“Paradise at its Best” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #3 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
CA
“Paradise at its Best”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 1, 2013

You won't have a better experience on the OSA than if you stay at Iguana. Toby & Lauren and their amazing staff provided the perfect ending to another perfect trip to Costa Rica. The grounds and simple structures are all incredibly beautiful. The breakfast at the open air main building is sumptuous with freshly made everything. The on-site chef prepares beautiful food for dinner with your choice of dining locations - the elevated bamboo room over the main building, on the outside deck, in your room or at their restaurant. The bar and restaurant is the perfect setting for a casual lunch or dinner with an ocean view, live music on Friday nights for the whole family and amazing food. The yoga and massage studio are in a stunningly beautiful 2 story open air bamboo building that is elegant, but simple. The Casitas offer a beautiful and private setting amongst the lush grounds where you will find a deck and hammock, couch and rocker, a beautiful room with rainfall shower and a private bathroom. Their are miles of beach to enjoy. You may even get a four-legged escort by the resident dog - Spike. This is not a fancy resort with all kinds of amenities. It's simple and beautiful and a place to go to reconnect with nature and discover what it really means to relax. Pura Vidal!!

Room Tip: You have a choice of stand alone Casitas with a room on top and one below or one of the eight rooms...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (118)
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

I was going to Costa Rica to stay with a friend, but she got called to the states on an emergency. So I was stuck in a strange place all alone. This is not how I felt after spending about 10 minutes at the Iguana Lodge. The people that work there were so friendly and helpful, and that spread to most of the guests. I have stayed at many "luxury" resorts where I spent far more money and received much less customer service. I would be happy to return many times in the future.

The lodge is beautiful. It fits in well to the location and doesn't feel intrusive. There is NO Air Conditioning. This is stated several times on the website and made me think long and hard before I went. Why there are people complaining about that, I don't understand. If you wanted AC, you should have booked at a place that doesn't brag about how it has NO AC! It was warm and humid, but not uncomfortable with the fans on. Perhaps in the hotter times it might be worse, but I had no problems.

I was in one of the rooms above the restaurant. I did not find it to be noisy due to restaurant noise. I was often awakened early in the morning by the birds and the Howler Monkeys, but I enjoyed that. The room was a bit small, but comfortable. The bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was terrific.

The food was exceptional! I signed up for the meal plan which allowed me to have the "family-style" dinner in the lodge. I am not a big fan of eating and making conversation with strangers. But the meals sounded delicious, so I took the chance. The lodge was not full when I was there, so the dinners were small, I was not uncomfortable and made some friends while there. The food was amazing, and well worth any discomfort caused by eating in a group with people I don't know. The chef is a magician!

The breakfasts were also amazing, the fresh fruit, coconut water, pastries, and eggs, etc were fresh and flavorful. Instead of eating alone, I often ended up eating with the people I had met at the lodge. (Because of the family-style dinners and the general friendliness of the place)

The Perla restaurant also had great food. Try the fried whole fish, so tasty! The staff was wonderful, they quickly felt like good friends and I will never forget how they made me feel at home and not at all alone. They also spoke very good English, but were happy to help me practice my Spanish.

The tours that were offered were varied and interesting. The prices were quite reasonable and everything was efficiently organized and planned. The spa was a real treat. Everything I did met or exceeded expectations.

The owners were quite busy with a big project to help the community while I was there, yet they were friendly, concerned, and helpful. They did not spend a lot of time with most of the guests, but they explained that they were busy and why, made themselves available if needed, and were never rude. Frankly, I have not stayed at a lot of places where you even knew who the owners were, so I was pleased with their attempts to ensure everyone was doing well even though they were very busy.

I saw very few bugs, no jellyfish or other problem creatures. The beach has not been tamed and dredged with reefs and sand added, so it is more like a real beach. If you are looking for manicured beaches and golf course-like landscaping, then the Iguana Lodge and the Osa are not for you.

It was one of the BEST vacations I have ever had and I would be happy to go back anytime.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank 0Val0
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 27, 2013

Nice experience at Iguana Lodge. Everything was perfect, the Location was the Best. The cabins are comfortable, the food was amazing. The Staff the Best of Costa Rica. Dont forget to visit this lodge. Were our Higlight Trip in costa rica. Pura Vida Mae

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 15, 2013

Don't let the long drive down the dirt road stop you from enjoying this wonderful lodge. We had booked a cabin room, but since they were not busy we were upgraded to a treehouse cabin on the second floor and we were so glad to be there! The cabin was such a unique experience....completely screened in with wonderful ocean and jungle sounds, a hammock, and a huge patio! What a treat! With no locks on the doors and no air conditioning we were a bit apprehensive going in, but the working safe in the bathroom and the floor fan and ceiling fan were enough to keep us comfortable. Be prepared for everything to feel damp...clothes, towels, sheets...the humidity was very high there. Also be prepared to cozy up with a bug or two (or more!). We were happy to have mosquito netting over our bed. The in-room library gave us the opportunity to read in the hammock and truly relax. The food was great...breakfast and the other meals we ate there. We actually ate many meals there since the town was a bit of a drive away with few choices for dining. The service staff was also very friendly. The beach was gorgeous and unspoiled...a rare treat these days. We could have stayed at the resort all day every day for the three days we were there.

Room Tip: If you are renting a cabin room be prepared for bar noise. If you are renting a tree house try to g...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 13, 2013

this was our second time to Costa Rica and first to the Osa Peninsula and our 2 kids (5 and 8). Iguana lodge was wonderful, the food was great, staff extremely kind and helpful. we stayed in one of the Casista--I recommend asking for the upper level, the view of the sunrise when you wake up is great. If you read the website they warn folks that this is not for everyone- I agree. there is no a/c and you have to be ok with little creatures everywhere. our kids loved it. when we went there were a number of other kids and they would all run around together in the afternoons. the staff was very helpful in setting up trips and also letting us know what would and wouldn't be good for our family (for example you have to be 6 yrs to go to the wildlife sanctuary). Sindar the naturalist and guide there was wonderful, highly recommend going on a trip with him.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Denver
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 8, 2013

My family (including 2 boys ages 5 and 8) spent 4 nights at the Iguana Lodge in March. Overall we loved the experience. We've been to CR 3 times and the OSA is the most beautiful part of the country.The hotel's location is spectacular - situated in the jungle on a pristine white sand beach. The general spaces of the hotel are terrific including the yoga studio and eating areas. The staff is amazing, particularly the naturalist - be sure to book several outings with him. The chef could cook for a Michelin star restaurant - the food is really that amazing. However, the casitas leave a lot to be desired - they are screened in which is good but nevertheless they aren't sturdy structures and so the jungle comes inside (we had toads, crabs and a very large hairy spider). We slept upstairs and had to go down a long, dark flight of stairs to use the bathroom at night (at least 10 trips per night between the four of us due to the humidity). It's really hot and while they provide one fan it isn't enough to get comfortable - so we didn't sleep well. So lots and lots of positive things to say with the exception of the rooms. However, if you are willing to rough it a bit with the rooms you will love this hotel and the OSA.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank stephanie m
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

We went to Costa Rica for the first time this February (my husband, my mother in law and me). Iguana Lodge was our last stop on our 10-day trip. We spent three wonderful nights here. We had booked two club rooms, but upon arrival, Giovanni, one of the many wonderful people at the front desk, happily informed us that we'd been upgraded to one of the villas. I never saw the club rooms, so can't comment on those, but the villa was amazing. My husband and I were on the top floor, with open-air shower and bathroom, and large bedroom that looked out toward the ocean. My mother-in-law had a bedroom on the middle floor, and the ground floor was an open-air seating area complete with kitchen. In the morning, monkeys swung right past our large deck (the first morning, it was a group of white-faced capuchins, the second morning, it was howler monkeys with babies in tow). The jungle symphony (or cacophony, depending on your opinion) turned on exactly at 5:30am every morning, and scarlet macaws flew around throughout the day. We loved it. Lauren and Toby are wonderful hosts, and their entire crew is great... Sidnar is an excellent guide and helped us see an amazing number of birds and animals on our hike through the Matapalo Preserve (bird lovers, this is a must-do hike), and all of the people at the front desk and at both restaurants are wonderful (Martes and another lovely woman whose name I can't remember, as well as Bladimir, Catherine, and many others whose names I'm forgetting, I'm afraid). Also, we LOVED the food. I can't recommend Iguana Lodge highly enough (though, again, I should note that our stay was no doubt improved by the unexpected upgrade to the beautiful villa). Thank you, Iguana, for an amazing experience!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Bosque del Cabo Rainforest Lodge
La Chosa del Manglar
La Chosa del Manglar
#7 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Iguana Lodge? Share your experiences!