“Beautiful Place and Great Base for Corcovado”
Review of Cabinas Tropicales

Cabinas Tropicales
Ranked #3 of 13 Puerto Jimenez B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 3, 2014

Where do I start? Mark is a fantastic and genuine character. Within 15 minutes of arriving at Cabinas Tropicales, Mark had begun giving us our options on ways to do explore Corcovado National Park. He organized everything for us, from our flights in, our guide for the 2 days, our sleeping arrangements, and transport back. If you haven't planned your visit to Corcavado, Mark is the person to speak to. The lodging was the most beautiful of our 3 month trip. The rooms were spotless accompanied by outside showers (in the moonlight). The communal outdoor kitchen is massive, and faces his beautiful garden which attracts all birds from Hummingbirds to Tucans. It's a short walk to restaurants and shops in the main town. He has great wi fi in the communal area and rooms closest to the kitchen. All in all, this was a fantastic stay, and would recommend it to everyone. I have nothing bad to say about Cabinas Tropicales.

Room Tip: The room across the kitchen, tucked in the corner has it's own outside private shower and privat...
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Shiri T

Reviewed March 29, 2014

We highly recommend staying here-especially before (and after) doing the hike to corcovado. Mark, the owner , is very helpful with everything - from organising things to storing your luggage while you are on the hike. But even if you dont to the hike it is a great and relaxed place to stay.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Nickless
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I was so enraptured with Cabinas Tropicales that I stayed much longer than I had planned. I loved sitting in the open-air rancho every morning, coffee cup in hand, watching the birds flying in to feed from the special tables set out front in the shade of the lush tropical garden. Hummingbirds flit around the glorious blooms of the lobster claw heliconias. I even had a hummingbird nest just one metre from my door, in the bougainvillea bushes that cover the fence in a tangled profusion of hot pink and coral blossoms. The owner, Mark, was extremely helpful in organising my trip into Corcodova. He suggested that I fly in and walk out, which was a fabulous option, given the gruelling long and humid trek along the hot sands carrying a small pack....for someone my age, and although I am relatively fit and used to hot weather, one way was quite enough!
The rooms are very clean, the mattresses are extremely comfortable, and the air-conditioning works a treat. Upon my return from Corcodova, I even had the room with the outdoor shower, which, in the tropics, is a real treat!
Cabinas Tropicales is just a short walk from the airport, and a short walk from the gulf, where i could indulge in some long distance swims.There are also a couple of bikes available to ride into the town centre...just three minutes away. So, all in all, just a perfect spot for me. I can't say enough about my stay..it was brilliant from start to finish. Thank you Mark for making my stay so wonderful. You really have created a little piece of heaven.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank yvette511
Reviewed February 23, 2014

We can highly recommend the Cabinas Tropicales.
The place is really beautiful, as you can already read in the other comments.
Most valuable to us were the tips Mark gave us. He really knows Puerto Jimenez and
his advice in getting a guide (Nito, best guide you can get) for Corcovado was perfect.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed February 13, 2014

I stayed at Cabinas Tropicales with my family for 5 nights around New Year. We booked three spacious rooms . Mark , the owner is very friendly and very knowledgeable about the area. . He takes good care of his guests . He made all the arrangements for several trips ,from renting kayaks to organizing a three day trip to Corcovado. He always knew who could provide the best service for what we wanted to do. One of the things we enjoyed most was meeting the other guests around the outdoor kitchen. Mark really made our first trip to Costa Rica a success.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 31, 2014

My hubby and I spent a month in CR, Marks place was near the end of our holiday. During our vacation we experienced several types off accomadations and by far Marks was our favorite( over a 5 star lodge). Mark is a warm and kind person, making you feel right at home. The layout is a cozy tropical garden, with a inviting open kitchen and hangout spot. The rooms are quaint and cozy, best sleeps we had ! Everything is close by to explore. The value does not reflect the quality, for a really costa rician feel and a kind and caring host this place is a 10 star. Thanks mark!!!

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed January 16, 2014

Cabinas tropicales is a wonderful place to stay in Puerto Jimenez : nice prices for all the confort you need! Mark was like a friend, helping us for whatever we needed, guiding us for what we wanted to do, at any time (and lending us bikes !). We were feeling like being at home and really enjoyed the place!!!

Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
#4 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Playa Cativo Lodge
Playa Cativo Lodge
#1 of 12 in Golfito

Been to Cabinas Tropicales? Share your experiences!