WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of BEST WESTERN Kamuk Hotel & Casino

BEST WESTERN Kamuk Hotel & Casino
Ranked #4 of 16 Hotels in Quepos
Florida, null, United States
“Overnight - wish could stayed longer”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

Best price best value in our whole trip. small clean comfortable room funky place to park your car but even though we blocked by five cars it took only five minutes to remove their cars wish I could've stayed longer but the place is booked. I wanted to go fishing!

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank Bahamaer
HotelKamuk, Front Office Manager at BEST WESTERN Kamuk Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, May 11, 2014
Dear Guest,

Marco Ramírez
Front Desk Manager
BEST WESTERN Hotel & Casino Kamuk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (45)
Hannover
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2014 via mobile

The hotel contains everything you need but nothing more. Staff is very friendly and helpful. The AC wasn't working 100% and there was only a small TV with mediocre reception. Since the hotel is located right next to the busy street you should like the sound of big trucks using their compression brakes.

Staff we're incredibly friendly and helpful!

Breakfast consisted of a tiny portion of rice&beans with just one scrambled egg and a buffet of fruit and toast.

Quepos itself isn't really worth a longer stay, though.

Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
HotelKamuk, Gerente at BEST WESTERN Kamuk Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, April 23, 2014

Thank you for completing the survey regarding your recent stay at our property.

If I can be of assistance in the future, please don't hesitate to contact me at (506) 2777-0811.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 18, 2014

I wondered about Quepos town when I found out the Best Western was the most swank hotel in town. After driving around for 5 minutes in the small town, we decided to check out the BW. It's definitely nice compared to many of the other hotels that we peeked into. But at $100 or so per night it was not worth. The rooms were basic BW rooms, fairly clean, fairly sterile. We ended up not staying here -- just to be clear -- when I asked the front desk what's a good restaurant to eat in and they told me the BW restaurant. And they repeated that we should eat at the BW restaurant. When I named some specific restaurants recommended by guidebooks, the people at the front desk said they never heard of those restaurants! At that point, why spend $100+ to stay in a sterile room and be given bad advice? It was too much! Location was right across the street from the ocean but in a noisy-ish area with bars and late night eateries.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

BEST WESTERN Hotel & Casino Kamuk

Travelers are raving about these Quepos hotels

Seattle
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

The room was a little musty, but we hit it right at the Festivus Civicas (like a Mardi Gras) and the location was fabulous! Room was similar to any other BW hotel. Clean rooms, very comfortable beds. Pool area would have been much better, if there hadn't been unpleasant odors wafting through. Food in the restaurant is okay. Staff very helpful.

Room Tip: Choose the rooms on the north side of the complex or the ones in the main building. Our room was fac...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple

Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 24, 2014

I was there a night on Feb 17. It was the best hotel I found on line on a short notice and the last room. Hotel is good, clean, friendly staff, room was large, large and clean bath with good shower. The hotel is really nice, has a good felling of safety and comfort, nice interiors, elevator, interior garden.
The bad part, yes, there always is a bad part, the hotel is not in a good area. Although is a touristic area, the neighborhood get sketchy in the night time. My room was facing a side side street, one way that is, lots of traffic and lots of noise, it is just across from a bar that gets loud late night. the hotel is above of the casino and a questionable bar. Both packed with prostitutes, just like the street, below the hotel balcony. This is why traffic is little more intense on this street in the night time.
There are only three decent restaurants in the area, I didn't wonder to far off the hotel, not that is anything out there. One Mexican, one with live music and very loud one, one terrace with expensive prices and another corner restaurant, clean, small and quiet. Family run.

The hotel restaurant is nice, on the third floor terrace but towards the expensive part. Breakfast was not included, basic, good but expensive.

Wifi is not good throughout the hotel. I tried the second floor, the lobby, then the restaurant, they all have a wireless router on each floor. I called the reception and they told me the hotel is full and the lines are busy. Didn't quite understand that, all the services have to be estimated and fully functional at full capacity. This is the reason i got out for dinner, I needed internet to book the next hotel on the road for the next night.

If you are there for a just a night like myself it is ok, but i wouldn't stay there more than that.
nothing wrong with the hotel just the neighborhood. Felt like a room in the red district.
There are no fridges in the room, large room, enough space for it but no fridge. I found that not convenient at all.

Room Tip: Ask for a room above the entrance of the hotel not the Casino. Avoid the side street after dark.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled solo

Brit in UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2014

Positives.

Very friendly and efficient staff. Nice range of good food and drinks on offer in the restaurant with the best breakfasts (Nice yogurts and fruit) I had while in Costa Rica. Good views from the restaurant over the bay. Comfortable bed and clean room. Convenient location for the bus station for getting buses into Manuel Antonio, which has the nicer beaches. Good facilities with swimming pool and free internet access in the lounge.

Negatives

Dingy and noisy bedroom. Even though I had one of the inside facing rooms (recommended as 'quieter' by another traveller) traffic noise from the road outside was still very evident. The bathroom vent opened onto the inside corridor so make sure this is closed before going to bed to avoid attracting further noise from passing guests. The lighting in the room was poor.

Quepos is an ok location by day but not the nicest of places by night. Aside from eating in the hotel, which can be an expensive option, the best restaurants are at Manuel Antonio or on the road in between these two towns. This means another bus or taxi ride out of town.

The water system failed on the day I was checking out. This was reported by another reviewer staying on a different date so this obviously wasn't an isolated incident. Even if it is a problem throughout the town the hotel needs to have a contingency stand by for flushing the loos in the public areas. These rapidly became unhygenic to use. Buckets of water, if necessary filled from the swimming pool, would go some way toward solving the problem.

Would I stay here again if in this area? Probably not as I would prefer to stay at or closer to Manuel Antonio and visit Quepos through the day, rather than the other way around. Of course this may cost slightly more so it depends on your budget.

Room Tip: Ask for the quietest possible and take some ear plugs
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo

Roanoke, Virginia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 20, 2014

I was one of two couples that checked into the hotel on Feb11, for two nights. The rooms we were given were hotter than H--l and there was no water. We got moved to other rooms that had no water either. We were assured there would be water by six PM that night. It never came. We were told that there was no water in the entire city of Quepos by the lady at the front desk. But when I checked with the ice cream shop in the same building they reported that they had water and there had been no problems. I told this to the desk clerk who insisted that the whole city had no water. totally untrue! We went to bed hot, sweaty and smelly. They would knot even give me a bottle of water to brush my teeth with. I had to buy it. Furthermore they charged two dollars a night for a safe key.
After a loud sleepless night, I went to the front desk at five AM to see what the water situation was. A young man was there who told me if I wanted water all he had to do was turn on the water pump in the hotel. I told him of course I wanted water. He said I would have it when I got back to my room. Sure enough, the water was now running…..for about a half hour and then no water again. It was evident that the problem was in their internal water system. We left for the day to fish and when we returned, no water yet. We were told lit would be up and running soon and sure enough, it was. We got a shower in at six PM in time to go out for dinner.
We do a lot of world travel. We know that on occasion s--t happens. We are pretty good about rolling with the punches when unavoidable problems with accommodations occur. But, in this case we were lied to and did not get any sense of sympathy or help from the staff. The owner was standing in the desk area when I was discussing the situation and he chose to ignore our presence and did nothing to try to ameliorate things
If you are in Quepos, make other hotel arrangements outside of the rough and unsafe downtown area. It is loaded with drunks, desperate worn out prostitutes and is not a comfortable place to walk around in after dark. I have been to Quepos before and got good accommodations on the hill between Quepos and Manuel Antonio National Park.
Fishing was great by the way. We caught fourteen sailfish in one day. That helped smooth out the bad hotel experience.

d

Room Tip: If you do stay here go for the top floor rooms overlooking the ocean.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank cwhoughton
Tatiana A, Manager at BEST WESTERN Kamuk Hotel & Casino, responded to this review, February 22, 2014
Thank You very much for your comments¡¡¡

Best Regards,

Tatiana Astua
Operations Manager
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quepos
Hotel Mono Azul
Hotel Mono Azul
#1 of 16 in Quepos
La Sirena Hotel
La Sirena Hotel
#2 of 16 in Quepos
La Posada Private Jungle Bungalows
La Posada Private Jungle Bungalo...
#11 of 48 in Manuel Antonio National Park
4.0 of 5 bubbles 1,331 reviews
Condotel Las Cascadas
Condotel Las Cascadas
#19 of 48 in Manuel Antonio National Park

Been to BEST WESTERN Kamuk Hotel & Casino? Share your experiences!