“wonderful lodge, food and people”
Review of Iguana Lodge

Iguana Lodge
Ranked #3 of 12 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Reviewed April 13, 2013

this was our second time to Costa Rica and first to the Osa Peninsula and our 2 kids (5 and 8). Iguana lodge was wonderful, the food was great, staff extremely kind and helpful. we stayed in one of the Casista--I recommend asking for the upper level, the view of the sunrise when you wake up is great. If you read the website they warn folks that this is not for everyone- I agree. there is no a/c and you have to be ok with little creatures everywhere. our kids loved it. when we went there were a number of other kids and they would all run around together in the afternoons. the staff was very helpful in setting up trips and also letting us know what would and wouldn't be good for our family (for example you have to be 6 yrs to go to the wildlife sanctuary). Sindar the naturalist and guide there was wonderful, highly recommend going on a trip with him.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

My family (including 2 boys ages 5 and 8) spent 4 nights at the Iguana Lodge in March. Overall we loved the experience. We've been to CR 3 times and the OSA is the most beautiful part of the country.The hotel's location is spectacular - situated in the jungle on a pristine white sand beach. The general spaces of the hotel are terrific including the yoga studio and eating areas. The staff is amazing, particularly the naturalist - be sure to book several outings with him. The chef could cook for a Michelin star restaurant - the food is really that amazing. However, the casitas leave a lot to be desired - they are screened in which is good but nevertheless they aren't sturdy structures and so the jungle comes inside (we had toads, crabs and a very large hairy spider). We slept upstairs and had to go down a long, dark flight of stairs to use the bathroom at night (at least 10 trips per night between the four of us due to the humidity). It's really hot and while they provide one fan it isn't enough to get comfortable - so we didn't sleep well. So lots and lots of positive things to say with the exception of the rooms. However, if you are willing to rough it a bit with the rooms you will love this hotel and the OSA.

1  Thank stephanie m
Reviewed March 30, 2013

We went to Costa Rica for the first time this February (my husband, my mother in law and me). Iguana Lodge was our last stop on our 10-day trip. We spent three wonderful nights here. We had booked two club rooms, but upon arrival, Giovanni, one of the many wonderful people at the front desk, happily informed us that we'd been upgraded to one of the villas. I never saw the club rooms, so can't comment on those, but the villa was amazing. My husband and I were on the top floor, with open-air shower and bathroom, and large bedroom that looked out toward the ocean. My mother-in-law had a bedroom on the middle floor, and the ground floor was an open-air seating area complete with kitchen. In the morning, monkeys swung right past our large deck (the first morning, it was a group of white-faced capuchins, the second morning, it was howler monkeys with babies in tow). The jungle symphony (or cacophony, depending on your opinion) turned on exactly at 5:30am every morning, and scarlet macaws flew around throughout the day. We loved it. Lauren and Toby are wonderful hosts, and their entire crew is great... Sidnar is an excellent guide and helped us see an amazing number of birds and animals on our hike through the Matapalo Preserve (bird lovers, this is a must-do hike), and all of the people at the front desk and at both restaurants are wonderful (Martes and another lovely woman whose name I can't remember, as well as Bladimir, Catherine, and many others whose names I'm forgetting, I'm afraid). Also, we LOVED the food. I can't recommend Iguana Lodge highly enough (though, again, I should note that our stay was no doubt improved by the unexpected upgrade to the beautiful villa). Thank you, Iguana, for an amazing experience!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank andrea141
Reviewed March 21, 2013

We stayed in a club room facing the ocean on a particularly quiet week. It felt like we had the place to ourselves. We did activities in the morning (tree climb with Andy was the best!) then had lunch and a siesta followed by yoga, swim or a walk by the ocean in the afternoon. Yoga with Tracy was great. Treat yourself to a massage with her as well, it was the most relaxing experience, (sound of the jungle and ocean as she rubs your aches and pains away). Communal dinners were gourmet although the menu didnt really include any local food. Staff was helpful and pleasant. Only disappointment was the ocean was full of jellyfish...we got stung repeatedly. And lack of beach chairs, covered umbrellas etc. Overall a very pleasant and relaxing week.

Room Tip: Club rooms were great and a much better price. Ask for one facing the ocean. Awesome sunrise view.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank dervishgirl_13
Reviewed March 10, 2013

It has been awhile since I have traveled to Iguana Lodge. Yet, my family and I have traveled there four times. I am 16 so yes I am young but I must say this lodge is the most incridable place I have ever been. The first time I visted Iguana lodge I was 11 years old and to this day it continues to be my favorite place. Everyone there is so friendly! You will never fail to make a friend or more! The staff is incridable they help you with anything and they truely become your friends. On Pasta Night it is always fun to socialize with the locals. I danced more on those nights then I thought possible. It's also fun to met the other guests there. I went to Iguana when the landing strip for the airport wasn't paved and when IL didn't have a pool. Even then it was the most incridable experence I could have had. The chef they have is amazing too. All the meals are so fresh, they are really good about appealing to all tastes. Yes, I am a teenager and yes I love sleeping in but I must admit waking up to the birds and monkeys is one of the best things about this place! If it isnt nature calling in the mornings it is the beautiful sunrise. Waking up also isn't that hard because of the fact that when it gets dark at night- it is DARK. Its so natural!! No city lights and noise just the lulling sounds of the waves. Sleep comes easy. It is very humid there and of course there are bugs and crabs but really don't come here if your planning on being pammered. Iguana Lodge is a incridable adventure all by it's self. Don't get me wrong though. Cooling off in the pool, napping in hammics and the spa/yoga can make you feel more relaxed than ever. IL also offers some amazing adventures everything from ziplining to a hike in the rainforest. My favorite had to be the wildlife refuge though, being so close to wildlife like that was unbelievable. The beaches are amazing too! I loved playing in the waves. They can get a little rough sometimes but thats half the fun! After a battle in the waves it is always fun to go back up to The Pearl and get some lunch. They make amazing food and it is just a friendly enviorment. You can relax and look out at the gorgous view of the beaches or stuff your face with some of the best nachos there are. Oh! I can't forget the dogs. Those pups are so sweet! They do good at not begging but you can find them napping at your feet! All in all even you aren't looking to get waited on hand and foot and wanting a truely magical experence this is your place. I couldn't be more in love with Iguana Lodge and can't wait to return! Everyone is so friendly and the sights are beyound breathtaking. I promise you, when you go here it will be a trip you will never forget.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
4  Thank Mkat_13
Reviewed March 6, 2013

Stayed at Iguana for 3 nights last week. 5th trip to Costa Rica. Gotta say that I have never seen such a concentration of Scarlet Macaws! Other hightlights included monkeys on premises, Vladimir at the bar, Free Yoga, great breakfasts, helpful staff and comfy rooms.We never missed a/c. Fans kept us cool at night. Wish we could have spent more time at the Iguana. Gloria and Toby - you have a great thing going - keep up the good work! We will try to return someday (and we usually do not say that!)

Room Tip: Take a casita - second floor. Nice view of Gulfo Dulce. First floor casita had an outdoor shower, w...
3  Thank SandyK528
Reviewed March 3, 2013

We traveled to Costa Rica to see the wildlife and to be removed from the most visited beaches, parks, and tourist attractions and decided on the Osa Peninsula. We truly enjoyed our stay at the Iguana Lodge--from the delicious breakfast to start the day (included), to the family-style meal prepared by an extraordinary chef, to the food offered at the Pearl of the Osa Restaurant. We stayed in a Club Room, but many guests enjoyed the cabinas--both feature the sound of surf to lull you to sleep (a house is available for larger groups). Activities abound, there's a pool, yoga/spa, and the pristine beach on the Golfo Dulce is steps away. The staff is outstanding and are extremely helpful in effortlessly planning your trip and activities--the waiters and waitress at the Pearl are polite, friendly, and willing to help with your Spanish! We appreciate the atmosphere created by the owners, Lauren aka Gloria and Toby--they've done a marvelous job of making Iguana Lodge a relaxing, comfortable place to stay, while also becoming involved with the local community. Most of all, we enjoyed our mornings with Sidnar, their naturalist--he is simply amazing in his knowledge and ability to spot wildlife--ask him to do his Howler monkey call! After the first complimentary birding tour around the grounds of the lodge, we were hooked and chose hiking with Sidnar as the activities included in our package--sloths, anteater, coati, Jesus Christ lizards, caimans, three species of monkeys, myriad birds with Sidnar's goal of finding "five new, special ones each day," which he easily accomplished--thank you, Sidnar for sharing your sixth sense!

Room Tip: If you select the Club Room package, the corner room (4th room facing the ocean) is great because th...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
#4 of 5 in Cabo Matapalo
Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
#1 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Iguana Lodge? Share your experiences!