“Too bad it's needed” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Osa Wildlife Sanctuary

Osa Wildlife Sanctuary
More attraction details
Owner description: Also known as the Santuario Silvestre de Osa . Owned by Carol Crews. $25 admission/donation. All proceeds go into the sanctuary.
Kingman AZ
5 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Too bad it's needed”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2012

The Sanctuary trip was one of the best parts of our visit to Puerto Jimenez. We had about 50 dolphins to ourselves while crossing the Golfo Dulce, and then we were greeted at teh Sanctuario by a woman holding a baby squirrel monkey and a baby sloth. Many animals, best cages they could be in without a full-blown zoo, and very knowledgeable.

Visited April 2012
1 Thank skyhunt2007

NYC
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 18 helpful votes
“Great for kids”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 5, 2012

So much in life is about expectations. We visited with John from Cabinas Jiminez. The boat trip to the sanctuary is so beautiful, and half the fun. You will not see a lot of animals, since the point is to rehab them away from humans for re-release. Carol told us she hadn't seen some of her big cats for months because they don't want them exposed to anyone but the caretaker. You will visit and support a rehab center in very remote part of the world. You will most likely ride through pods of dolphins on the way. You will directed by a monkey to scratch it in its desired area. Very memorable, especially for the kids.

Visited July 2012
1 Thank NYCBushbaby
Tallahassee
21 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 51 helpful votes
“Maybe it would have been better another day”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

I love animals, and am a big proponent of animal welfare and rehab, but this place left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. Our guide was an intern who clearly did not know a lot about the animals at the center. Some of his answers about what families the animals were in or how closely related they were to other species was cringe-worthy. But it bothered me even more that he would try to wake up nocturnal animals so that we could see them move around. The woman who runs the place was unable to talk with our group because she had a sick monkey that she was tending to, and the vet was there to see the monkey while we were there touring. I'm told that if we had heard her talk things would have been much better. So while I did not enjoy my visit all that much, I hesitate to be negative, as I imagine this rehab center does do good and valuable work, and I know they get their much needed funds from the people who visit. So I suggest you visit and support the animals, but hope that you luck out and get an informed guide and get to meet the woman who operates the place.

Visited May 2012
Puerto Jimenez, Costa Rica
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“A must do...! A Must Go..!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 2, 2012

The Osa Wildlife Sanctuary is such a very special place. A great tour, to see all kinds of wildlife, from Costa rica. I highly recommened it.

Visited July 2012
Chicago, Illinois
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 55 helpful votes
“a really worthwhile visit”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 25, 2012

the sanctuary rescues injured, illegally gotten or abandoned animals, so they do good work. it was fun to see animals i've never seen before, like a peccary and kinkajou! best of all is sweetie, a really friendly squirrel monkey who goes up to every visitor and tells you where to scratch her.

on the boat ride back have your captain take you to the dolphins! we saw a lot!! stunning.

Visited April 2012