“Incredible Destination”

Crocodile Bay Resort - An All-Inclusive Resort
Ranked #4 of 12 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Reviewed April 12, 2010

I visited Crocodile bay for the first time (certainly not my last) for 4 days in February. From the reservation phone call to the return trip from PJ to San Jose the trip was first class. It all begins with the staff. From their drivers to the hotel staff everyone is extremely personable, exceptionally helpful and entirely professional.

I arrived in San Jose on Tuesday afternoon and was promptly met by my driver who whisked me to a downtown San Jose hotel for the evening. I was scheduled on a 6AM flight to PJ the next day. The driver gave me excellent advice for my 1 night stay in SJ and helped make this evening a pleasure. He met me promptly the next morning and got me to the airport for my flight to PJ. I was greeted in SJ and taken to the front desk to meet the dynamic irrepressible Olympia who did her best during the entire week to make my stay a pleasure. Todd, the fishing director for CB was leaving town on a business trip but took the time to have breakfast with me and see me to the dock to introduce me to my captain and mate for the 3 days of fishing I had booked.

The fishing...wow. The captain and mate worked exceptionally hard and put in long days to insure that I was into fish and enjoying myself for the entire day. They succeeded. The boats and tackle were exceptional. We spent the first day inshore catching rooster fish and snapper until my arms felt like they were going to fall off. The next two days we spent offshore and were into sailfish and mahi all day long. We raised at least 6-8 sailfish each of the days I fished, and got a fair number to the boat. The mate was really knowledgable and spent quite a bit of time showing me offshore terminal tackle techniques that I will surely get to use this summer tuna fishing in my boat off the northeast US coast. On the third day after having caught my fill of sailfish I decided to spend the day looking for Marlin. The mate went out that night on his own time and bought ballyhoo with his own money (he would not let me reimburse him so I just added it to his tip). Unfortunately we did not raise a marlin (neither did any of the other boats) but it was not for lack of trying. All in all a great fishing experience and one I will never forget.

Evenings were spent at the beautiful CB lodge. The bar after a hard days fishing is a great place to relax and swap fish stories. Everyone there is enjoying themselves and it makes for a very nice, friendly entertaining environment even if you are travelling solo as I was. The food was great as we had freshly caught tuna sushi every night with freshly caught grilled mahi. The salads and fruit and various starches (potatoes, rice, beans, etc) were all freshly and professionally prepared.

I know that the CB staff reads these reviews and want to personally thank them for a really great vacation. I am not being facetious, I actually wondered while I was there if they did not mistake me for a celebrity or writer/reviewer for a fishing or sporting magazine. I could not believe that they treated all of their guests as they treated me during my all too short stay at CB. I will be returning next year with a group to share this great destination.

I almost forgot the mention the spa. I am not a big spa guy - I'd rather be relaxing by the pool having a beer smoking a cigar with my free time- but I did book a Swedish massage at the CB spa. It was a really great experience, the masseuse was very thorough and professional. My 45 minute massage stretched over an hour and I felt ready to go back at the sailfish after a long strenous day on the boat. Do yourself a favor while there and book a massage. Do it early in your stay because I guarantee you will want to book another before you leave.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled solo

Reviewed March 21, 2010

My husband and I stayed at Crocodile Bay Feb. 5-12, 2010. We had a late arrival/departure flight so we had to stay over in San Jose before going to CB. CB took care of all the San Jose hotel and transport arrangements so we had nothing to worry about. The hotel in San Jose was beautiful. We were sorry we couldn't stay there longer. CB resort was fabulous. As soon as we arrived, we saw two red macaws flying over our room.....where else can you see that on your vacation!!!! The resort was small and quaint. The staff at CB were amazing. Since it is such a small resort, you really get to know all the people working there and they are very friendly and accommodating. So much better than those large resorts where you are just another face in the crowd. The rooms were nice and well kept. We wished the rooms had a TV and refrigerator/mini bar, but it wasn't that big of deal. The resort was beautiful, but if you are a vacationer that is looking for opulence, this is not the resort for you. It is a fishing/adventure resort and that is what you get. It's beautiful, but not over the top. The pool and spa areas were well kept, and the service was great. The pool was very private, not a lot of people. The food was also amazing whether you ate at the resort or you had a packed lunch while fishing or on an ecotour. The ecotours were wonderful! The tour guides were friendly, well trained, and very accommodating. The day we went fishing it happened to be windy and the waters were somewhat rough (usually the waters are very calm). I got sea sick and we ended up coming in early because I felt so terrible. The director of fishing approached us and offered to set up another day of fishing for us without charge. He said he didn't want us to miss out on having an enjoyable fishing experience. We went out again (I took meds to prevent sea sickness......a must for anyone going out on the water) and had the best day ever. The captain and mate were great and my husband had a day of fishing he'll never forget! It definitely made the trip for us. CB was a fabulous resort and we would definitely go back there. It really is for those people looking for a great fishing experience or some Costa Rica adventure. Two thumbs up from us!!

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank ndcherman
Reviewed February 11, 2010

We arrived in late January & returned home in February from another stellar vacation experience at Crocodile Bay. We've traveled in many countries, but CB continues to rank in the top 2% for beautiful, genuine hospitality & professional, non-pretentious service.

The PEOPLE are reason enough to return to Crocodile Bay, but when you add the abundance of Osa wildlife (just walking around the lodge grounds is amazing); a wide variety of knowledgeable & fun eco-tours; a luxurious, modern spa (and I'm not normally a spa girl); and the absolutely out of this world fishing opportunities, it's crazy to even consider going elsewhere.

This year, despite effects of El Nino, the catch included a huge tuna, multiple sailfish & dorado, a couple huge roosterfish, jack cravelles and other inshore species.

Outside of the "catching experience" of being on the water in their fleet of immaculate, well-maintained Boston Whalers, our forways into the gulf & ocean included numerous dolphin escorts, flying fish, leaping rays, sea turtles, an orca whale giving birth (we kept our distance), and a humpback whale coming to the surface only 50 meters away from the boat... going out to fish with their experienced captains is an ecotour in itself!

Cool, airconditioned rooms are impeccable; the pool & swim up bar was enjoyed by all, and the view of scarlet macaws and squirrel monkeys from laid back leather rocking chairs on our shady covered porch was most enjoyable.

Crocodile Bay continues to "rock" ... we'll be back.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 8, 2010

Wow...where to start! My brother and I both traveled to Crocodile Bay Lodge for a fishing trip to celebrate his 40th birthday. I'm a relatively experienced traveler, with frequent trips to the DR (Punta Cana), Mexico (Manzanillo and Playa del Carman), Bahamas, Turks, Barbados, Jamaica and Nevis. I'll tell you that Costa Rica beats all of them as a destination, and Crocodile Bay Lodge was an exceptional place to stay while visiting this beautiful country. The lodge itself is adequately staffed, with an appropriate level of amenities. It is not a 5 star resort by any means, but we were very comfortable with plenty to do. The meals were all excellent, particularly the fresh fish each night. You can walk to Puerto Jimenez for some local flavor (beach-front bars and restaurants, great gift shops, etc...). The number and diversity of tours available were incredible! On our off-fishing day, we elected to visit a local plantation and fish farm. Recieved the tour directly from the farmer which added to the experience (my brother speaks pretty good spanish, which helped immensely).

The fishing was moderately good while we were there. The offshore scene was slow, but inshore made up for it. The roosterfish and jacks are excellent fighters on 20 lb tackle, and we caught more than our share. We even fished from their pier a few evenings when we got in, and caught jacks right from the surf (on kastmasters and white poppers). We each brought a 17 lb travel spinning outfit with us for the surf, which proved to be a bit light. Those jacks nearly spooled us twice, and these were the 10 pounders! If we had caught a 20 pound jack or rooster from the dock, we surely would have lost them. The boats, mates and tackle are all top notch, and you won't be disappointed. Shade is limited on the smaller Boston Whalers, which makes you apply (and re-apply) sunscreen all day. You'll enjoy catching your own live bait in the AM before heading to the fishing grounds. Light spinning outfits with 8 gold hooks and a small weight. We were catching 3-7 sardines and goggle-eyes at a time, with an occasional blue runner too. Twice, while landing the bait we had a bonito take the rig. We landed them on the small hooks...incredible fight on a light outfit (bonito are everywhere!).

Fishing is organized by Todd Staley who we had the privelidge of speaking to each day. He's one of a kind and we really appreciated his debriefing of all of the fishermen each day. The "board" was a nice touch at the lodge, listing the boats/anglers/catch from each day. Of course, it's located in the bar where you can have a cold Imperial beer while checking out the day's results. I loved the bar....and the barmaids even more. We were fortunate to be on a first-name basis with most of the staff by the end of the week.

The front desk is run by our good friend Olympia, who we came to adore during our short time there. If only we could all be so cheerful on a daily basis. She is one of the many problem solvers at the lodge, and is there to help with nearly anything related to the lodge (beyond the fishing department).

Our guide for our non-fishing day was Dennis; one of the three people conducting the travel and tours. Very educated and helpful with all of the natural resources of the area. We really enjoyed having him along on our tour of the plantation, as he is very knowledgeable on soils, plants, botany, etc.... Thanks again Dennis!!

Finally, there's the other guests in the hotel. I guess since we're fishermen, we get along with other fish-crazy people. But, I think it goes beyond that. We met a class of ladies and gentlemen that were truly a joy to speak to. My brother and I are not shy, and go out of our way to talk to others. Everyone was friendly and talkative.

If you're not going to fish, and just want a beach experience, do not go to Crocodile Bay. While you can definitely find beaches in the area, this lodge is a better base for fishing and eco-tours. Since it's directly adjacent to the Town and the airport, it's a great jumping-off point for areas on the Osa Peninsula. The grounds are very quiet (if you dont mind the racket the birds make each morning) and safe. In fact, walking by yourself through the town at any time of day is quite safe; something I would not say for Jamaica or the Bahamas.

Thanks a lot Crocodile Bay for a wonderful vacation. We hope to be back.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled with friends
1  Thank Damfarm
Reviewed February 6, 2010

We stayed here for a week as part of the celebration of my husbands' 50th birthday. He went there to fish, I went there to explore & relax but ended up fishing one day which was one of the most exhilarating experiences I have ever had. The bird & animal life in & around the lodge is abundant so you don't even need to go on an Eco-tour to find it. Their spa is wonderful too & the quality & quantity of the food excellent. We would have liked a bit more variety in the evening buffet but you could not fault the quality or the service. The picnic lunches are amongst the best I have seen. Even on a half-day tour you are provided with a variety of cold drinks fresh fruit & snacks.
It's a very laid back atmosphere so dressing up is not necessary. In fact you can survive with very little clothes as they have an excellent laundry srvice.
We were up most mornings by 5.00am so in bed by 8-8.30pm. You can go out to the nearby town in the evening but we were happy to relax in the bar or sit on our veranda listening to the wildlife.The bedrooms are lodge style (4 in a group) with the best ones being the upper ones. There were simply furnished but very comfortable.
The staff were lovely - very welcoming & friendly. Excellent service throughout.

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank DeniaIrishColleen
Reviewed February 2, 2010

The Crocodile Bay is truly paradise. The birding was the best and the fishing was stellar. Relaxation at the Spa and at the resort itself is easy. On our first day we caught 8 Rooster Fish and a large Jack. Our Captain Mauricio, was great, he helped us as much as we needed and encouraged us to bring them in and instructed us when necessary. The second day my spouse went fishing while I spent the day at the spa and birding around the resort grounds. A guide was available to help me to identify plants and to show me where the Cayman was napping. Each staff member was friendly, and went out of their way to make our trip special. Everyone addressed us by name and we felt as though we were old friends.
We will be making this a repeat destination for sure.

I would highly recommend the SPA to everyone. It is world class. I’ve traveled to many spas, and have had regular massages for over 20 years - this by far was the best experience I’ve ever had. The spa was beautiful, comforting, peaceful and truly rejuvenating. The therapists/estheticians were extremely professional, friendly, and knowledgeable. True talent in their hands! I hated to leave!

The food was incredible, plentiful, delicious and fresh. The wait staff was pleasant and nurturing. The wine flowed freely and we left the dining area fully satisfied and always pleased.

Dennis our bird guide was the icing on the already delicious cake. He knew the birds well, and knew the areas to go birding even better. He was fun, humorous and smart. We appreciated his easy go with the flow attitude. We especially appreciated how hard he worked to find birds for us, and when we found a great cluster of birds, he extended our tour time for several hours to accommodate our insatiable appetite for seeing even more birds and even changed our massage appointments for that evening since we were going to be late.

If you are tired of the typical bird tours, this is the answer to your doldrums. Tropical birding at its best!! Something for everyone - relax, bird, fish, swim in the pool, get a massage or play a game in the indoor gaming area. This resort has everything and is kid friendly too!

• Stayed: January 2010, traveled with friends
Reviewed January 18, 2010

We had a fantastic time at Crocodile Bay. This has been one of the best vacations we have taken. The service and hospitality was beyond expected. Their dedicated staff and the service they provide is unreal. They show a true passion for the work that they do. Always making sure you are having a great time. If you like fish – you will love fish here because it is so fresh. We recommend the ceviche and the breaded fish filets and the Pina Coladas!! yum. Just imagine waking up each morning to sounds of toucans, macaws, monkeys and how about an iguana sun bathing by your balcony.

There were 11 of us on this trip, not one of us was left out. There is an eco tour for everyone. We enjoyed the zip line canopy, monkey tour, kayaking, and chocolate farm. For those of you who are fishing fanatics, fishing out in the open sea was amazing. One important tip – takes lost of sunscreen. The weather is hot and it’s humid. You will go through a lot of it. Also, make sure you take appropriate clothing not only for the warm weather but also for the eco tours you plan on taking as well as good hiking shoes. Then after a long day, you might want to consider a nice chocolate wrap massage at their wonderful spa. We left Crocodile Bay with great unforgettable experiences and new friends. Thanks again Crocodile Bay!!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled with family
#1 of 1 in Carate
Las Islas Lodge
Las Islas Lodge
#6 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Crocodile Bay Resort - An All-Inclusive Resort? Share your experiences!