All reviews days stay white faced monkeys convenience store communal kitchen close to the airport the owner spider monkeys every morning clams enjoyed my stay the wi fi grounds are beautiful andrew del mangroves wildlife cabin
Selected filters
Reviewed September 17, 2018

Yes I saw the previous bad review and got myself worried. But no, it is a pleasant hotel with a great garden full of birds and monkeys, etc. The host was friendly and helpful. They provided me with a room with mosquito nets and air conditioners and hot showers. All at a decent price. What else can I ask for? Oh yes, the room is a bit too small. But that is my only complaint. Otherwise I enjoyed my stay.

Date of stay: September 2018
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 20, 2018 via mobile

The previous reviewers must not have stayed in any of the family rooms! We are traveling with kids thru CR and love this country and its people. Since we’ve traveling in various parts of CR we’ve stayed in many different places. Some were better and some were a bit worse, but none were as bad as a family room in La Chosa Del Manglar. Hostel type room, with 8 bunk beds and nothing else. One tiny mat to wipe our feet on which of course isn’t enough considering all the rain and the room becomes a complete mess no matter how much you try. Oh.. and the best part, you put your own bedding onto the beds!! For $111/night we felt absolutely cheated!!

Date of stay: August 2018
Trip type: Traveled with family
ChosadelManglar, Owner at Chosa Manglar Nature Retreat, responded to this reviewResponded August 25, 2018

I'm sorry about the confusion with your room. My wife told me about your experience and that your threatened to leave a horrible review. What happened was that the room was not changed from the dormitory set up which we had for all our student groups in July and August back to the family room set up with a double bed and 4 singles. It's too bad you didn't mention it right away and we would have easily and happily converted it for you. But YOU didn't say anything to anybody and even booked a second night. We knew nothing about your disappointment until you were leaving after your second night stay. We did allow you to keep all of your luggage in the room while you visited the park overnight and did not charge you for the night (even though we could not rent it to others) so I would think that one would feel some consolation or even gratitude for the free night. I'm really not sure why guests don't say anything, then book another night and then leave derogatory comments rather than just point out the shortcoming and give the establishment a chance to rectify the situation, but i guess they do and there isn't much hotels can do about it except respond to the comments after their departure rather than try and fix an issue during their stay. I know for a fact that if I rated a place a 1 out of 5 i sure wouldn't book a second night and leave the entire families luggage in the room while spending hundreds of dollars on an overnight tour, something doesn't seem to add up here???

Reviewed July 28, 2018 via mobile

We stumbled upon this place because it was the only place on hostel world that still seemed to have space (in tents?). But when we arrived we were put in this beautiful suite, Casa Manglar, with a private kitchen and living room and terrace for wildlife watching, bbq and ping pong table. Even a small shared pool to cool off for the same super low price. The bedrooms were clean and we'll presented with aircon and mosquito nets. Loads of wildlife to see. We loved it so much we booked again for the end of our trip. Unfortunately this time we were put in the more basic Cabinos. however they were still totally spotless, ensuite airconned rooms with all the same shared amenities and beautiful location. Also only 5 mins walk from town. Can not recommend more highly.

Date of stay: July 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends

So happy to hear you enjoyed the property.

Reviewed June 8, 2018 via mobile

I stayed at La Chosa del Manglat for 5 nights in April. I was there to visit friends and do some volunteer work. After a long morning and afternoon of traveling, I finally checked in. There was a billing disagreement that was quickly resolved in a friendly way. This was very important... admittedly, the error was not mine, but at no time was the gentleman at the front desk rude or dismissive. We patiently worked through the problem together until it was solved. This would set the tone for my stay. All of the staff was always courteous and helpful. The manager even helped me, quite extensively, ensure that I did not miss a night tour that I was desperately looking forward to (there had been some confusion due to the weather). Aside from having some items taken from the fridge by other guests (find a way to bag your stuff up and label it and you will have no problems) my stay exceeded my expectations. I found the room to be exactly what I expected- comfortable and clean.... simple and attractive.... but the grounds exceeded my expectations. There are a lot of critters tucked away on the property. This made for great sunrise and evening birding. Even though the property isn’t gigantic, it packs a lot of wildlife if you stop, watch and listen each day. Though monkeys did come by, the birds were awesome! I really appreciated their bird feeder stations as well. It is like a little slice of heaven just off the main road! La Chosa is VERY close to the Sansa airline office, across the street from a convenience store, a short walk to the beach front and the wonderful restaurants and bars there, as well as a short walk to the grocery store and sodas in town. The best thing was that the staff seemed to look forward to hearing about my volunteer work and they really forced me to practice my Espanol... even if I had to include hand gestures! I think back very fondly of my time there and would very much like to stay there again if I am fortunate enough to be back in town! Thank you for a memorable stay La Chosa del Manglar!

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled solo
Reviewed May 8, 2018 via mobile

Lovely authentic place to stay! We were in the ‘kinkajou’ suite which is big and beautifully decorated and has it’s own little patio area which is nice to sit out on and watch the crabs. The grounds are beautiful to walk around - we saw hummingbirds and a toucan and so many beautiful flowers. It is very close to the town and the beach but not right in the town/beach which is nice, as it’s a little quieter and more private. And you can literally just walk to the airport it’s 100m down the road! The staff are very friendly and very helpful, going out of there way to sort things out for you, the owner is a lovely chap - giving us lots of advice about the area and even some delicious fruit smoothie!

Date of stay: April 2018
Trip type: Traveled with friends

Flora and Fauna, that's what it's all about, glad you had a great stay