“Michael's Surfside Hotel”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Punta Arenas
Michael's Surfside Hotel
Ranked #1 of 15 Punta Arenas B&B and Inns
Chugiak, Alaska
“Michael's Surfside Hotel”
Reviewed March 7, 2014

the perfect location and more than reasonably prices, Michael's Surfside Hotel is the perfect place to stay in Puntarenas! There are looong stretches of beach right across the street, gambling casinos and good restaurants all around.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Beth99567

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Ohio City, Ohio
Reviewed February 5, 2014

As a traveling company we have been using Michael's Surfside Hotel for several years and we have not complaints at all about the hotel, service and Michael's kindness. We have taken groups of teenagers to this hotel during the summer and everything has been always a good experience. If you are traveling to Puntarenas or taking groups to the Central Pacific of Costa Rica this is a really good place to stay.

Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank RusticPathways
Marsh Harbour, Great Abaco Island
Reviewed January 1, 2014

This oceanfront hotel exceeded my expectations, and the owner/employees went above and beyond during my 9 day stay in Puntarenas last month. Michael is super pleasant and extremely accommodating! He assisted us with arranging for a guided tour of the area, and was always available to answer all the stupid questions that we tourists have. The room we stayed in was upstairs, and since this hotel is right on the water, our view was spectacular! The breeze was perfect so that AC was not necessary, however, the AC unit in the room cooled everything down in an instant on the one night we used it. The pool area was a total delight, and this entire property was totally immaculate. There is secured parking on the property, and we felt totally safe here. I would absolutely come again! Its proximity to the ferry, restaurants and shopping made it to where we never even had to use our rental car. I noticed a review here about bugs and mold smell, neither of which I noticed at all whatsoever. They also complained about a bed skirt problem, which I am sorry to say, I did not notice this being an issue. Thank you for the best stay ever and I look forward to returning very soon!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Lori925441
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed December 30, 2013

It is right up the street from the Ferry, (I assume that is why you are in Puntarenas). Great stop over. Great pool, easy in and out. Mike is very accommodating to all your needs. Great place for the room rate. It is too bad that TripAdviser will let bad reviews stand, Where there is no evidence of the reviewer actually staying at the place or even the competing Hotel up the street.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank WeaselSpice
Guelph, Canada
Reviewed December 15, 2013

I had the pleasure of staying at Michael's Surfside Hotel for 10 days in October and absolutely agree with the vast majority of the reviewers that it was nothing but a positive experience. Michael and his staff are wonderful people and would ensure that your stay is enjoyable and pleasant. In response to another review and after having toured all the rooms, I did not experience any mold smell whatsoever but only the smell of cleaning products as all the rooms are kept clean and well presented. Nor did I see any dungeons or dragons for that matter however there is a monkey living in the office. I may seen bugs but I see them where I live which very close to a lake and it is not even in the tropics. During my stay I was asked repeatedly how my room was and if there was anything that they could do. That said, if the guest had mentioned the bug concern or that the bed skirt was not up to their standards it would have been corrected immediately.
Puntarenas is a beach town that the Costa Rican people come to enjoy their leisure time and where cruise ships dock for excursions. There are always events happening including a stone sculpture contest on the beach and a marching band event held through the town while I was there. Unfortunately I missed the airshow that was held just after I had left. Michael's Surfside Hotel is located in a quiet area right across from the beach. The ocean front scenery was quite spectacular and serene. There are numerous restaurants within a very short walk from the hotel and the centre of town is well within walking distance.
Micheal took myself and another guest for a day excursion that included visiting a monkey sanctuary which should not be missed, a trip up the mountains, the alligator bridge and to a point high up overlooking the ocean and the lush jungle to enjoy the truly breath taking beautiful scenery.
Micheal's Hotel is definitely the place to stay if you are looking for very reasonably priced accomodation wanting to spend your budget dollars on excursions and adventures while in the area.

Room Tip: I stayed in the Suite and the room beside it both overlooking the ocean. Both recommended.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Toronto, Canada
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Micheal the owner was nice however the room we stayed in was awful. Mold smell, we had thin sheets on the bed with no mattress cover ....gross!! Dead bugs all behind the bed. The bed skirt on the single bed was filthy. The swimming pool and area was nice. I chose this hotel because of reviews and pictures but not sure where some of those pictures were taken because are room was nothing like that, we felt like we were in a dungeon! Would not recommend.

• Stayed November 2013
3 Thank Korn2
Hammerheadswamp, Owner at Michael's Surfside Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2014
Sometimes you have to wonder. Who were these people? I and my employees always ask our guests to let us know if anything is needed or out of order when they check in. We also inquire about their room and stay when they are checking out. That is standard policy. This is a small hotel and it would be nearly impossible to miss something like that. Why didn't they something before? Why are they impossible to contact?
As far as any smell in the rooms, it is not mildew. It may be fresh paint because we are always maintaining the place.
We use thin sheets here because of the tropical climate. Flannel is not acceptable. And we do offer blankets for those who like the cold A/C.
All mattresses have a mattress cover. And we clean the rooms thoroughly daily. I even have separate employees paid to verify the rooms are cleaned properly.
All of the pictures of my rooms are current. All of the rooms are different with a variety of options. Except I do not have a dungeon room. All of my rooms have large windows with sufficient lighting and ventilation.
If anyone experiences problems in my hotel I want to know about it so I can address and correct it.
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed November 12, 2013

I needed a night on our way to Nicoya, & didn't need anything special. Michael took my reservation over the phone & until we arrived - too early - I'd not had previous contact with him. He let us have the room at 1:30, let us use the hotel's clothesline & put our things in the dryer when that wasn't sufficient. I didn't ask, he just did it. The room was simple, clean & had plenty of amenities that would encourage me to use it for a longer stay, as we could cook there & have a fridge. My mattress had seen better days, but since I sleep on a futon I found a comfy depression without much problem. Perfect for the non-resort sort!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends