All reviews snapper eco tour monkey tour fishing director fishing trip zip lining san jose great fishing blue marlin sashimi world class fishing caught tuna costa rica captain anthony double tree catch and release chocolate farm
Selected filters
Reviewed May 7, 2019 via mobile

Thanks Crocodile Bay for a great 30 th
Wedding anniversary trip.
Caught 6 new species of fish. Including a 110 lbs pacific sail, 2 dorado over 60 lbs
And some nice rooster fish.
Olympia and staff went way beyond my expectations for the surprise private lunch
On a private beech for my wife. The rooms and food is great. You won’t find harder working resort staff,eco tour guides and captains anywhere. We will definitely be back. Thanks Crocodile Bay.

Date of stay: April 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 30, 2019

I'm a serious amateur Wildlife photographer. My non-photographer wife and I are just back from a 6 day stay at this wonderful all-inclusive resort. We had arranged in advance with the resort booking agent Lisa Andresen for daily PhotoSafari supervised or led by the Resort Tour Director Dennis Atentio. The Osa Peninsula is a wildlife photographers Paradise and Dennis is the perfect wildlife photographer's guide. First off, he has a deep understanding of the diverse Biology of the Osa Peninsula. He also has an intimate knowledge of where to find its many unique and interesting birds ands animals. Equally important once you've found the critter he will skillfully get you into position to nail the shot all the while offering helpful tips on exposure settings, f-stops and animal behavior. We spent several half days on our own on the 44 acre resort site seeking out and photographing resident and transient Macaws, monkeys, hummingbirds, woodpeckers, Toucans and yes crocodiles.
The resort itself is a friendly and comfortable family run enterprise. The staff were all pleasant and cheerful and helpful. The food was plentiful, varied and tasty. And if you like fish...as a fishing resort there's always the catch of the day. The rooms are spacious, airy and most importantly air conditioned in a climate that's often hot and humid.

1  Thank WorldTravelerAlbert
Reviewed April 24, 2019

Just returned from a wonderful week. Food and accommodation is first class. We were fishing for the week and Guides were terrific , friendly and helpful. Others said their Eco Tours were great fun. Everyone was smiling and friendly and most helpful with my mobility issues. We were greeted by Olympia who was just a delight. Hope to return next year. Highly recommend this beautiful place.

Reviewed April 19, 2019

My wife and I celebrated our 25th anniversary at Crocodile Bay Resort.
This was our third trip back and we didn't think it could get any better.The staff catered to our every need. The fishing was awesome! I caught two blue Marlin and a sailfish. My wife caught two Roosterfish, three snappers and an assortment of other species. Capt. German and mate Charlie really put is on the fish. This resort is not just for fishing. They have all kinds of eco tours. Our favorite was the wildlife sanctuary tour. Sweetie the Spider monkey comes down to the beach and greets you as you arrive. Traveling to another country can be intimidating but the staff and people who pick you up when you arrive hold your hand the whole way. The accommodations in San Jose are 1st class. The rooms and the grounds at the resort are clean and the meals are incredible. Wether you fish or not we highly recommend CBR for your next adventure. Thanks Lisa at Lynch Creek Travel for an awesome trip. Pura Vida!!! Steve and Alice

Room tip: This trip was all inclusive except for the tours
  • Trip type: Traveled with family
Reviewed March 20, 2019

Fishing
• Fishing was phenomenal! Each of us got at least one sailfish and on my extra days caught tuna (largest 60#’s), roosterfish (largest 70#’s), and multiple sails. My wife joined me on the last day, as she still had not caught a sailfish. On that day, we actually landed two sets of double hookups (raised 13 fish, caught 6). Alan was very concerned as we pulled into the pier because Ann and I looked so defeated – this was the last day for my wife Ann to catch her first sailfish and that was the only mission for the day. Then he saw the captain smile and looked at his log sheet. All Alan could do was shake his head in disbelief. What he really saw was Ann and I simply exhausted from such a great day on the water. Mission accomplished!
• Water was calm and travel distance was about 35 miles out from the peer. Took consistently 90 minutes out and then back so about 5 ½ hours of fishing for offshore days.
• Captains and mates were excellent, took the time to let us photograph lots of sea wildlife (spinner dolphins, white belly dolphins, humpback whales, pilot whales, sails just out jumping for fun). The captains also let me do a lot of the actual set up and fishing (especially the finesse part about getting hooked up – they did not baby me by just handing me a rod with a fish on). On the flip side, they worked their butts off and took no chances getting Ann, Tim, and Kristen hooked up with their first sails ever.
• The roosterfish was pretty special. No one was catching them so everyone was going offshore. Alan asked guide Anthony to take me out and prove them all wrong. We did just that by hooking 11 roosters and landing 9, with the biggest being a 70#’s beast. It was a long and wonderful fight. Anthony has been fishing them for 22 years and this was the largest one he has ever landed in one of his boats. I haven’t seen a guide that excited over a fish in a very long time. I will certainly treasure the experience.
• Alan did a great job coordinating boats – I always felt well treated and had everything I could have needed. Some people like the same guide all week but I enjoyed fishing with four different ones. Kids were a bit impatient with the long ride out and back but since they caught fish, all was forgiven.
• Alan did not recommend the kayak fishing so I upgraded to a whaler for the last day – good call as that was the six sail day (thank you Alan)!

Eco Tours
• This is the area they could do a better job of communication. The problem is really how the reservations are made. They advertise that you sign up when you get there but we found that most were difficult to actually schedule due to availability once we did get there. We had interest in a bunch of them but were only able to schedule three while we were there.
• A couple of tours were very good (rainforest and animal rescue by far the best), turtle rescue not so much (too many people, not enough turtles!). We had the same tour coordinator for the week and he was almost part of the family by the time it was time to leave – their personal attention is incredible and we learned so much about Costa Rica!
• We recommend taking the tours!

Food and Staff
• They are the very best!
• Food – I found it hard to believe the variety and quality of food from just one kitchen. Everything from nightly fresh tuna sushi on days where we caught tuna, to excellent fish, meat, and pasta options. My wife is an extremely picky eater and still had something different every night that she could rave about. I ate fish every night and it was awesome. In the morning, the eggs benedict each day was the best I have ever had. Lunch on the boat was very good. My family says lunch in the lodge was excellent as well.
• Wait staff couldn’t have been better!.
• Olympia (main hostess for the resort) was one of the sweetest ladies I have ever met. She was also an incredible “fixer” when things had to be coordinated. I really enjoyed fishing with her son Anthony (all the other guides were great as well!)
• Room staff was accommodating and the rooms were meticulously maintained daily.
• Bar staff had great local concoctions that my wife and kids loved each evening.
• Schedule was perfect for a fisherman. Up for breakfast at 5:30AM, on the boat at 6:30AM, back at the dock at 3:00PM (sharp), quick shower then pool time for cocktails and appetizers (and story telling!) from 4:00-6:00PM, followed by a very nice dinner, then time for bed. The staff rigorously floated around this schedule such there was always enough resources at the right place and time.
• Alan maintaining a “leaderboard” that showed what success each boat had was a great way to start up conversations with other guests. This was a fun place to gather in the bar at the end of the day.
• We really felt like family by the end of the week!

Accommodations and Resort
• Very, very good. Our villa was perfect for a family. Staff kept everything clean and well stocked.
• Pool area was perfect. We played many of the games in the game room as well.
• Grounds were great to walk around with lots of wildlife to see and photograph.
• My family enjoyed the spa services.
• Pier and docks were well laid out and a fun place to be.
• Boats and gear were absolutely first class – the results showed it!

Overall
• They certainly get 5-stars from my family and me!
• Lynch Creek Travel (Lisa) as well!

Room tip: All rooms are well located in the rainforest, close to the fishing pier
Date of stay: March 2019