“Bad experience”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Punta Arenas
Michael's Surfside Hotel
Ranked #1 of 16 Punta Arenas B&B and Inns
Berlin, Germany
“Bad experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 9, 2013

One of the worst experiences on our trip to Costa Rica. Yes, we came late on short notice, there were no any good rooms available, and i wasnt really expecting five stars room. The guy that opened the door of the place to us, for what we are thankful, talked to my wife, and she agreed to the room he gave us, but only if wifi is working. He promised that to her, so i went to park the car. There was only one car parked there, and i parked maybe one meter from it. First problem. I reparked as close as possible to that car, probably his... Then we all went to the room together. 55 buck, room smelled like somebody just finished grilling hamburgers, "ac" was probably 40 years old and miniature, everything was rustic in negative way. Of course, wifi didnt worked. I have tried both, my laptop and my smartphone. What was Michaels response? He said to us to get out of the room and try to get the signal and then go back to the room. What a genius! I told him that wifi isnt working, he accused me that im arguing with him, and that was it. Give me my money back, ill rather sleep in my car. Bad, bad, experience. Location? Yes, its near the "beach", if you can call that moody strip a beach. Terrible.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank mikiboj
Hammerheadswamp, Owner at Michael's Surfside Hotel, responded to this review, February 18, 2013
This customer was at my hotel for about 20 minutes. He did not want to connect to the Free WiFi in the manor I suggested. He would not even try. The price $55 is about 1/2 of what the other hotels on the beach are charging. He made a mess of my hotel room. When he started speaking to me in a belligerent, condescending and rude manor I gave him back his money and asked him to leave.
I reserve my right to deny service to people who feel I am here to be their verbal punching bag.
I encourage people to leave reviews. But this has no base or value.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Cleveland, Tennessee
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2012

Michael's place is very clean, from the room's to the pool area and back to the parking lot and yard around it. He takes pride in his work. It's a great location for whatever your looking for, resturants, casinos, the coolest catamaran iv'e ever been on and good nightlife. You gotta check it out.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Guadalajara, Spain
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 8, 2012

I enjoyed our stay here, Mike and the staff are very nice, rooms immaculately clean. Mike is always only 30 seconds away when you have any queries or requests.

Only gripe I had was the wifi signal going on and off in the room. I know I am supposed to be on holiday, but you still need a decent connection to look up the next day's activities or skype people.

Room Tip: rooms are all good except they are far from the main strip of shops and restaurants
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Provo, Utah
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 1, 2012

One of the best hotel that I visit in Costa Rica. I spent just a couple of days there but it was enough to go back next time that I visit Costa Rica. The cabins are totally equiped with kitchen, fridge, big sofas and excellent view. Go there , you will not be dissapointed. beside that , this place is close to everything, you can walk 1/4 mile and take the ferry to visit different places at the other side of the shore, or eat at the PASEO DE LOS TURISTAS, plus the beach is just in front of the hotel, 35 yards of your cabin, accros the street. .......and Michael!!!!! always there to serve you.

Room Tip: In Costa Rica you will need A/C no matter what.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 30, 2012

This spot is highly recommended.

If you are reading this you are likely probably en route to the Nicoya peninsula. Michael's is about four blocks from the ferry (my girl and I walked, with luggage).

Michael is always available to cater to his guests.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Dtown_Hero
San Jose, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 4, 2012

Obviously the location is great being right on the beach. Everything is within walking distance. Place is clean with a pool. Rooms are nice and have a kitchen. Prices are good. The owner Michael is hands on and available at all times. Will definitely return and recommend to friends.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Raleigh
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2012

This place is definitely the best in Punta and the owner Michael is super nice and helpful. The rooms are large and very accommodating, nicer than most rooms back in the states! Hot water, microwave, TV, stove, huge bed. Michael is the man!!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo