“Great animal immersion experience”

Osa Wildlife Sanctuary
More attraction details
Owner description: Also known as the Santuario Silvestre de Osa . Owned by Carol Crews. $25 admission/donation. All proceeds go into the sanctuary.
Chicago
“Great animal immersion experience”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

I cannot express in words the wonder and awe that describes my experiences at the Osa Wildlife Sanctuary. The Sloths warmed my heart, the McCaws so colorful and chatty, and the Spider Monkeys, (oh the Spider Monkeys!), touched my heart literally and figuratively.

This was a return visit for us, which we plan to repeat many, many times. Where we can witness the developments of the Sanctuary, and the healing of the animals who were lucky to have been brought there to recover from whatever trauma led them there in the first place.

This is definitely something for your bucket list, for those visiting the Southern Zone. Be sure to make a big donation to the Sanctuary - you have no idea how costly it is to strengthen these animals, in order to return them to the wild. Each individual creature is different. Some need support for a few days, weeks, months and some for years. The Santuary accepts all animals - most regain their health and thrive, not just survive.

My only dissapointment was missing Earl Crews' tour, who co-founded of the Sanctuary with his wife, but we always learn a lot with each guide that we have had to date.

Keep up the GREAT work! We thank you for all that you do.

Visited February 2013

New England
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Carol's passion for rehabilitating animals shines through”
Reviewed February 20, 2013

This was a wonderful experience, and one I'll never forget! Carol has such a passion for rescuing and rehabilitating animals from the exotic pet trade, and it shows. The animals are well cared for and Carol knows her stuff!

The location alone was worth the trip. The sanctuary is on a beautiful beach in the midst of a splendid jungle. Everything was incredible interactive. Sweetie (the spider monkey) was a total character... she will be sure to show you were she'd like a scratch, if you're willing to oblige. I loved the sloths, the kinkajous, the tyra, the monkeys... all the fun animals we saw. It's well run and you'll feel good donating to this establishment.

Please note: Use a bathroom before you get there and be sure to contact Carol and find out what (if anything) the shelter could use for donations before you arrive. We brought fruit to give to the animals but there are always things an organization could use!

Visited February 2013
Succasunna, New Jersey
121 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 140 helpful votes
“Don't waste your time or money”
Reviewed February 17, 2013

I guess it all has to do with expectations. I had assumed there would be lots of animals and animal friendly pens. There is really nothing here. You start out meeting a Parrot that is trained and when not being shown to tourists is in a cage. We were supposed to be greeted by a white faced monkey, but he had surgery that day. This place consists of like 5 cages with some animals that had all been pets and were abandoned. A noble cause, but $ 150 per person for an excursion from the windstar ship is a rip off.

8 Thank fnct
Calgary
6 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 29 helpful votes
“Educational experience”
Reviewed January 25, 2013

We loved our experience at the Osa Wildlife Sanctuary and meeting Carol who is such a passionate, determined woman.

This is not a zoo - it's a rehabilitation centre. If you're going there to see a large number of animals, you'll be disappointed as there are only a few non-releasable residents. It is, however, a fantastic opportunity to learn about wildlife rehabilitation and conservation in Costa Rica. We bombarded Carol with questions and learned plenty from her.

Meeting Sweetie the spider monkey was certainly an experience I'll always remember.

I admire Carol for what she's doing with such little money and so much red tape.

1 Thank Deborah T
billings, mt
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“good sanctuary”
Reviewed January 20, 2013

I enjoyed the talk and I was pleased to see that the woman who runs it is very committed to releasing the animals that can be released, educating the tourists, and doing what she can to discourage the pet trade of monkeys. We all enjoyed getting up close and personal with her residents