Agua Dulce Beach Resort
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Iguana Lodge(Puerto Jimenez)
View Hotel
Corcovado Beach Lodge(Puerto Jimenez)
  • Beachfront
Oro Verde Hostel(Puerto Jimenez)
Cabinas Jimenez(Puerto Jimenez)
View Hotel
Las Islas Lodge(Puerto Jimenez)
  • Breakfast included
Casa Bambu Resort(Cabo Matapalo)
View Hotel
All reviewsosa peninsulajacuzzi roomcosta ricapot holesrip currentsnice poolpool viewgreat resortrestaurant staffprivate beachtwo queen bedsrooms were very cleanfishair conditioningbreakfast was includeddirt roadrainforest tour
FilterAll languages
Reviewed May 13, 2014

We stayed in a beachfront room for 3 nights in late April and couldn’t have been happier with our overall experience here. The beach is beautiful and right outside your door. The beachfront rooms are large, very clean, have comfortable beds and good A/C. From the rocking chairs on our porch, we watched scarlet macaws eating almonds from a tree within 50 feet of our door. This was truly a sight we’ll never forget.

The entire property is well-kept, from the grounds to the large pool, the restaurant with bar and the reception area.

The service provided by ALL of the staff here was beyond our expectations. I sent a phone text to Chris when our boat left Golfito. He met us at the dock in Puerto Jimenez along with our cab driver, which helped to get our stay off on the “right foot”! Jeanette promptly checked us in and escorted us to our room.

Throughout our stay we ate breakfast and dinner here, each meal being of good quality and taste. In addition to the menu, they had a fresh fish option each night. Breakfast was included in the rate and made to order by our menu choice. Every restaurant/bar staff person we came in contact with were attentive, professional and welcoming.

We caught a ride with Carlos and Mitch in to town (at their offering) and en route they stopped at a locally known wildlife habitat area. There we saw some Capuchin monkeys jumping from tree to tree. Another unexpected bonus:) We had good lunch at Carolina's in town.

Being about 6 kilometers from town makes this location an “end of the road experience”, great for rest, relaxation and wildlife. We look forward to returning!

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 21, 2014

Located 6.6 from Puerto Jimenez in Costa Rica, this hotel is on the beach front of Playa Preciosa, which means translated Beautiful beach, and is so, really an excellent place. The Hotel service is absolutely excellent, you really feel at home. The Beach is in a walking distance and you can hear the Macaws, the monkeys, the tucans as well. The Hotel rooms are big and spacious with a balcony. The price is excellent as well, I would recomend it!!

Room Tip: Second Floor rooms
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed April 6, 2014

great value right on the beach at Puerto Jimenez. takes about 5 min by cab and 10 us to get from PJ to hotel. beach front rooms are big with huge spa tub. clean rooms very nice staff. Breakfast is included and is great served very good service overlooking the water. Room 7 is the only water view other than the ocean front units. consider walking down the beach and having a meal at the Igunna. They have beach bbq that was incredible.

Room Tip: #7 has only water view
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 6, 2014

We were advised to visit this hotel during our recent stay in Puerto Jimenez as they encourage day guests for lunch & use of their pool.
We cycled several kilometers to reach this place as it sits in an isolated location along the Golfo Dulce. The buildings look average and spaces that we saw were clean. The pool is quite small and was full of leaves and debris which the pool-man finally decided to clean at about 4 p.m. Seems to me morning when no one is IN the pool is usually a preferred time for pool clean-up isn't it?
The small upstairs restaurant had a very simple and limited menu which became even more limited when several of our selections were met with a "we-do-not-currently-have-this" response from our waiter. I was reduced to selecting a ham & cheese sandwich with fries which was one slice of packaged ham and one slice of packaged cheese served on a hamburger bun - all for $8. A McDonald's burger would have been better and I don't even eat fast-food!
The men's bathroom did not have running water whilst the women's had no soap. One would not be inclined to complain if we had not witnessed the waiter leaving the bar water tap run for over 5 minutes at full-flow. Aren't folks in the Osa Peninsula supposed to be conscious of conserving water?
We attempted to have a swim in the ocean at the front step of the hotel but the signs posted advise against swimming in this area due to rip-tides. The beach is black and horrible looking so even sitting on the beach was not an option.
We had a quick swim in the pool and headed back to our little B & B in Puerto Jimenez, grateful that we had not chosen Agua Dulce for our stay.
Save yourself the disappointment by simply avoiding this place.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank intlroxy
AguaDulceLodge, Manager at Agua Dulce Beach Resort, responded to this reviewResponded April 13, 2014

Dear Trip Advisor Traveler…How could Agua Dulce Beach Resort possibly be a Complete Disappointment if someone has not had a Complete Experience?

Because this reviewer did not stay with us at Agua Dulce Beach Resort, but merely visited for a couple hours, I would beg you, Dear Traveler, please take these comments with a grain of salt, and as a rush to judgment of what a true experience is like at Agua Dulce.

As I study the reviews of guests that Actually Stayed with us… it is clear that Our Guests truly enjoy their stay at Agua Dulce! …and how about this…You can ask them about it! Anonymously, through Trip Advisor! Many of our prior guests will be happy to correspond with you and honestly answer your questions or concerns about our area and their stay at Agua Dulce. That what’s great about the Trip Advisor Community!

As evidenced by my prior management responses, I always begin with an apology. In this instance, the apology is to you, the Trip Advisor Community, for this review being allowed to remain public. I often wonder what sense of satisfaction a reviewer gains from this type of public tongue lashing when it is completely unnecessary and unwarranted.

I hope that the trivial nature of this review and my rather lengthy response actually motivates you to want to stay with us!

Dear Traveler, We love what we do! We truly value your hard earned vacation time! Please come stay with us and let us show you our hospitality, dedication to service, and genuine caring and concern for your comfort, fun, adventure, and relaxation in one of the most incredible places on the planet!

Agua Dulce Beach Resort is listed on Trip Advisor as Hotel/Resort.

We are not listed on Trip Advisor as a restaurant, or a local attraction, and to spite what this reviewer said, we do not promote ourselves as such. Unlike many Private Properties in our area, we actually welcome local residents from our community to come and enjoy our property. Being accessible to our neighbors, employees and their families, and our community we believe is a good thing. I think one of our prior guests in their review used the word, unpretentious, when describing their experience at Agua Dulce. Cool!

I will be the first one to call a foul, but rarely do I use the word unfair. I believe that it is unfair to allow a reviewer, who has Not stayed with us and had an opportunity to experience what we promise, deliver, and promote on the Trip Advisor website, to post a review such as this. Unfortunately, Trip Advisor did not agree with me. Again, how could it possibly be a complete disappointment for this reviewer, and then advise others to avoid us if they have not had a complete experience?

As always, I have reached out to this reviewer, and as of the date of this response have not had a return response. With a sense of fairness in mind, I have also made a visit. I visited the reviewer’s Trip Advisor profile. While there are an impressive 28 reviews, this reviewer is clearly disappointed often, 1 out of 3 times actually, and uses the word disappointed often.

Looking closer, it appears this reviewer also had a torn back muscle during their visit to the Osa Peninsula. I can only assume that this would have contributed to their experience in a negative way after cycling the described, several kilometers from town to our location. I can only imagine that they were probably in pain when they arrived. Again, as evidenced in my responses to others concerns about our distance from town…Agua Dulce is not isolated; we are exactly 5 km or 3.1 miles from the center of town, and 4km from where this reviewer departed.

Our upstairs restaurant is open air with soaring 20’ vaulted ceilings made of reclaimed Teak, amazing structural posts made of Caratigre, and the most incredible views of any restaurant on the Osa overlooking the magical Golfo Dulce! If small is over 2,000 square feet, a bar that seats 25, and comfortable table seating for over 72, I am uncertain what would be considered large by this reviewer. I cannot speak to what the reviewer actually received for their meal because I was not personally there, but I do apologize if some menu items may not have been available.

In keeping with our comfort food culinary theme; to provide our guests, who are far from home, a selection of dishes that are familiar as well as an opportunity to sample our superb Costa Rican cuisine, I can promise that portions are compatible to what you would expect in the USA. Including the ham and cheese sandwich.

Since the reviewer did not voice any complaint, concern, or ask for a manager when presented the bill for $8 dollars for the ham and cheese sandwich and a side of fries. How is it possible for us to improve or more importantly to rectify a situation such as this immediately? The answer for this reviewer is this very public lambasting. Unfair

Speaking to the McDonald’s comment, first there isn’t a McDonalds on the planet that has a view like ours! Next, we are a proud supporter of RMHC and the brand new Ronald McDonald House in San Jose that hosts families throughout Costa Rica with the opportunity for families and children to stay close to the hospital when a child is critically ill. Additionally, as the founder and facilitator of Feed My Sheep Association, our NGO, we feed nearly 300 impoverished women and children. Everyday. 365 days a year!! Seriously. This is not a joke, bravado, braggart, or a shameless plug. We really fund and do this. every. single. day. Not to mention building homes for the elderly and school houses for handicap children in our own community.

The pool at Agua Dulce is one of the largest on the Osa Peninsula at about 80,000 gallons! It is not, quite small, as the reviewer suggests. The pool is cleaned every morning without fail. About 10am the ocean breezes start blowing and the large 80’ tree between the ocean and the pool discards its leaves…and they fall directly into the pool. By about 4 pm, generally the winds have died down and the pool can then be skimmed. Until the winds calm down, we would need to have an employee skimming the pool for hours and hours on end…I hope that most would agree that this is not an efficient utilization of labor resources, and one of the reasons we can still offer clean, comfortable, and air conditioned rooms on the beach, at an affordable rate. Again, the reviewer said nothing to staff. Unfair.

Dear Traveler, there is no advisory against swimming in our area on any sign. There are also no lifeguards. The sign on the beach reads exactly…Warning, Rip Currents. Similarly, on the side of a shallow swimming pool normally is painted…No Diving. The safety and security of our guests is paramount.

Swimming in front of our property in the Golfo Dulce is perfectly safe a majority of the time. A keen view of the current conditions, coupled with a brief conversation with any of our staff about safety would have given this reviewer the information they were truly seeking. The signs are for those without common sense, or without an eye for potentially dangerous conditions, the fortitude to approach a staff member and ask questions, and for our protection against potential litigation. I am more likely to conclude that the reason that the reviewer did not go into the ocean or take a walk on our spectacular beach was because of the torn back muscle, and the thought of the 4 km cycle back to Puerto Jimenez.

Dear Traveler, ALL of the beaches on the Osa Peninsula, and most of Costa Rica are black sand. Horrible is Never a word I have heard used to describe our beach.

Finally, I do apologize that there was no soap in the bathroom, but I want you, Traveler, to know that we are absolutely conscience of conservation! Our state of the art water system that we just installed is proof, and was being worked on the week this reviewer must have visited. The reviewer complained of water issues at another property where they were staying, and I believe used this minor issue as an excuse to further vent frustration and angst.

Our system not only filters out particles with huge sand filters, but then destroys any bacteria with two powerful UV light filters, and finally softens the water through salt injection before it is delivered to your tap or shower through two powerful pressure tanks so that you not only have pure drinking water, but a sudsy wonderful shower…which by the way, also reduces the need for extra soap in the shower and more importantly results in us using less soap and chemicals in our laundry.

A Failure to meet any visitor expectation is difficult pill to swallow because we truly do strive for perfection, and apparently we failed this reviewer. We know we can never get to perfection, but working toward that goal is always the carrot at the end of the stick we are chasing. Agua Dulce will continue to provide value, comfort, fun, adventure, safety and security, and an assurance to our guests that our service and environmental and social conscience is above the standards expected by today’s travelers. The only reason to simply avoid us, as the reviewer suggests is if you believe this rhetoric, and you Dear Trip Advisor Traveler…are wiser than that. Pura Vida!

Chris

Reviewed March 31, 2014

This place with fantastic rooms, beside the beach, nice pool, lovely restaurant, great service and helpful staff really made our stay on the OSA a highlight of the holidays. We were the only family from north europe, which was fun. with this place as our startpoint we managed to do some seafishing, dolphine watching, surfschool for our kids, visit to Corcovado and all that fixed for good price in town. Puerto J is a nice town with a couple of nice bakeries and costa rican life, the cow and horse ranches towards corcovado were quite nice and birdlife is superb! our kids thought it was great fun driving through the rivers with our 4x4...

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family