“Mixed feelings”
Review of Wide Mouth Frog

Wide Mouth Frog
Ranked #6 of 32 Specialty Lodging in Quepos
Reviewed February 28, 2013 via mobile

It has got a lot of facilities like pool and kitchen and laundry service. The rooms are ok but you need to pay extra 10 us for a/c. The place appears clean but we had a total of 4 cockroaches in the room. At least those were the ones we saw and killed. They did not have another room so we needed to stay there. They did not give the impression they were about to tackle the problem. It might just be our room that has the problem, that I do not know. Just take it into consideration.

• Stayed: February 2013

Reviewed February 1, 2013

I spent one year in Costa Rica (Jul 2009 - Jul 2010) and went to Quepos/Manuel Antonio 5 or 6 times over the weekend and everytime I chose the Wide Mouth Frog. I didn't have the urge to look for another hostal, because I felt so comfortable there.
The staff remembered me after my first visit. Pretty amazing considering I only spent one night there.
Breakfast: delicious! Beds: comnfortable! Showers: working ;)
The thing I loved the most: the pool! Perfect to hang out with friends.
If I ever go back to Costa Rica I definitely visit this place again!

• Stayed: March 2012, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 21, 2013

Upon first glance, this hostel seems to be a great value, but I simply wasn't impressed after having stayed there.

Let's talk about the good things:

- Reasonable price. If you're not looking to spend much money and just want somewhere to sleep, then this is a good choice.
- Breakfast is included. This saves one meal out of the day, so that's good. The food includes toast, oatmeal, pineapple/watermelon, juice, and the famed pinto gallo. It's the same every day. It's something to fill your stomach with, but it's nothing special.
- Fans in the rooms. I didn't think this was a big deal, but I found that it got very hot and humid at night, and it was great to have such large ceiling fans in the room. (If you're sleeping on the top bunks, this might be scary for you.)
- A pool. The pool seems nice and it's certainly not crowded on most days, though I didn't get a chance to swim in it, since it rained/rains every day in Quepos.
- Wireless connections. There are two Wi-Fi networks and they were both consistent, in my experience.
- A book exchange. I love seeing bookshelves open to travelers and here, you can either trade in a book or purchase one. From what I saw, there were some quality books there.

The cons:
- Smoking everywhere. I am a person who is very sensitive about being around smoking, but there isn't a good separate area here. There are places for smokers to sit right outside the doors, in the hallways, and - worst of all - at the dining areas! During breakfast, smoking isn't allowed at these tables, but every other time of the day, it is permitted. As a non-smoker, this made it very difficult for me to find somewhere I was comfortable because smoking is allowed in pretty much every area around this hostel. This is a huge con for me.
- Critters running around. While I expect this may be common in the rest of Quepos, there were occasionally crabs and frogs in the rooms.
- The dogs. While they are big, adorable, and friendly, don't let the dogs brush against you, especially on a day when it has rained. If you do, you will find that you've picked up the worst odor in your life. I made this mistake once and kept this scent for two days even after having showered several times.

I didn't stay at any other hostels in Quepos, but I wouldn't specifically suggest this one.

Room Tip: If you sleep in a dorm room on a bunk bed, avoid sleeping under the ceiling fans. It's common s...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank Michael_Yo
Reviewed January 1, 2013 via mobile

Classic hostel with a friendly staff. Good breakfast, nice pool, and just a few blocks from the bus station. They have a security guard on duty all night at the gate which was nice too. And video surveillance on the dorm lockers.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed December 7, 2012

So, this place is pretty nice by most measures. The breakfasts are great, the staff is nice, and the place is pretty.

The things that bring this place down seem to be that management just doesn't really care about things. First and foremost here are the sheets, none of which have any elastic left in them, so you are essentially sleeping on an unfitted sheet.

I went to the front desk asking for a bed sheet with some elastic and was told "sorry, they all have that problem"

Also annoying is that if you request a private room, all they have are bunkbeads. The lower bunk is full sized which is OK with me, but it was really annoying to have a bed above me.

Seriously, the sheets are unnecessarily annoying and replacing them would be cheep. Same goes for the lack of full or queen sized beds without bunks above.

Do yourself a favor and book at Vista Serena hotel. It is the same price, except that Vista Serena is will exceed every expectation you could have.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Davidimo
Reviewed November 30, 2012 via mobile

The frog is a nice place very friendly staff the lady cooking was very help full. One thing they could change is when it's lights , maybe leave one on in the halls and bathrooms. It's very close to everything. The room comes with breakfast. But just fruit, and pinto. Eggs would have be nice. But for the price it's was a great place. I heard bad things about the dogs. But they were friendly too!! Thanks everyone at the frog !!!!

• Stayed: November 2012
Reviewed November 24, 2012 via mobile

This place was close to Manuel Antonio and the beach which was great. They offered us a small dorm at regular dorm price because we would have been separated otherwise, so kind of them.
Breakfast was great and I looooove the dogs (especially Mocha). The pool is clean and the kitchen provided plenty to have ourselves a makeshift thanksgiving dinner.
There aren't hot showers but it was never a problem and the wifi can be limiting if you don't have a powerful device, but again, not really an issue.
We had a wonderful time.

• Stayed: November 2012
Also consider these accommodations in or near Quepos
Hotel Mono Azul
Hotel Mono Azul
#1 of 14 in Quepos
Serenity Boutique Hotel Quepos
Hotel Verde Mar
Hotel Verde Mar
#26 of 46 in Manuel Antonio
La Posada Private Jungle Bungalows
La Posada Private Jungle Bungalo...
#17 of 46 in Manuel Antonio
Las Cascadas The Falls
Las Cascadas The Falls
#19 of 46 in Manuel Antonio
Hotel Villa Romantica
Hotel Villa Romantica
#6 of 14 in Quepos

Been to Wide Mouth Frog? Share your experiences!