“Great tour...”
Review of Odyssey Day Tours

Odyssey Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Odyssey Tours is an enterprising Costa Rican family business with 10 years of experience as tour operator, we can help you to plan your trip with transportation, guidance, accommodations, day tours, shore excursions and even restaurants. Our goal is to ensure the enjoyment of your vacations, our main location is Puntarenas but certainly we provide services in most of the tourist destinations of our country including Jaco, San Jose, Liberia surroundings, Manuel Antonio and Limon.
Venice, Florida
64 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 136 helpful votes
“Great tour...”
Reviewed February 1, 2014

We arrived in Puerto Caldera via cruise ship and Diego was standing at the the end of the gangplank with a sign. The mini bus we had was very comfortable and the AC was great. Our guide was Exon and he was an extremely pleasant young man, very knowledgeable and spoke great English.

We did the 6 in 1 Puntarenas Highlights tour and had a great day with a lot of wildlife spotting (Exon and driver were both great at pointing out the wildlife).

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Pauline H

Saint Louis, Missouri
4 attraction reviews
“Van to Monteverde”
Reviewed January 31, 2014

We were stopping on a ship in Puntarenas and wanted to go to Monteverde which is only about 50 miles away. The trip required 6 people and we were but two. Odyssey found 4 more from the ship which let us make the tour at a very reasonable price. Rain in the Cloud Forest always dampens the sightings but our guide Ronny Munos was enthusiastic and made our day wonderful.

Visited January 2014
Columbus, Ohio
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 2 helpful votes
“Odyssey Tours: Day tour from Puntarenas, Costa Rica”
Reviewed January 13, 2014

We hired Odyssey Tours via email to take our family of 10 (6 adults and 4 children) on a day tour. They sent us an itinerary which we agreed to and they were very accommodating when we wanted to make changes to the arrangements. Exon was a terrific guide; very personable and knowledgeable. He added greatly to making it a great trip for all.

Sharon

1 Thank sharon s s
Santa Clarita, California
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Bait and switch - Find another company”
Reviewed January 11, 2014

I arranged a tour with Alvaro during a cruise stop. The price of the tour was basically just as expensive as a comparable tour through the cruise line but Alvaro justified his price because we were to be taken around in a luxury mercedes van that seats 15 on a custom private guided tour. I was very careful to have him list ALL points of the tour so I could bring the email with me.

When we arrived the first sign of something amiss should have been when our tour guide didn't speak english. After this they tried to squeeze our 10 person party into and old run-down van that seated 9. I should have stopped and found another company right then. There were after all, dozens of tour operators right on the end of the dock waiting to take customers on tours. Most of them were less than half the price of Odyssey.

Luckily we had a native spanish speaker in our party so produced the email and we haggled a bit until the van was upgraded to a toyota van that seated 12. It still wasn't the van we contracted for but I was more interested in proceeding with the tour than getting a nice van. I was OK with this choice until later in the day when we actually ran into the van that we contracted for at one of the stops. It had already been sold to a larger party. Classy move Alvaro.

So at this point we are on our tour and the first 2 stops go without a hitch. The monkeys and the crocodiles are pretty cool. I will say however that at NO point during our tour did the tour guide offer any insight about the stops we were taking. It was actually a chore to get them to identify where we were at any given time.

After stop number 2 things went amiss again. The driver skipped the next 2 stops we were supposed to take and instead went to a hotel where we spent 1.5 hours walking the grounds. After that we were taken to a restaurant for lunch which was actually pretty good. It was across the beach and served fish, chicken, or beef with plaintains, rice, and some beans. I had the fish. Lunch was not terrible.

From here we were taken to a "locals" beach. The beach itself was nice but it was completely packed with locals to the point of being hard to find a spot. From what I could tell there are many different privately owned lots that back up to this particular beach and allow access and parking. The driver, who spoke NO english at all, and the guide were able to convince one of the guards at one property to let us park there. From here, the beach can be accessed by walking through the lot toward the ocean. We came out from under a canopy of trees to a beach that was oddly situated, hard to get to, packed, and really nothing special in any way I could identify. It was actually sort of rocky and loaded with ants. This wouldn't have been such an odd occurrence if we hadn't passed by miles of empty beach to get here.

At the end they took us to a tourist spot to shop. They offered wooden carved items, ceramics, hats, t shirts, and various other items that were supposedly made locally but sold ALL OVER central america. The only difference here was that everything was overpriced and the stuff all said Costa Rica. Oh, and you had to wear a sticker so the shop owners would know who exactly to give the kick-back to. Classy move again Alvaro.

Once we were done they took us back to the port. My agreed upon price was then raised by 5 dollars a person and another guy met us there to try to collect the fee. I don't know if this was alvaro or not but I politely told him that what the agreed upon price was and paid him in full with tip. *Incidentally I want to point out that this was a classy move on my part because this operation didn't deserve half of what I paid.

Costa Rica is a beautiful country but ended up being the low point of our trip. Switching the bus we agreed to, assigning us a guide who doesn't speak english, and ignoring the agreed upon itinerary, and switching the price at the end sort of killed it for all of us. I have never taken a tour this long before and only known marginally more about the country after the trip was over. We saw many interesting sights but at each stop there was no formal tour or explanation of anything. Everything was self-guided.

I would really caution people to stay away. Alvaro might sell you on a tour but you have NO idea what you will actually get when you arrive. If you have 1 day in port to see the sights, pick another tour operator.

7 Thank Jeremy P
Boston, Massachusetts
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Fantastic transport!!!”
Reviewed January 2, 2014

Our group of 10 had Odyssey Tours transport us around Costa Rica for 11 days. We were honored to have both Alvaro and Diego as drivers and they both made excellent recommendations for things to see and places to eat. They were on time each and every time and they seemed happy to share their knowledge of the area with us. The van was clean, comfortable and the driving was excellent, despite some of the tough road conditions. We cannot say enough positive things about them! We will definitely hire them again on our next visit!!!!