“Nice Option for Puntarenas Weekend Get-Away”
Review of Alamar Aparthotel

Alamar Aparthotel
Ranked #10 of 21 Hotels in Punta Arenas
Reviewed June 24, 2014

Located directly across the street from the Beach, this hotel is a nice option for a night or two away from the City (only an hour and 15 minutes from San Jose). Touted as the closest Beach to San Jose, Puntarenas is really making strides (new Boardwalk along the beach, lighting, etc.) I found this hotel next to Las Brisas and decided to check it out (I wasn't very happy with the staff at Las Brisas). The enclosed parking area is located directly behind the hotel, accessed through a door at the rear. I was welcomed warmly by the bi-lingual staff, given 2 Beach Towels and directed to my room. My room was quiet, clean and comfortable. The restroom was furnished with decent linens and other amenities. The room was also equipped with a TV (never necessary), fast WIFI and effective Air Conditioning (both Necessary for me). A hearty typical breakfast is included (Gallo Pinto, Eggs, Fruit, etc.) and the hotel is convenient to the Ferry to Naranjo (within walking distance).

Room Tip: I chose a room higher up (3rd Floor) in the back of the hotel for privacy (the rear rooms have a sec...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed May 28, 2014

I checked in at 8:30pm. Toted my bags in off the street as the parking was out back. Asked about the restaurant and they told me it closed at 9pm. By the time I sat down, it was 8:45pm and the server told me that I could have ceviche or a sandwich. I asked if there was somewhere close I could walk to safely and he sent me to a closed restaurant. It's late and I am walking alone with the drunks and the hookers on the strip but I find food. I come back and try to use the wifi but the receptionist doesn't have the correct password so he maintains that it simply isn't working then hangs up on me. I cannot believe I am paying almost a hundred dollars for this. Two thumbs down. If this is one of the better hotels in Puntarenas, get your butts to the ferry on time because I don't have any clue why anyone would actually stop here and the cost just adds insult to injury. P.S. The rooms have the overwhelming heavy smell of moth balls. Yay!

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled solo
Reviewed January 26, 2014

I didn't actually stay at this place, but checked it out, comparing it to the place I stayed next door (Las Brisas).

The common areas at the Alamar were quite well tended, and the pool area was lovely. the restaurant was very attractive though I haven't a clue what the food was like. The reception staff were very courteous and one of them showed me to a room to consider it for a return visit to Puntarenas. Modest and clean. It had a coffee pot, glasses, air conditioning, a chair. The bedspreads and curtains looked old and tired. Bummer.

I guess I would try this place because appearances matter to me, and considering what we had to contend with at the hotel next door, looks like the best bet.

And it was considerably cheaper, which is a consolation.

Good luck to any of us if we must stay in Puntarenas!

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 12, 2014 via mobile

Nice place with the beach right in front across the street. Room was clean, comfy, good cable and a flat screen. Staff is kind. Very well located as everything is at walking distance. It has a fenced parking lot. The place seems safe. The vault at the room is not attached to anything. It has a pool and a jacuzzi. Breakfast is included in the fare. It is simple but variated. There is cereal, pinto, toasts and scrambled eggs. Arepas and fruit. Coffe and juice. I missed bacon, ham, sausage or cheese but not big deal. I did not see an elevator so if you have heavy luggage the stairs may be a problem. I would definitely come back.

Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 13, 2013

If you need to stay in Puntarenas there really aren't a lot of options, and all of them will cost more than you wish you needed to spend. I fIew into San Jose too late to make the last ferry, so we were stuck. Of the places available, Hotel Alamar seemed the best value. They offer a locked parking lot, free wifi, and clean, air conditioned, but rather spartan rooms. We seemed to be the only native English speakers there that night. The hotel has a pretty courtyard and a pool. There is a restaurant that serves dinner, but we opted for a local restaurant within walking distance. After a quiet night, we took advantage of the free breakfast. It had a good buffet breakfast choices that included fresh fruit, rice and beans, pancakes, toast, sausage, and scrambled eggs. We would have liked some salsa or hot sauce to accompany the eggs, but all in all, it was a satisfying breakfast. As we ate, we watched the bicyclists race by, enjoyed the ocean view, and then got to the ferry in plenty of time. Not bad for a back-up plan kind of place.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Mary Frances L
Reviewed March 21, 2013

Just a nice little boutique hotel. No issues at all. Staff was helpful and it was clean and comfortable. Some aging and not the 4 Seasons but we didn't expect that. Stayed 4 nights with teenage kids. We ate at the restaurant one night. It was decent (Fish is your best option in Puntarenas). We were out much more than in, so our needs were basic. All good though.

Stayed: March 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank justawallett
Reviewed February 9, 2013

We took the 9:00 am bus from San Jose at the cost of about $7 for two. Great roomy bus, AC, state of the art transport. Got to the station in less than 3 hrs. $2.5 taxi ride to the hotel. Spend the afternoon walking around the town and on the beach. The Hotel itself is wonderfull. AC,TV,Pool, quiet after 9:00 and so accessable to everything. Taxis are constantly driving by, but really it is easy to walk to many good places to get fantastic Casados. The breakfast is included in the price of the room and let me say that it is the heartiest breakfast you could want! The patrons of the hotel were families on vacation just after the first of the year when we were there. It was Summer break for the kids and the families were having a ball in the pool and on the beach. It was just a great time for us to be there. Absolutely no bugs. Strolling on the beach at night just after sunset is very peacefull and can evan make old people sort of romantic. The Ferrys for Naranjo and Paquera are just 5 blocks away which makes it convienient to catch them without a long taxi ride. I would most highly recommend this hotel, it is not the least expensive that is available but in our opinion it is worth every penney.

Room Tip: If you are an afternoon "napper" you might want a room that is not close to the pool. But...
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
#13 of 21 in Punta Arenas
Vista Las Islas Hotel & Spa
Puerto Azul Boutique Resort & Marina
Doubletree Resort by Hilton, Central Pacific - Costa Rica

Been to Alamar Aparthotel? Share your experiences!