“Amazing!”
Review of Planet Dolphin

Planet Dolphin
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Planet Dolphin is a family owned and operated company with over 24 years of experience in whale, dolphin and marine life observations . We offer a personalized quality service & are committed to give our customers the very best experience possible. One of our principal goals is to educate our clients on the conservation of our natural resources & protection of marine wild life. Offering to the world sustainable eco tourism services with our continual efforts to achieve a neutral carbon foot print for future generations.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Lockers / storage, Activities for older children, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed December 3, 2012

One of the best experiences I've had! The staff of the boat was attentive and helpful. They all have a unique charisma to treat guests and make them feel welcome. The day was wonderful, perfect sun, the sea also. The food was spectacular, and free drinks. What more could you want?. My only regret is not having gone in whale season, but luckily we managed to see the dolphins. It is a truly special experience that through photos or videos can not live the same way. The boat has a slide on the back, it seemed like a lot of fun but I did not dare ha ha. As for the snorkeling was amazing and relaxing. All I can say is that I'll be back next year! :-)

All reviews
in 4 reviews
"snorkeling gear"
"baby humpback"

Reviewed November 25, 2012 via mobile

The boat ride to see dolphins, snorkel, and eat delicious food was perfect! The staff were extremely knowledgeable and taught us about the animals we saw, while making everyone on the boat feel welcome. This group has been around for decades and respects the wildlife they are showing you, unlike competitors who are out to just make money and are not respectful.

Reviewed November 1, 2012

This tour was a little disappointing, we got to see some whales, but not real well, they were swimming, not jumping so you could get pictures. Saw no dolphins or sea turtles and when we got to our location to snorkel - what a joke!!! It was a cove with a rock sticking up from water and there were 4 other boats there at the same time so all these people were swimming around this rock and kicking and you couldn't see a thing. Saw some yellow fish but no coral. I was so disappointed in this excursion. Crew was great, lunch was great and free drinks (alcoholic too). But as far as seeing dolphins, whales, or the coral reef, this was not worth the $$. I don't suggest this trip in the off season. It might be better if going in high season. This catamaran had a slide on the rear that you slide into the ocean and you could also jump off of the top of the catamaran into the ocean. It was enjoyable seeing the rock formations along the coast, but like I said I was disappointed in trip.

Steve W, Owner at Planet Dolphin, responded to this reviewResponded November 7, 2012

Good morning.
We appreciate all the comments that we recieve, they help us better our service.
Since we pioneered the coastal sailing adventures so many other companies have come here copying our trips to the letter.
The snorkeling area, which was a great spot for swimming has become so crowded, I have to move to another area.
There is no coral reefs in the area but there is a wide variety of marine life.
Sept. to November we have great whale sightings, a few dolphins that are mateing and the clarity of snorkeling is poor because of the rivers run off.
If you ever have questions or need advice for any future trip to Costa Rica, please feel free to contact me directly.
Stephen Wofford

Reviewed October 12, 2012

This is typical of the better catamaran/snorkel/lunch/booze cruises that almost every beach area has. The boat could accomodate 100 people but only 10 were on this trip during the shoulder season. We saw whales, dolphins, and sea turtles, had a little snorkel by the rocks at Beisanz Beach, and ate some pretty darn good wahoo shishkabobs. We have been on about 4 or 5 of these trips in Mazatlan, Hawaii, Kuaui , and Roatan. The snokeling had a lot of seargent majors and triggerfish, but those were the only 2 types we saw. The food was the best of any of the cruises we have taken, and we didn't expect great snokeling on the pacific side, it is mostly sandy beaches with little structure.

See more reviews
Reviewed September 25, 2012

I was traveling with a group of 10-14 yr olds and their parents, with quite the range of expectations. The people at planet dolphin were great in advising us on cool things to see in the area in addition to their tour. They suggested lodging, tour groups for Manuel Antonio and sights to see. They were spot on with their recommendations.

Our group filled the catamaran we took so we could request what we wanted to see and they were happy to oblige. We got to do some great snorkeling and see fish I have never seen before, very colorful. The highlight however was seeing the whale family play right off the boat. I think they were humpback but could be mistaken. We stayed a safe distance away but still got great views and some awesome photographs.

I hope to return to Costa Rica sometime and wouldn't hesitate talking a cruise from them again.