“Lovely ecolodge”

Danta Corcovado Lodge
Reviewed July 11, 2013

We spent one night at Danta near the end of our recent trip to the Osa Peninsula. The lodge is beautiful (we stayed in the family house). We spent some time talking with owner Merlin, who has done much of the design and building. We appreciatde the great attention to environmental issues, and especially enjoyed the many creative, artistic touches. The food was wonderful. They have an extensive network of trails (which we unfortunately just explored briefly--we had just hiked 12 miles out of Sirena the day before, and were sore!) We highly recommend Danta!

Stayed: June 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank Trina B

Reviewed June 1, 2013

This was my second stay at Danta Corcovado Lodge. Everything about Danta is first class. The bungalows have their own special features and individual charms. The bungalows allow you privacy as you enjoy the wildlife sounds and sights. The bathrooms are unique and actually quite beautiful. Within a short walk you are at the main lodge where the service is spectacular. The staff make sure you are comfortable and have all you need. The food is delicious for every meal. The care and detail to each meal is evident in its presentation and taste. The cocktails are each hand crafted and another example of the staff's dedication to the guests. I would highly recommend staying at Danta Corcovado Lodge while visiting the Osa Peninsula

Stayed: May 2013
4  Thank Kyla A
Reviewed May 24, 2013

This was my 5th year to stay at Danta Corcovado Lodge. This lodge has the perfect combination of location, beauty, and solitude to make for an unforgettable experience. It is located in the rain forests of the Osa Peninsula in the southwest corner of Costa Rica. The bungalows and common areas of the lodge possess the marks of the truly artistic craftsmanship of the owner and the staff. They do amazing things with wood! The food is amazing and the well-stocked bar adds to the experience. The location of the bungalows in the rain forest makes for a truly special experience of sleeping and waking to the sounds of the frogs, birds, and other wildlife of the rain forest. The well-marked trail system and local roads are great for nature lovers and especially for bird watchers. As I have returned to this location year after year my love of this place on the earth has only grown. Give yourself the gift of this special and memorable experience. Add a side trip into the wonders of the Corcovado National Park that is next door. Or explore the mangrove swamps along the beautiful Golfo Dulce in a kayak. Meet the local residents of the neighboring village. Or do nothing but relax in one of the most beautiful and relaxing locations on the planet.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Chuck D
Reviewed May 20, 2013

I loved my stay! My cabin was beautiful and I appreciated getting to walk through the forest a little to get to it. I made sure to visit all the cabins to see their uniqueness. Getting to fall asleep to the sounds of nature is such a treat. The food was great. I only eat fish and otherwise I eat a vegetarian diet, and they accommodated my picky eating very well. I will gladly go back and stay there again.

Room Tip: I loved my room because it didn't have walls. Just the translucent curtains. That suited me just...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled with friends
5  Thank climberyogi
Reviewed May 17, 2013

I recently spent the 2nd week of May at Danta Corcovado Lodge, and I had an absolutely wonderful time there. I especially appreciated the fact that they have 4 kilometers of well-marked (if sometimes challenging) trails on the property (which adjoins Corcovado National Park) through what I found to be the most beautiful rainforest I'd ever seen (and I've been to extremely remote wilderness areas in the Peruvian Amazon on 4 occasions.) I personally never found it necessary to enter the National Park on this trip, as I saw over 70 different species of wildlife on the lodge property (including squirrel, capuchin and howler monkeys, coatimundi, a variety of tree frogs, king vultures, scarlet macaws, 2 types of poison dart frogs, cat-eyed snakes, numerous lizard species, and spectacled caiman, just to name a few.) Brilliant blue morpho butterflies were also extremely common, as were many other butterfly and moth species. In fact, the only species that was totally absent (much to my delight) was Homo sapiens; I never encountered another person on any of my hikes on the outer trails, nor did I ever see a single piece of trash on any of the trails. (Some advice regarding these trails: the terrain can be fairly rugged, the hard red clay earth becomes extremely slick when wet, and in places the trail is very narrow and steep; wear suitable hiking boots, be cautious and take your time. I found the walking stick that Nelson gave to me before my first outing to be absolutely indispensable, and I carried it with me everywhere but to the bathroom and restaurant!)
In addition to the walking stick, I also appreciated some of the other helpful little amenities that the Lodge offers to guests, such as umbrellas, rubber boots and flashlights (though I always bring my own inexpensive little headlamp to the jungle for viewing wildlife at night, which leaves my hands free for operating a camera, climbing up a muddy embankment, and/or waving away mosquitos.) And after a day spent marinating in my own sweat, mud, and various applications of oily insect repellent, the pleasure of being able to have a nice hot shower each evening was almost indescribably wonderful.
The staff people that I encountered were all very friendly, professional and accommodating, the food was delicious, and the unique lodgings and decor (much of which is handcrafted) were simply amazing. I was so impressed that I booked my next stay (for January) the morning before I left, and I can hardly wait to get back there.
If you appreciate the natural beauty that the tropical rainforest has to offer, and are up for some vigorous and challenging hiking, Danta Corcovado Lodge should be part of your Costa Rica itinerary.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
7  Thank MsAnneThrope
Reviewed April 26, 2013

Out of the way, out of the ordinary place on a dirt road in the jungle, this unusual spot offers beautiful jungle trails and villas isolated along some of those trails. Remarkable wood and ceramic constructions in the villas, including a panther holding the showerhead, chairs made from the trunks of trees, bedsteads made to look like wooden spiderwebs. Meals are expensive, and tours offered here are extremely expensive. Should be more eco-friendly by not penalizing those who arrive by other than private car.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Lance C
Reviewed April 17, 2013

We stayed in one of their standard rooms (rana room) and were beyond delighted with the handmade furniture and one-of-a-kind outdoor bathroom. Food was excellent and staff were very accommodating when I explained I couldn't eat dairy. The bar is open throughout the day if you want to cool down with a cold cerveza or care for a glass of wine, mixed drink, fruit juice, etc. They even did a load of laundry for us ($3.50/kg), arranged transfers to and from Puerto Jimenez and helped us book a car for San Jose. 5+ stars for service!

With regard to the negative reviews: If you're expecting A/C, look elsewhere. Between the fans and cool showers, we were mostly comfortable. The Osa Peninsula is pretty humid and there's not much you can do about it... I wouldn't say it's the lodge's fault. Arrive with a sense of adventure and you'll have a great time.

There are 3-4 km of trails to hike on the property though we preferred the walk into La Palma for exercise, which is especially nice just before dusk. Corcovado isn't too far away (90 mins to Carate, near La Leona). Consider making plans for a multi-day hike prior to your stay. We made private arrangements with a guide in Puerto Jimenez.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
#5 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Encanta La Vida
Encanta La Vida
#4 of 5 in Cabo Matapalo

Been to Danta Corcovado Lodge? Share your experiences!