“Best value for active travelers”
Review of Cabinas Jimenez

Cabinas Jimenez
Ranked #2 of 12 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Reviewed May 7, 2013

John and Leah are great hosts. They have different rooms for different budgets, so it's easy to find a spot that fits. The rooms are quiet, clean, and air-conditioned. Also, they include the use of 6 kayaks and about 10 different bikes for free, first-come, first-serve. Beautiful location right on the bay, easy walk to the downtown area or to the waterfront for fresh ceviche. Also they offer a variety of reasonably-priced tours right out of their lobby. My favorite was the boat tour in search of dolphins, where not only did we spend 45 minutes with a pod of about 12 dolphins surfacing all around us, but also snorkeled, did the plane board behind the boat (you've got to try it! Unbelievable!) and saw capuchin monkeys in a tree near water's edge. Add to that the fact that they're always trying to help out in any way, and you've got one of the best lodgings in Puerto Jimenez.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed May 7, 2013

I'm sitting on our waterfront patio and just had to write a revieww... immediately. This is really a wonderful place. I have stayed here a couple of times, both alone and as a couple, and would recommend it to anyone. Comfortable cute rooms, refreshing pool, beach bikes to explore the area, smiling staff, fast free internet.. John the owner has a really neat boat trip that is next on my list. Ready to come back.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 24, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here before we did the Carate to La Sirena tour and then for four days after. we needed somewhere to relax at the end of our busy 3 week trip and this was just perfect. the rooms were immaculately clean and the plants and shrubs were well maintained. All of the staff were very friendly and helpful and helped create a nice ambience. im really glad that we were able to stay here for as long as we did it was a lovely place to unwind and the use of bikes and kayaks for free is an added bonus as is the pool.

• Stayed: April 2013
Reviewed April 22, 2013

I can't say enough how much we enjoyed our stay at Cabinas Jimenez. We stayed in the lower Rancho for one week (April 06-13th) which I really recommend. The private deck with views of the Golfo Dulce took our breath away. Every morning I watched the sunrise as I drank my coffee and listened to Macaws and other fabulous birds greet the new day. Sometimes I would open the door to the deck first thing in the morning and lay in bed just so I could listen to the waves. It was paradise.The The hotel staff was very helpful to us even before we arrived and helped to answer all our questions! Thank you so much to Leah, Maxine, Juan Carlos, Tom and all the other staff who made us feel so welcome. The staff at Cabinas Jimenez are top notch!!! I'd also like to extend a special thank you to John who took us out on his boat for a tour of the Golfo Dulce and the Animal Sanctuary. He was very informative and really tried to make the tour enjoyable for everyone. At first we didn't think we would see any dolphins but John didn't stop looking till we did. We really appreciated that. If you stay at Cabinas Jimenez for more then a night then you should definitely not pass up that opportunity. It was well worth it for the price we paid.
I would definitely recommend this hotel to someone looking for a clean, peaceful retreat. The gardens are immaculate, lush vegetation and beautiful palm trees everywhere. My daughter practically lived in the pool which we used every day. We are so thankful to have stayed there. The wonderful memories we have of Cabinas Jimenez will stay with us forever. We hope to return again one day!

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
cabinasjimenez, Owner at Cabinas Jimenez, responded to this reviewResponded April 24, 2013

Thank you Julie for your wonderful Trip Advisor reveiw of Cabinas Jimenez.. It was my pleasure to take your family out in my boat., seeing the Pan Tropical Dolphins and using the " Dolphin Swimming Boards " . I am also happy that your daughter enjoyed the pool,bikes and Kayaks. I hope to see you and your family again, in the Osa Peninsula. John owner of Cabinas Jimenez

Reviewed April 22, 2013

Affordable, and the a/c was a huge relief. We loved the location as we walked to town for all of our meals. Also, loved that we could use kayaks and bikes...which we used each day we were there. Conveniently located on gulf. We stayed in Rancho, on the second level....plenty of space and liked the upper deck.

Room Tip: Rancho rooms have great views, loved ours located on the top!
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Thank you for your Trip Advisor review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Cabinas Jimenez. And that you made, good use of the Bikes and the Kayaks. Hope to see you again, John owner of Cabinas Jimenez

Reviewed April 19, 2013

We really enjoyed this little hotel. We stayed in room #10. Clean and quiet. We could hear the disco beat from across the water on the weekend, but not that bad. The staff was friendly. Room had a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. We did the boat tour. Saw dolphins.

Room Tip: Spend the extra money and book a room near the pool.
Reviewed April 19, 2013

This really is an awesome hotel stay! The most adorable little Costa Rican cabin, definitely recommend room number #1, it is like 5 dollars more than the other rooms but once you see why you will never regret it. A private deck right on the water and away from all the other rooms so you have privacy and quiet. Everyone at the hotel is super accommodating and helpful with questions and activities. Tom Kayak was an amazing rain forest guide, if you want to have a one of a kind experience go with him, he has access to more trails than you would ever by yourself or with other guides, and he sees plants, animals and insects that you would pass right by never seeing if he didn't point them out. And he guarantees 3 types of monkeys on his tour, but you usually do see all 4, I know we did. We must've seen hundreds of monkeys, and since he knew how to deal with the monkeys, they even followed us a little, and they came as close as I'd say 10 feet away from us. Truly amazing. Then he took us up a riverbed and we got to swim in a waterfall and pool. If that doesn't say ultimate Costa Rican experience I do not know what does. Even if you do not use him as a guide, the knowledge and information he has on the town and the different things to do, you must at least speak to him. He led us to a beach that we would've never ever ever found (and by the looks of it noone else did either because we were the only ones on it) and it was the most beautiful beach I have ever been on. Puerto Jimenez is a cute town full of adventure and things to do, and there wasn't a hotel I passed that I would've rather stayed at than Cabinas Jimenez, and like I said Cabin #1 is the one to rent if you can, It's nice knowing you have the best room and view in the whole town. Next time we are in the Osa we definitely will be staying here.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Jimenez
Lapa Rios Ecolodge Osa Peninsula
Luna Lodge
Luna Lodge
#1 of 1 in Carate

Been to Cabinas Jimenez? Share your experiences!