for an english teaching project at the local school for a week and I had a car so I wound up stayed in Quepos. 2 restaurants? Ha ha. Shops? Ha ha. 1 little pulperia (means a corner store--tico version of 7-11). How she manages to get people to get there and then stay there is amazing. Maybe they wre on the last bus for the day. No no a thousand times no unless you are into that type of commune housing on the low, and she ain't cheap for what she's offering. If you have google earth, zoom in on Londres to see where you'll be. I could write more about why Londres is a def no no for gringos but it wouldn't be fair to this place.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 Thank Dick d
Bless your heart,

Thank you so much for sharing the fact you were in the area to teach English. I am so sorry your heart was set on being on the beach in Manuel Antonio and you got "stuck in Londres". Your disappoint over everything is evident.

La Amnistad is a mini-super, and has thousands of of items, everything from nails to nuts. There are several freeze cases full of meats, and Runolfo even refrigerates most of his produce. You must have visited one of the tiny neighborhood pulperias. These are great too, as you used to be able to buy a "cup of sugar", one roll of toilet paper, or one cigarette. The community has one or 2 facebook pages, and I guess I need to post a few photos of La Amnistad.
In 2014, Victor went from "Soda" (a mom n pop cafe) to a bar restaurant. and La Casona, is generally open during high season. there is an elementary and middle school. Five or 6 different churches, and of course lots of NATURE.

As Mr. Head, stated, he didn't even stay at the finca nor in Londres. He clearly wanted party on the beach, and neither the finca nor Londres offers that. The true beauty is found by those who want to discover the authentic Costa Rica, and you'll find lots of positive reviews by travelers seeking a true Tico experience.

FYI, the government IS paving the road, and promises (again) to have it completed by Christmas 2015. Vamos a ver. all my profiles are clear the finca is 10 miles EAST of Quepos. with 7 buses a day to and from Quepos. The first bus leaves Londres at 05:40 and the last one leaves Quepos at 10:15 PM. So even if you are on a budget, you can enjoy the peace and serenity of sleeping in the rain forest rather than smelly, over crowed hostel in Quepos.

Charleston, South Carolina
Reviewed February 13, 2012

Are you looking for a relaxing, friendly and beautiful place to visit or even live? Well Don and I found a wonderful place in Londres, Costa Rica. The Finca Amanecer is a place for all of these things. The climate it very pleasant as it is in all of Costa Rica. However, as they are tucked away closer to the mountainsides it can be a bit cooler – no sweaters, jeans….tank tops, shorts, sundresses…is the way to go.

In addition to being a Bed and Breakfast with lovely bedrooms, two kitchens and a very pleasant common area both inside and out, you can opt to live here if you choose. You can own or not. You would have your own two bedroom bungalow that you would build with help from the “community”.

The Bed and Breakfast offers “pick your own breakfast” and beautiful flowers for your room. You can take a refreshing swim in the Rio Naranjo and there is also a very private stream nearby if you prefer. There are 3 or 4 restaurants in Londres and 2 Mini-supers, all within walking distance. Faxing is available as well. At Finca Amanecer you will have wi-fi and Skype would be your best mode of telephone chat!

During our visit we sat and had a glass of homemade cinnamon tea. They had banana bread just baked in a solar oven. They have the “traditional” stoves as well. I say go with the sunshine as it is out every day and can do all you need, baking, hot water, light! Obviously this is something you take under consideration when you purchase/build your bungalow. Elena, the owner, a wonderful hostess and person, was very informative on the area and Costa Rica as she has lived here for 20 years. She is all about feeling good and making sure you enjoy your stay with her and her other guests at the B&B.

If you want to get back to mother earth, get in touch with nature and have a unique experience, this is the place to go. There are plenty of birds, monkeys, flora and fauna for you!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Bless your heart,

Thank you so much for your delightful review.

It is clear you READ the profile, and like what you found.

My heart is so happy when people enjoy connecting with nature.

You are just another example of a couple who arrived as a guest and leaves as friends.

You will be so amazed at all the work I have done this off-season. Yes, most B&Bs are sole proprietors, and I have actually closed all the rooms and totally renovated 5 rooms in La Casa Vieja. If that wasn't enough I have also redesigned 5 of the gardens closest to the house. You can actually see the house from the parking area now.

YOU my dear make it worth being in the hospitality industry. Have you ever considered "retiring" and running a B&B?

lukovica
Reviewed February 5, 2011

Elena and her house are just a perfect mach for a tranquil stay in a Tico sourandings. Small hostel with a big forested souraunding (you can swim in a creek). Rooms are simple, the house dogs nice to the guests, and Elena also cook on a request. The village is small but with 2 restaurants, shops, nice walks...

• Stayed February 2011, traveled with friends
askelena, Owner at Finca Amanecer, responded to this review, October 21, 2015

My heart is so happy when there is the perfect product for our "off the beaten path" class of travelers.

I really do appreciate you taking the time to share you positive experience.I simply ask others to read the profile and understand "we are not a box on the beach". We offer a unique stay in an authentic farm house, which also has a yoga floor on the second story, and a wonderful open air patio where you can interact with other guests and local neighbors as well.

I hope your travel plans bring you back my way, as we have completed a 5 room renovation of La Casa Vieja.

Nashville, Tennessee
Reviewed August 15, 2010

First, the positives. The finca is in the tiny town(?) of Londres -- definitely off the beaten path and a nice change from more touristy areas. The owner, Elena, also tries hard to make your stay a group experience -- dinner together, trips to local restaurants/bars, and arranging tours.

We weren't very happy with our room, though. It was dirty, and the sheets on the bed smelled strongly of mold -- not surprising given the humidity in Costa Rica, but not pleasant to sleep on. The outer door opened onto the patio, which was fine, but the inner door wasn't attached -- just propped against the doorway. There was also a power saw and a few other tools lying in the corner of the room. I didn't get much of a look at the other rooms, which may well have been fine, but ours looked as if we hadn't really been expected. The bathrooms are shared, which I generally don't mind, but these were also very dirty -- something like what I'd expect to find at a campground in the middle of the busy season.

So, as much as I wanted to like this place, I wouldn't recommend it. It definitely has potential, but it still needs a lot of work to be comfortable.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Robert55229
Bless your heart,

Yes I do remember, and I am so sorry about the door. Yes we had very high occupancy during your stay, and I just did not have time to repair the door same day.

Please know I have just completed a 5 room renovation of La Casa Vieja. You will not recognize the place.

Thank you for your positive comments and gently sharing the "needs improvement".

Living in the rain forest mold and the smell of mold is a constant battle. You'll often see the clothes line full of sheet and pillows "airing out". The sun is the best way to dry and kill mold. I also offer talcum power to sprinkle between sheets, to keep the dry and sweet.. I guess I need to put a note on the container.

Thank you again, and I hope you'll check us out if you are ever in the area again.

Elena
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quepos
Hotel Mono Azul
#6 of 13 in Quepos
Cabinas Maria Teresa
Cabinas Maria Teresa
#25 of 29 in Quepos

Been to Finca Amanecer? Share your experiences!