Let me start by saying that I have been travelling to Costa Rica since the mid-eighties, and have been to most areas in this beautiful country. The OSA Peninsula is my favourite area for fabulous wildlife, laid-back vibe, and meeting other like-minded travellers. My new favourite spot on the OSA is Iguana Lodge, for all of the above reasons. Here are a few more:
Beach- it's hard to find a place in the OSA that is rife with wildlife AND right on the beach. The beach at Iguana is practically deserted( you can walk for miles) and the surf is not as strong as many of the other lodges in this area, particularly south. The Golfo Dulce is absolutely stunning!
Yoga- Daily yoga classes are included in the cost of your stay. I took a few classes with Lauren, the owner, and thought she was a great teacher. The relatively new yoga platform(and spa) overlook the fabulous lap pool.
Wildlife- Scarlet macaws everywhere!! They like to hang out in the trees on the beach, and you could hear their raucous calls right at the lodge, as well. Howler monkeys woke us up every morning. And the resident dogs, Bam Bam and Spike, were a joy to have around! Such sweethearts!
Accomodations- we were kindly upgraded to the beautiful family casita, which is a 2 storey cabin, very open, with screens. We loved the privacy and spent a lot of time on the deck. However, the club rooms, which are more economical, were recently renovated, and were quite lovely as well.
Food- simply put, amazing! Probably some of the best food I've eaten in Costa Rica!
Friday Night Salsa- What a fabulous night! The owners, Lauren and Toby, open up the restaurant(buffet to die for -$8!) to the locals and the dancing begins! Lauren and Toby sure know how to dance, and the spirit of the night is 100% Pura Vida!
In a word- just go!!! This place just rocks in too many ways to mention. I've already booked a return trip in January!
Thanks, Lauren, Toby and wonderful staff, for putting your heart and soul into such a wonderful, heart-warming venture!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Iguana Lodge is the Osa Peninsula's premier beach eco-resort. Established over eleven years ago, Iguana Lodge is founded on the principles of sustainable tourism, personalized service, joy, health, and well-being. Located on the most beautiful beach on the Osa (no kidding), Iguana Lodge is a contemporary, lushly landscaped resort with a 20 meter lap pool and Jacuzzi, two yoga decks and complimentary yoga classes*, a deluxe spa, a fabulous Tico staff, award winning fresh, healthy meals at our two restaurants, our own naturalist, and excellent jungle and ocean adventures. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz and Travelocity so you can book your Iguana Lodge reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Iguana Hotel Puerto Jimenez
- Iguana Resort Puerto Jimenez
- Iguana Lodge Costa Rica/Puerto Jimenez