“Sitting by the pool, taken in the view was great, but Chris really made the hotel stand out”
Review of Cabinas Jimenez

Cabinas Jimenez
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Reviewed June 29, 2010

I loved staying here for the three nights that I did. Chris was really helpful getting everyone settled in and making sure we were having a good time. We were easy to find in front of the pool with the great view, but still . . .

Rooms were clean and had everything we needed. But the reason why I took the time to log in here and write a review wasn't just to describe a great vacation spot . . . I needed a cheap place to stay in San Jose on my way home and Chris called a friend there and got me a great deal . . . that's something a real friend would do! Thanks Chris!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled on business

Reviewed June 26, 2010

We were fortunate to spend 2 weeks in Costa Rica. We spent 9 nights at Cabinas Jimenez. I was traveling with two 20 year olds, one 14 year old, and one 11 year old.
They loved the bunk beds, AC, the deck on #2 and the POOL!!! The hotel manager Chris was able to hook us up with everything we wanted to do. We rode horses on the beach, went to hike a waterfall with a very knowledgeable guide Andy, went zip lining, kayak fishing, took the tour on the hotels boat to see dolphins and to the wildlife refuge. My daughters even had someone come to paint their nails! I am sure I am forgetting something. It was an amazing vacation. We also loved that the hotel was within walking distance to town. The room was clean and the beds were great . The hotel also has wireless internet which for my 4 teenagers was... well need I say more!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed June 20, 2010

Cabinas Jimenez gets it all right. Right on the water, close to walk to everything in town, clean rooms with all you need, a friendly staff stock full of info and a wide variety of room types to suit every budget.

I stayed in room #10 which has a lovely view over the water with a large deck to lounge about on. Several times during my stay Macaws would be perched in the trees over the pool area. The info given in the book in your room is spot on; I found the lavenderia (laundry) and gave her a huge bag of clothes for a mere fee of $2. Also, the pizza place nearby the soccer field, PizzaMail.it was delish and very reasonable.

Overall a very nice stay at Cabinas Jimenez and if I am needing to stay in town again, will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed June 11, 2010

We are two adults and two girls aged 9 and 12. We needed a place to stay for a couple days of sightseeing around the Golfo Dulce before spending a few more days at Matapalo, and Cabinas Jimenez was simply perfect. I highly recommend Puerto Jimenez and Cabinas Jimenez, and could have easily spent the whole week there. We were also travelling with a single friend who had his own room. This trip was at the beginning of the "green season" (end of May). Best vacation ever.

Location: Best in town. A quiet setting right on the water, steps from the pier, and only a couple blocks to the restaurants. The water is very calm and shallow for a hundred yards out (depending on the tide), so I could watch from our cabina without concern as my daughters swam until complete darkness.

Puerto Jimenez is a nice little town for an adventurous family. It feels safe (even at night), people are friendly, delicious local food is cheap and easy to find, yet it is not the least bit touristy. Its centrally located for many different rainforest and marine activities, but its still about an hour drive to most of the best attractions of the Osa. Taxi to Matapalo costs about $35 and the Collectivo is about $4 /person (2010).

Grounds: Lush tropical gardens. Hammocks, deck chairs & tables, nice little swimming pool and deck, many wild iguanas and scarlet macaws in the trees.

Rooms: A bit smallish, but who's going to spend any time in their room in a place like the Osa? We went inside only to sleep and shower. Rooms are very clean; we saw no bugs inside. Comfortable beds. I originally booked a cheaper room to save money, but Chris upgraded us to the waterfront cabina (#2) because the previous occupant of our room wished to stay an extra day. This was awesome, and if I had known how nice the waterfront cabina was I would have gladly paid the extra $20. The deck is private, steps from the water, and has comfortable chairs and a terrific view. The #10 cabina looked really nice, too. Our friend had the cheapest room (#5?). It was pretty standard, but was clean, comfortable bed, good shower, and he used the A/C.

Services: They had a taxi waiting for us at the Puerto Jimenez airport. Chris and Juan Carlos know everything about the area, and one of them was always available to provide guidance on restaurants, tours, best fresh fish vendors, etc. They were unobtrusive and genuinely concerned with optimizing our trip.

If you're expecting someone to bring a cold drink to your hammock, you're probably not going to get it here. However, there was a refrigerator in our room for a few cold beers.

Tours: We took their La Sirena Golfo Dulce tour. For significantly less money than one of the other local tour operators, we had a day we'll never forget. Dolphins played in our bow wake, the wildlife sanctuary tour was priceless, and the coral reef snorkeling (while it wasn't Cozumel) exceeded our expectations.

Other amenities: There were four kayaks on site, which we paddled up into the mangrove forest that runs through town. I don't recommend that destination; its polluted by the local inhabitants. Chris says there are much better places to paddle close by. We did take a tour of the Rio Platanares mangrove forest with Aventuras Tropicales. This was beautiful, and I recommend it, but our guide was probably not the best they have.

They claim to have bicycles at Cabinas Jimenez, but some apparently weren't in service while we were there. We were thinking about riding bikes to Playa Platanares (3+ miles away), but walked instead. Some friendly local dogs escorted us the whole way. There we saw miles of pristine beach with not a single other person or even footrpints in the sand. Outstanding lunch at the Pearl of the Osa.

We got great free wifi reception in our room and streamed internet radio on our iphones.

Weather: We stayed during the wet season, and I highly recommend it. The weather was very pleasant. It rained at some point almost every day (mostly at night), but it was never an inconvenience and we had more sunshine than we needed. We were never very hot or cold, and didn't use air conditioning all week. The only mosquitoes were found while hiking up creeks in Matapalo. But because it is sort of the off season, there were only two other travelers on our flight to PJ, and most hotels and restaurants were deserted.

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank jillnpete
Reviewed June 2, 2010

Gotta say it, this was the best hotel I stayed in...and I was in Costa Rica for all of April. Awesome friendly staff, super helpful with whatever you need. The guy who manages the property, who is from Florida, was fantastic. Friendly, helpful, funny. He helped us find our way around the town, and even gave us a free boat ride when there were rumors of a whale shark on the gulf. When we didn't see the shark, he found us some dolphins to trail for a while.

The hotel is awesome because there is AC, free bikes, free kayaks, a pool, etc...You don't think you need the AC, but when you have it, you really appreciate it. The bikes weren't in any great shape, but they got us where we needed to go. We took them for a few hours one day to go to Planya Puntarenas...which might be the most gorgeous beach in CR. Abandoned, beautfiul sand, goes on for miles and miles. The bikes took us there, us on a trip through town, down towards the farms near the beach.

The kayaks were great, and once again, free. We took them around the bay.

The rooms were really clean, but small. We had one of the rooms that didn't have a view, and was small. I think it was the cheapest room on property $50. But our bathroom was well done, and probably the best bathroom we had on our budget trip. Was painted with a cool sea mural, and there was a nice hot water nozzle with better water pressure than anywhere in CR.

Great place. Central to town, nice people, beautfiul property.

• Stayed: April 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mikesn02
Reviewed May 28, 2010

The staff was very nice, location was a short walk from town and the Golfo Dulce was just steps from our room. Chris was a great host, arranged a boat trip on the Gulf with snorkeling and a trip to the Osa Wildlife Sanctuary. Oh yeah, we saw lots of dolphins and a couple sea turtles on the boat trip.

Puerto Jimenez is a remote town, so there aren't a lot of extra touches here. Room was air conditioned, and it had a pool which made the kids happy. Stayed here two nights after we left Corcovado. Had a deck outside our room which provided excellent view of the Gulf.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed May 21, 2010

The staff was very helpful, and knowledgeable.
Located right on the beach!
Rooms were maintained, and very clean!
Nice pool, hammocks, and gazebo area for BBQ's!
I would definitely stay here again!
You won't find a better place in Puerto Jimenez!!

• Stayed: May 2010, traveled with friends
Las Islas Lodge
Las Islas Lodge
#5 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
La Chosa del Manglar Nature Resort
La Chosa del Manglar Nature Reso...
#7 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Encanta La Vida
Encanta La Vida
#4 of 5 in Cabo Matapalo
Crocodile Bay Resort - An All-Inclusive Resort
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula

Been to Cabinas Jimenez? Share your experiences!