“Beautiful Experience with a Knowledgeable Guide.”
Review of Osa Green Travel

Osa Green Travel
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We went on a 2 day trip to Corcovado with our guide Steven. We flew into the park, arrived there within 15 minutes, set our stuff down, and started our hike through the jungle. He pointed out so many creatures that we would have missed if we were on our own. He showed us an array of species, and shared his knowledge with us about all of them. His passion for nature, animals and sharing them with others shines through.
He's a genuine guy, who's extremely sharing, giving and thoughtful to others.
The experience was unbelievable, and was ended with 5 star class (don't want to ruin the experience by sharing too much)
Don't think twice, just go!

1  Thank Shiri T

Reviewed March 2, 2014

Going to Corcovado park was an amazing experience. The nature and animals that I saw blew my mind. And most of all, Steven Chacon, the guide of Osa Green Travel, made my experience even more memorable. With his experience, explanations, stories and jokes, he enabled me to really enter and live the Corcovado park experience. I recommend Osa Green Travel to anyone looking for a professional service and an incredible adventure.

2  Thank MaryCR2013-14
Reviewed January 10, 2014

I had found nothing but raving reviews on Corcovado National Park, so it was on the top of my to-see list while traveling through Costa Rica. No disappointment there - especially thanks to the three-day tour I booked with Osa Green Travel. Tour guide Steven's love for nature and wildlife is rather contagious. He's especially knowledgeable; among other tour guides he seemed like the leader, the one that knew best what he was talking about. Nothing escapes his eye for detail and he's able to answer any questions that might come up. In the end, my Corcovado experience far exceeded my expectations, largely due to Steven's attemps to make the trip as memorable as possible.

Reviewed November 29, 2013 via mobile

Going out for a day trip to Corcovado park with Steven, the owner of Osa Green was an incredible experience. Steven has an almost unbelievable talent for spotting wildlife, and contagious passion for guiding those of us hoping to experience the magic of the area. Running into other guides along confirmed my gut feeling that Steven is one of the best out there! Osa Green travel was also very helpful in setting up other adventures for the week. If you're looking for advice, guidance and especially an excellent tour of the park, go with OGT.

Reviewed November 27, 2013

I arrived to Puerto Jimenez without having made a previous booking to enter the park and was looking for a trustworthy agency and a local guide with an extensive knowledge of the area.
This is exactly what I found and the tour exceeded all of my expectations.
First of all we started our trip having breakfast together at 5.30 am before departure, I was booked into a tour with another german couple and we quickly found ourselves comfortable.
Cristhian was very professional and smart, he managed to make us all feel at ease right from the very start of the trip.
We were meant to travel to Carate were the entrance of the park is located with the collective van but finally we were offered a private jeep which was much better.
The road is not paved so the driver has to be skilled as there are rivers that need to be crossed, we relaxed and enjoyed the spectacular landscape and the unique atmosphere of the jungle.
We stopped for coffee at a lovely farm called "Finca Bijagual", a traditional family bussiness where you can do horseriding along a private beach. They also have fresh cheese and serve "empanadas" and other meals. It was a really nice place I later came back to, as I fancied the horseriding. Cristhian also took us to a sightseeing point, with 3 lovely cottages built entirely of forest wood,that belonged to the farm. We were able to take some great pictures and to our surprise found a white bat hanging from the roof on the outside of one of the cottages.
As we continued our journey we did several stops to observe wildlive. We found white-faced capuchin monkeys, black eagles, scarlet macaws and a couple of tiny cute glass frogs amongst many others before even entering the park thanks to the sharp-sightedness of our guide.
We never would have spotted these without his help.
Eventually it was time to continue by feet and so we prepared ourselves for an exhausting trip. We entered the park crossing a small river and where soon at the beach, the beach is really stunning because of its unique wild appeareance. Here you will find Olive Ridley, green, and black sea turtles as these use the beaches along the Corcovado coastline for laying eggs. Nesting season runs from June through November, we did not spot any of them but we saw the nests and traces left by them.
As we ventured along it started to rain and we soon got wet from top to toe, but the experience was quite refreshing as walking under the sunshine is not so much fun, after a while you get hot.
Time passed by very quickly as we learned from Cristhian about the culture and habits of people of Costa Rica, about his own background and about wildlife and plants.
As he explained he grew up within the limits of the park and so he knows the place by heart. He told us about his experiences with jaguars, tapirs and even sharks. The more I listended to him the more I fell in love with Corcovado, as there is no place on earth alike.
It continued to rain and whenever it stopped for a while it was a good opportunity to take out our camera as animals emerged from each corner. We spotted different type of monkeys and birds, insects and much more. Cristhian told us the name of each and explained what their eating habits were, how to find them and many more interesting facts.
It was amazing to see how easily he spotted the animals that for us were invisible until he pointed out where they were. One moment he told us to wait and suddenly appeared with a poison dart frog, how he managed to find it is still a mistery to us.
Another time he showed us a small anole lizard with a brightly colored flap of skin under its throat called a dewlap. They are only 30 to 60 cm of size and very funny to watch. Cristhian was tickling him with a straw on the belly and he absolutely seemed to enjoy it as he didn't move and seemed hipnotized by the caress.
We crossed several rivers, these rivers can all be very dangerous if forded at high tide or if one is inexperienced in this kind of environment so we were very happy that we had a guide.
Cristhian also stopped to open up some coconuts (at this stage of matureness called "pipas") with his machete, so that we could drink its refreshing juice, simply delicious.
We also found many endemic plants to be quite interesting. A "ceiba" tree almost 80 m high, with roots of 10 m. hight and a diameter of 3 m. is regarded as the country's largest tree.
We arrived at the La Leona Ranger Station where we did a little rest and we soon continued a little further into the jungle. We approached a spooky place, the cementery "Madrigal", there are a few tombs and it feels like a mistic place, you will not find much information about it but our guide told us death originated mainly from diseases that could not be healed on time, being such a remote place.
After leaving this place we arrived at "Barco Hundido" In 1950 a Panama Cargo Ship ran aground here on the coast of Corcovado. The ocean has taken most of it away.
Here is where we had to stop and return back as unfortunately we had only booked the 1 day tour. On our way back we saw the beautiful titi monkeys and a sloth and as always the scarlet makaw where flying above our heads.
It was a real pity but our journey was coming to an end...
I would do this trip again anytime, actually next time I am planning to do the overnight trip sleeping at the Sirena Station, I am sure it will give me even more opportunities to spot some of the bigger animals like tapirs.
I can only thank the agency and the guide Cristhian Jimenez for this once in a lifetime experience. I recommend taking a trip with him, you will not regret it!
Ask for him at your hostel or hotel or through the local agencies.
I cannot wait to be back and experience the PURA VIDA of Corcovado again.
Thank you and keep up the good work!!!!

4  Thank Nikita77Lanz