“Great Tour from Puntarenas”
Review of Odyssey Day Tours

Odyssey Day Tours
More attraction details
Owner description: Odyssey Tours is an enterprising Costa Rican family business with 10 years of experience as tour operator, we can help you to plan your trip with transportation, guidance, accommodations, day tours, shore excursions and even restaurants. Our goal is to ensure the enjoyment of your vacations, our main location is Puntarenas but certainly we provide services in most of the tourist destinations of our country including Jaco, San Jose, Liberia surroundings, Manuel Antonio and Limon.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We took this tour at our cruise stop in Puntarenas on January 25. We had emailed the company several months before leaving for vacation, and all emails were answered promptly and thoroughly. Tour guide Juan and driver/owner Diego met us on the pier at the pre-arranged time with a comfortable and clean van. There were 8 of us for the tour; we took the 6 in 1 Puntarenas highlight tour. Our guide, Juan, was very knowledgable about the wildlife and plants, and was good about asking our opinions about tour options when one pre-planned stop would not work out well. We stopped at a bridge over the Tarcoles River to see crocodiles, and took a short trip off the main road to see a pair of Scarlet Macaws. Juan had a telescope on a tripod to assist us in getting better photos of the birds, which were backlit high in a tree. We stopped at a hotel in the rain forest for a nature walk with Juan describing the various plants and trees, followed by a snack of melon and papaya. It did not work out to go to Punta Leona beach, but we went to Jaco Beach and had a delicious lunch there. There wasn't really any opportunity to swim, but we had not planned on it, so that was not a problem. The tour was 6 hours, a full day of seeing many sights in the area, but it was not rushed and the places at which we stopped were not crowded, so we thoroughly enjoyed it! Pura vida!

3  Thank OlafandLydia

Reviewed February 25, 2013

We enjoyed our visit to Manuel Antonio with Odyssey Tours. I had arranged this tour before we got to Costa Rica. The van was very nice and the air conditioning worked great. Our guide, Juan, was very knowledgable and spoke very good English. Juan helped us to spot wildlife (a couple of sloths, bats, white faced monkeys and more) at the park and we even stopped to look at crocodiles and some scenery on the way there. Juan was also very entertaining. Lunch (which was included in the tour) was very good at a little hole-in-the-wall type place. I think it was San Pedro Restaurant (?). I would have never picked it out from the street, but it was very good local food. They also had cold drinks in the van which was very much appreciated! Based on this experience, I highly recommend this tour company.

1  Thank kappesfamily
Reviewed February 17, 2013

We thoroughly enjoyed the four tours with Odyssey Tours during our trip to Costa Rica. They were on time, courteous, knowledgeable and provided great service. Our tours consisted of Manuel Antonio National Park, Tortuga Island boat trip, Monteverde Cloud Forest and Poaz Volcano Park. On Each trip our guide provided us with expert information about the plants and animals we saw. Odyssey knows where to go to avoid the crowds and the best local places to eat lunch. Their tour prices are fair and the a/ c vans were very comfortable. We think very highly of this tour company and its great staff.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

We spent the day with this company traveling to Manual Antonio and Isle of Damas for the monkey tour. Juan and his driver Mr R, we professional informative, helpful. We has to seniors on the tour and them assisted with transportation and patience with getting in and out of vehicles and onto boats. I highly recommend this company for your traveling tours.

1  Thank Shari D
Reviewed January 12, 2013

Alvaro was excellent in responding with my inquiries. My husband and I wanted to get a taste of costa rica, and zip line with only a day in port. I posted on cruise critic and Alvaro offered it on his web site. He recommended the jungle cruise and zip line with lunch in Jaco. We would see the white faced monkeys, beach, Santa Lucia village, Puntarenas city tour, villa caletas amphitheater and ocean views, and stop at a grocery store for coffee and vanilla.
19 People had booked the trip and as we boarded the cruise, we requested Alvaro close the trip to the 19 people that had signed up. We were off the ship and waiting with Juan (guide) at 8:15. Juan looked for a few others, they had accepted additional people (22) total. Juan was looking for one of these late bookings. 45 minutes later we were boarding the bus and the girl
juan had been looking for was in the front seat of our bus which had been reserved for one of two peoplewith motionsensitivity! Precious time had been wasted. The driver and Juan should have communicated the girl was in the bus and the girl should have been moved out of the front seat.
Juan showed us the white faced monkeys on the way to the jungle river cruise and Juan was
friendly and informative the times he was with us. It held about 40 people, so were were placed with another group. I feel the price for this portion should have been less since we shared a full
boat and Juan did not stay with us. We had the boat pilot and a river guide. The crocodile feeding was a surprise. The man gets in the water next to the croc and it happened just outside our boat. The croc even bumped into our boat. Nothing like being up close and personal!
Lunch was good. It was a while until I figured out Juan didn't understand we were expecting
more than the two events. He was content to keep things at a leisure pace. Some of us were
dropped off for the zip line and Juan and the van went on to take others for the rain forest tram. I
do not recommend splitting up. We finished the zip line portion and had to wait for the bus to return and pick us up. We did not have time to do other things on our itinerary such as Santa Lucia. Also, Juan stopped at an expensive souvenir shop, NOT a local grocery store. The coffee and vanilla were expensive, so don't fall for the "grocery stop".
There is a coffee shop just before the walkway for the cruise dock, so you could buy a cup of coffee and get free Internet there.
I would recommend using Alvaro and I would use odyssey tours, just be very specific, 22 was
too many with splitting the group up at the rain forest. Make certain alvaro communicates to the guide your full itinerary. Juan didn't have a clue what we had been told we would see. One
guest had it printed on her phone as well as me. I felt we had too much "wait " time, that could have been better used to sight see.
Cruise critic is a good avenue for "getting" a group together for day trips. This was my first
time organizing a trip. Alvaro made it easy and I did not know any of these people until we posted on cruise critic. The night before puntarenas, I called everyone on my list to get them to meet up just off the ship as soon as we were allowed off the ship. The girl we waited for was not on my list and did not even stop for the waiting tour guides.

5  Thank WaterviewSeeker