“Nito is GREAT!!”
Review of Surcos Tours

Surcos Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Hello dear friends, thanks for reading our reviews written by tourists and now our friends who have booked tours with us. Surcos Tours is a tour operator specialized in hiking Corcovado National Park and the Osa Peninsula. Our main goal is to make the stay of tourists in the park an unforgettable experience. Thanks for supporting local businesses. PURA VIDA Nito and Estela
Reviewed April 24, 2012

For anyone traveling to the Osa Peninsula, I highly recommend Nito.

He speaks good English and he will find things that you would normally miss. He brings along a special telescope/binoculars and he will help take pics of stuff he finds.

Make sure you contact Nito early as he books quickly.

The highlight of the trip was when we were driving back, we had a full grown puma run across the road.

Don't forget to bring water, food and sunscreen!!

Thanks Nito,
Jon and Anna

1  Thank jonpfl

Reviewed April 23, 2012

We heard great things about Surcos tours through the lonely planet "thorn tree" forum and on here as well; as such we had high expectations for Surcos tours ! These expectations were met and exceeded. This began with our communications with Ute who sent us great preparatory information, as well as answered any questions / altered our reservations / made last minute changes - always responding via email in a timely fashion in fluent English both when we were in Canada and Costa Rica.

Our guide Natu really made our trip the excellent and SAFE experience that it was. Natu's laid back and friendly manner made him a great companion for 3 days. His knowledge about the rainforest, ecotourism, and of course ability to spot animals, insects and birds galore ensured we got what we were hoping for. With Natu we saw crocodiles, peccaries, caiman, tapirs, monkeys - and the high powered scope he brought on our hikes in Sirena was awesome for viewing birds and baby monkey's faces up, to name just a few things, up close and in detail !

Surcos tours had fair prices and ensured a quality experience you can't get without a knowledgeable, local guide. But most of all Natu kept us SAFE as it rained like crazy on the last day of our hike. The last river out of the park swelled so much it was up to our waists with a very strong current. Natu confidently instructed us on how to cross this river with him (with our arms linked, at a 45 degree angle to the current) - and we did so safely without much time to spare ! He also arranged for us to get a ride back to town in 4x4 taxi's as we weren't sure if our bus would make it b/c of the rain.

We highly recommend Surcos tours - and ask for Natu !

Reviewed April 18, 2012

We spent 4 days in the beginning of April at Sirena ranger station with Nito from Surcos Tours. It was fantastic, and absolutely the highlight of our visit to Costa Rica.

I was concerned about planning the trip because there was so much we didn't know. Ute did a great job communicating with us through the whole planning process, explaining everything, and taking care of all the arrangements. It all went perfectly smoothly.

We saw a tremendous amount of wildlife that we certainly would have missed if not for Nito. We even saw a Puma! We got terrific pictures thanks to Nito using our camera through his scope. He was incredibly knowledgeable about the wildlife and plant life. We heard amazing stories about everything from leaf cutter ants to acacia trees. Aside from all of his knowledge, he was just a fun and friendly person. It felt like going on a great adventure with a good friend.

We had been warned before going to be careful about choosing a good guide. Now I see how important that is. Nito really cared about ensuring that we had a great time, and wanted us to see as much as possible.

I can't say enough about Surcos Tours. There is no way you could go wrong with such a great group. It is an adventure we will never forget!

1  Thank Elizabeth K
Reviewed April 5, 2012

I contacted Surcos tours in November about doing the 3 day hike from Los Patos to Sirena to La Leona. The contact person was Ute who was wonderful at explaining everything in detail, and putting my wife at ease. Surcos tours took care of all the arrangements and all we had to do was show up with our backpacks and go. We met both Ute and Nito the night before the hike. Nito met us at Delfines restaurant as he pedalled up with his dog CoCo in the bike carrier basket. Nito is a very personable, nice guy and we hit it off immediately. Next morning, we woke at 4 am to get ready to meet Nito at 5 for the Hike. He had Arturo with him who would be the 4 x 4 taxi driver. The 45 minute drive through, along and across the river beds was incredible with Arturo stopping each time they spotted an interesting bird. We arrived at Los Patos Ranger Station and bid Arturo farewell (although we would later meet him 3 more times in Puerto Jimenez.) Our 23 km hike started here through beautiful jungle trails. Nito was unbelievable - how he was able to spot birds and animals in the trees! He was very informative and he set a good pace.It was very hot (34C) and humid, but we had alot of water and snacks, (although my wife wished she'd brought some bars from home.) It took us about 8 hours to hike to the Sirena Ranger Station. We really enjoyed it all. When we arrived, Nito had set us up in one of his tents complete with mattresses, and left us until dinner time. We walked down to the beach before dinner. The food was excellent! We hadn't expected to eat that well at the ranger station.We had great conversations with Nito as my wife grilled him about his life and a thousand other things. He showed us some cool camera shots on his camera, and shared a prank he liked to play.Then, Nito got a rest from the questions as it was soon bedtime. He checked on us, even bringing more blankets as he claimed it would cool down in the night. I had a hard time sleeping as it was HOT! Nito - I did not use that blanket, but thanks. My wife was very tired and slept fine.The next day we were up early and had a great breakfast and then hiked around the trails of Sirena until lunch. We saw a Viper,Toucans,Coatis, Howler Monkeys,Spider Monkeys, all kinds of birds. It seemed endless.We had a break for lunch and then we did a another hike on the other side of the ranger station. It was beautiful and we stopped at a river for a nice refreshing swim. The water was the warmest river water I have swam in.During our day hikes Nito carried a scope. He used it to get us some great pictures. We saw all the 4 species of monkeys, 4 different Tapirs, Deer, Frogs, alot of Coatis, 2 Sloths, Anteater, Owls, BlackHawks, Wood Peckers, Numerous bird species,Large Spiders,Stick insects,leaf cutter ants,Morho butterflys.During all this, my wife peppered Nito with alot more questions. Poor Nito, but he took it well. Then we headed back for dinner. During dinner, Nito and my wife had a great conversation about his family and upbringing. Very interesting to hear how Costa Ricans grow up and their family life. Nito is a very genuine, gracious person. We headed off to bed only to have Nito come by and let us know that 20 feet away from the tent was a deadly Fer De Lance Snake. We had a look and took some pictures then headed back to the tent.We thouroughly checked all around that tent to make sure there wasn't any holes so that the snake couldn't pay us a visit.My wife called to Nito - if he could please move the snake. Nito said it was so cute there he just couldn't do it. Anyways, it was there to catch passing frogs is all. Funny guy that Nito.It was cooler that night so I did get a little more sleep. The next morning had breakfast and started the 20km hike out to La Leona and Carate. We had to immediately cross a waist high river for about 50 feet. The hike out was mostly on trails by the beach. There were beach hikes for about 1km, and another about 1 1/2km to La Leona station. It was cooking hot on the beach and the sweat came pouring out of me for at least 15 minutes after the beach. We drank lots of water. My wife, 1st time ever, had brought a small umbrella and happily used it to block the sun while we walked along the hot beach. Smart lady - (thanks to Ute.) On the way back we found out our new friend Nito was a bit of a prankster. I won't give away his secrets but it involved 3 Beautiful palm Trees and some Bees and a very trusting Canadian couple.Nito - God was on our side and your little trick did not work. HA! Cathy thinks she paid you back by sending the inquisitive German girls in your tired direction.HA again! The hike from La Leona to Carate is about 3 to 4 km all on the sandy beach. We caught a break when it clouded over. People we talked to later that hiked it in full sun said it was gruelling.When we got to Carate we stopped at the store and got cold drinks. Carate is about a population of 3, I think. We caught a communal taxi. The guides graciously sat on hard surfaces in the back of the pick-up. Our next stop - a week at an ocean front house on the road to Puerto Jimenez. We had an awesome time hiking with Nito. In the 3 days we figured we hiked 50 to 55 km. It was so much fun!. The highlight of our 17 day Costa Rican Adventure! Thank you again Nito. It was great to meet you and we consider you a good friend.We really enjoyed talking and laughing with you. Sorry for my wife's endless questions, and pee breaks. We pray that all your dreams come true. And my wife is still conspiring on how she can pull some more pranks on you! ;P Ute, soft soled running shoes worked fine, and kind Nito sprayed them to keep away bothersome bugs. You do a good job being his assistant. Maybe it's time for a raise? Or at least a nice vacation...we know a great guide.... :) Yours truly, Jeff & Cathy

1  Thank CanadianGold1
Reviewed March 13, 2012

My Boyfriend and I went on a three day backpacking trip through Surcos Tours. They were great to us answering all the questions we had before the trip.... Our guide Natu met us the night before we left for Corcovado. He was very friendly and informative.... The next morning we set out on our journey!... The entire experience was amazing! Natu is a wealth of knowledge, he spotted things we didn't see and he made us feel comfortable with our new surroundings.... Everything was so beautiful and perfect!

I just want to thank everyone for their hospitality at Surcos Tours!

Thank You Natu for one of the BEST experiences I have ever had!!!!

Jessica