“No better experience!!”

Cabinas Tropicales
Ranked #2 of 13 Puerto Jimenez B&B and Inns
“No better experience!!”
Reviewed July 6, 2012

I hesitate to write this because I will return and hope there will be a room. I have travelled all around Costa Rica and stayed in many places. Mark is the most excellent host you can imagine and his place is perfect. Very clean and comfortable with a welcoming kitchen and hangout spot. I liked that it is out of the way. We planned on staying for two days and ended up there for eight. This is an outstanding place and you can book the finest guides, tours and Mark can take you billfishimh. Go to Puerto Jimenez and stay here, I just hope there will be room next time!

• Stayed July 2012

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
N CA
Reviewed July 5, 2012

Very comfortable rooms, good kitchen and garden, excellent and knowledgeable host!

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Giv'atayim, Israel
Reviewed June 6, 2012

i spent there 4 nights during last may. The staff is fantastic, the rooms are clean and tidy with A/C. the staff will help you with any arrangements you require and will do it with a smile.
recommended!

• Stayed April 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank Tsahi B
California
Reviewed June 2, 2012

We met a girl on the bus to Puerto Jimenez that had been working and staying in town for the past few months and she asked us if we had secured a place to stay yet, and since we hadn't she recommended Cabinas Tropicales to us. Sooooo glad she did!! Most of the hostels and small hotels in town looked pretty divey, but this little gem was awesome!! Great landscaping, clean and spacious rooms with killer a/c, and an open air communal kitchen with everything needed to prepare meals...even a killed blender for fresh fruit smoothies which we prepared daily!! The owner, Mark, was so nice and helpful with suggestions about activities around the town, and he even let us use his own personal bicycle to pedal into town a couple times! The location is awesome...just a 5 or 6 minute walk to the main street for groceries, the same to the beach, boat harbor, and a couple good restaurants, and only a 2 minute walk to the best fried chicken in Costa Rica at Opi Opi! Golfo Dulce is a great spot to waste time relaxing on the beach and swimming, and Corocovado National Park is just a collectivo ride away. We actually ended up staying in Puerto Jimemez a few extra days because we loved Cabinas Tropicales so much. Not really a place to party, but if you want a quiet, chill place to lounge in a hammock, have a couple drinks, and make the best pineapple/mango/banana fruit smoothies ever, this is your kinda place.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Whitehorse, Canada
Reviewed May 21, 2012

I just spent the better part of January-to the end of April in Puerto Jimenez and Cabinas Tropicales...I head down to PJ every year for a few months of mostly fishing, hanging out with friends, and a well needed vacation! I have stayed in a few different cabinas in PJ and this has been the best fit for me so far bar none! the rooms are very clean, safe, I definately loved the open kithchen, and just the overall atmosphere..whether you want to mingle with the other visitors and or Mark Corn the owner, learn some helpful info re: the corcovado, or fishing around costa rica, even a good restaurant for that nights meal, or just have a quiet night in the air-conditioned room and comfy bed..I would 100% recommend cabinas tropicales for your entire trip to PJ...I just hope there is room for me next year in what I would like to now call MY ROOM, haha!!!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Longwood, Florida, United States
Reviewed May 18, 2012

We stayed at Cabinas Tropicales in July 2011 and loved it! Located in the heart of town you are only a short walk away from experiencing authentic Costa Rican shops, restaurants and fun! Mark coordinated all of our excursions from zip lining to fishing and snorkeling! If you want to experience the real Costa Rica then this is your place. Down to earth, clean, and centrally located. A great find for the price!!

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Salt Lake City, Utah
Reviewed May 10, 2012

Staying here was the best choice I made when traveling to Puerto Jiménez. I don't want to sound melodramatic, because I am not, and neither is this place. It is comfortable, and laid back. I am not a wimp, but I did enjoy having a little AC to sleep my first night in Costa Rica. If you are a roughing it kind of person, leave it off. The location is close to the little town of Puerto Jimenez, and close to the airport. If you fly into the airport, this location is just a couple of blocks away. Easy to walk (unless you wear 4" heals). Once you arrive, the owner Mark, made me fell at ease, like a welcomed guest (almost like staying with family, but better, if you know what I mean). Let me mention one more thing, I brought along a lot of gear (camera, four lenses, dive computer, dive equipment, lots of cash, binoculars...etc). I felt safe, and I felt like my stuff was safe here. Nothing like a little barbed wire, and a constant presence of people you recognize to keep you assured. Now, I did not feel like a prisoner, nor like I feared the locals, but a little security, in a low tech manner, goes a long way. One last thing, there were a couple of people that worked for the owner that were very helpful. Janina arranged a hair raising Mangrove kayake tour for us. The Tour leader cought a Mackeral, and gave it to us at the end of the tour. I probably should not say this, but I took it back to Cabinas, and Mark was generous enough to cook it to perfection; everyone staying there shard it with us, and they also offered to share their food with us. It was really nice, and comforting. I would recommend this place to anyone I personally know.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
#4 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Cabinas Tropicales? Share your experiences!