“Blue Osa is like coming home”

Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Ranked #1 of 12 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Salt Lake City, Utah
“Blue Osa is like coming home”
Reviewed June 17, 2013

I had the opportunity to spend a week at Blue Osa for a yoga retreat. The moment I stepped onto the property, it was like coming home. The Blue Osa family is so warm and receptive. The facilities and amenities are amazing. The comfortable rooms, the delicious meals prepared by Marie and her amazingly talented staff, and the excursions are worth a stay at Blue Osa. This was my second trip to this beautiful resort RIGHT on the beach, and I plan on returning. I highly encourage the waterfall repel adventure and the ultimate zip line experience!! SO MUCH FUN! I've been telling all my friends that are planning a trip to Costa Rica or have a desire to visit, that they MUST stay at the Blue Osa. It's guaranteed that you will be treated with kindness and love.....like family.

Room Tip: I'd recommend selecting a room on the ground floor that are closer to the pool and view of the o...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled solo
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this review, June 23, 2013
Dear John

Thank you so much for being such an amazing Yoga Group leader. The group of students and yogis you and Bryan brought were so warm and kind to all of the Blue Osa family, that it was effortless in providing care to them. We all had such a memorable week that we are still reminiscing.

We can't wait to have you back next year!

Aaron

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
  • Finnish first
whitby
Reviewed June 16, 2013

Do you want to have a yoga retreat in a setting that resembles a National Geographic setting. Then Blue Osa is the place for you. Imagine doing your yoga while listening to waves catching in a state of the art yoga studio. To top it off, the yoga instructor will bring your practice to a whole new level. Thanks Jessica. Not only that you will eat the most amazing food, go on exciting adventure trips, and be treated like family by the an incredibly accommodating staff. The rooms are spacious and comfortable. The beach divine, and waking up to Howler monkeys wanting you to start your day is a once in a lifetime experience. Thanks Aaron and to all your wonderful staff for making my stay divine.

Dear Lorraine,

Thank for sharing your friendly Canadian spirit with us. It is wonderful having people come visit us from back home. Jess and I thoroughly enjoyed having you become apart of our family during the week. We are so glad you received so much for the Personal Yoga Retreat Getaway.

I do hope you will come back and visit us soon!

Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed June 14, 2013

I went to Blue Osa on a week long yoga retreat and had never been to Costa Rica before. After this trip I will be returning again - many times I hope. Where to begin - from the first day meeting Michael to the last afternoon saying good bye to Marie, each day became better than the previous. The staff: warm, friendly and always helpful to the smallest details. The food: perfect every day, always fresh wholesome, nourishing and made with love. The resort: beautiful and relaxing is an understatement. I was rejuvenated by the sounds of the ocean, calls of the birds & monkey, smells of the tropical flowers, sea breezes and the rainforest. The activities: many great tours to choose from, waterfall repelling, zip lines, kayaking the mangroves or walking the beach every morning. I could be as active or as lazy as I wanted to be each day.
Aaron & Adam had a vision of a resort and created a place where I felt so welcomed & comfortable. It was more than I could have imagined yet, everything I needed.

Thank you again; Aaron, Michael, Marie, Jose, Jessica & Jesus.

Denver, Colorado
Reviewed June 6, 2013

Blue Osa is purely magical.

The property is beautiful, well kept and a sanctuary to get away from all of your worries and stress. I attended a Yoga retreat at Blue Osa and it was the perfect setting for our group. Aaron, Michael, Maria, and all of the staff were so very friendly, helpful, and a delight to interact with. The location is away from all touristy places but the access is easy via the arrangements Blue Osa helps arrange. The local tours which were provided were all great experiences of Costa Rica and the beauty and fun it offers. The flora and fauna on and around the resort is amazing....if you don't schedule a tour off of the property there is plenty to see and do right there! I really appreciated the constant efforts to be eco-friendly, which was always apparent.

I scheduled a massage with Jesus and I can't say enough about his skills and how he is very intuitive on your needs and problem areas. He is a true healer....which lead me to book a second follow up session.

The food at Blue Osa was always exceptional, fresh, and plentiful. Maria has to be one of the most hard working and passionate individuals I have seen. Her creations are a direct reflection of that passion which resonates throughout the staff. It was also very nice to always have fresh Costa Rican Coffee available at all times!!

The rooms are very well kept, always clean, and comfortable. The overhead fans and bed fans made sleeping very easy in the tropical environment. As well as the rooms, all of the bathrooms and the common areas were also very clean and well kept.

Blue Osa is truly a place to "get away from it all" and to be able to do as little or as much as you so choose. Whether you are with a group or as an individual Aaron has obviously made it easy for you to always feel at home when you are at Blue Osa.

Don't hesitate, go now!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends
Macon, Georgia, United States
Reviewed May 25, 2013

I booked my trip to Blue Osa with a company that offers continuing education credits for Massage Therapists. I went to the website to check out the facilities and watched some of the videos on the youtube channel. I was excited about meeting Aaron and eating Marie's meals, but in no way could I have possibly imagined having the time I had. The staff members were accommodating; On the first day I arrived, Fillo (the tour guide) gave a white hawk call to the macaws in the trees, so I could see them fly! I enjoyed playing in the Gulfo Dulce and renting one of Blue Osa's bikes to go for a ride. The zipline tour was fun and I learned a lot on the Matapalo hike. I love that Blue Osa is an Eco-resort and has such a strong commitment to the environment. The landscaping, architecture and decor were conducive to relaxation, and I had the opportunity to slow down and quiet, something essential in balancing my very full life. It has been almost a month since I was there, and I am still bathing in the beauty of the experience! I hope to return again!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
New York City, New York
Reviewed May 25, 2013

Overall our stay at Blue Osa in January 2013 was wonderful. My boyfriend and I have wanted to write a review for some time, but as life is, we are just finding the time now!

The location and grounds of Blue Osa could not be better or more pristine. The pool is fantastic and clean, the yoga studio has the most beautiful views, and the beach is so close that you can hear the waves from your bed at night. The kitchen and Marie's cooking are fantastic, healthy and fresh, everything all the other reviews have said about it is true. Simply put, it was the best hotel experience either of us has had in a long time.

We spent 8 nights there through a living social deal but Blue Osa is really geared towards 7 night stays as all the yoga retreats seem to be set up that way. As we were not participating in a yoga retreat we did have one awkward day with one group leaving and another group arriving. One thing to note- The daily routine and schedule of Blue Osa does seems to revolve around the desires of the yoga retreat leader in charge that week, so it is possible that you could be woken up by ringing bells at 5am and have to respect 4 hours of morning silence as we did our last day there.

We would recommend been better bed sheets (they were rough!), and more clear scheduling and pricing of excursions. We weren't always sure when we were doing what or who we were supposed to tip. Also, our fan automatically turned off every 60 minutes, which was a little annoying during the hot nights.

Overall, however, the stay was fantastic. Hopefully we'll have a chance to return soon.

Kristin and Michael

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
Reviewed May 21, 2013

I bought a LivingSocial deal for 4 nights in Blue Osa as an anniversary surprise for my boyfriend, and I'm glad that I did. Ever since I was 14 years old, I wanted to go to Costa Rica because of its beautiful and natural preservation, so it was kind of a dream-come-true. My Costa Rican co-worker convinced me to bypass cheaper stays in DR and Jamaica, spend the extra cash and go. Going to an eco-lodge such as Blue Osa is a true reflection of the Costa Rican spirit of celebrating nature and life.

PROS: MARIE - if someone from the Food Network is reading this, you have to go to Blue Osa and meet her. I could sing her praises like a church choir and of course the staff that assists her! They are all FANTASTIC. Each night was a different and spectacular meal and experience. I could not help but look forward to every time someone rang that little bell to signal breakfast, lunch, small snack time and dinner - you don't want to miss it! Any foodies out there, you could probably go to Blue Osa just for the meals and be satisfied. Try the smoothies also; ask Marie to make them with a por favor or merci beaucoup as she is multilingual and such an adorable and kind-hearted person. The products that they use are truly farm to table. I watched them buy the cheese from a Costa Rican farmer, and they also have their own backyard of fresh fruit - pineapples, papayas, guanabana, etc.

Tours, you kinda wish that there were more on-site things they'd give you for entertainment like a frisbee or some kind of free community activity to make time go faster when you're not at the spa or swimming at either the beach or chlorine-free lap pool (we didn't do yoga; yoga's free at our gym at home), so the tours are where the majority of the action is. Costa Rica is well-known for its jungle but also ziplining through it, and it was CRAZY AWESOME - we were going to do the Super Ultimate package, but you have to go with the majority to make the shuttle cheaper (that car ride is crazy expensive as all we met agreed). Jumping from 500-year-old trees through the intermittent rain and sunshine was simply incredible; there are just no word sometimes to describe something so beautiful. Our bike and hike through the jungle was with an informative, smart and fun guide who led us to a natural pool with a waterfall, which you can just jump from and cool off.

Jesus and Marcela, two of the world's most gifted and coolest people. Both have different styles of massage and are amazing! Jesus really taught me about the mechanics of our bodies and the problems I need to focus on with my feet. He was such a nice and easygoing person; don't be afraid to tell him anything. Marcela has what I call "water hands", which is the most accurate way I can describe her style. Her magical and healing hands just feel as soothing to the skin as water. I felt so seriously revitalized after my massage with her that I had trouble sleeping that night!

Other great things?
-the awesome chlorine-free, naturally filtered lap pool
-the dogs that follow you to the beach literally seconds away
-the quietness and peace that the environment exudes
-for the most part, everyone's so nice!
-eating together with all of the guests as to create a community eco-system
-Michael (I'm assuming an assistant manager) was extremely warm, welcoming and accessible.

CONS: Honestly, we did not feel welcome by the owner Aaron when we arrived at Blue Osa. And actually, we certainly did not feel welcome by him when we left either. Via email, before we physically arrived at the eco-resort, he seemed as accommodating as one could seem through email. However, when we got there with another couple, he was focused, friendly and warm to the other couple, and oddly enough completely ignored us. When he finally turned to us briefly, his kindness felt forced and made us feel more like an annoying afterthought than a priority. Yesterday, before our departure from Blue Osa with another couple, he once again engaged the other couple at breakfast. He asked my boyfriend and I if we were leaving only before we made final payments. Mind you, there were at most 8 couples staying there. It's hard not to know, especially being an owner I could imagine, if someone is leaving. A lot of the other guests we had the pleasure of meeting also used deals from Groupon and LivingSocial, so I guess we'll just never know why he wasn't so nice to us in particular. It just kind of soured our Blue Osa experience.

Some other possible issues?
-the beach is not crystal blue waters if that's what you're expecting; it's very rocky but just dig around for the soft sandy spots
-shuttles are very expensive when it comes to adding costs for any tour you go on or trips into the town
-tours can depend on the amount of people that go
-WIFI, they didn't have it for the week we were there, though it's pretty clear that the staff has some kind of internet connection because we got our online receipt surprisingly quickly unless they got it back exactly a few hours later yesterday. At the same time, it can be better for your soul to go without internet while you're there for a few days.
-if you're kind of shy or not a people person, everyone eating together at dinner may not be your cup of tea as everyone is semi-forced into making conversation with one another.

Room Tip: Try to get room 1, 2 or 3 even if you have to share the bathroom. They're on a second floor away...
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Wynona L
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Hi Wynona

Thank you so much for your TA review and taking the time to thoroughly express every aspect of your stay. So many people taking the time to read through these reviews really appreciate them.

I am so sorry you took it so personally that we did not interact that much during your stay. As a general rule, I have learned that most guests want to be left alone. As a philosophy at Blue Osa, we invite guests to enjoy the solitude and peace it offers for an opportunity of much needed inward reflection. I am a very engaging person with people who wish to come and talk to me and would have loved to have taken the time to speak to you. After check you and Alexander in, my impression was that both of you wanted to be left alone.

The internet here is typically really reliable and fast. We are so blessed to have it. As I mentioned in the orientation, a few days before you arrived there was some lightening which caused our system to malfunction. Typically it does not go out for this long. The internet I managed to get for our office use was from our office cell phone.

I sincerely wish you the best and hope you continue with your yoga practice.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Puerto Jimenez
#5 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez
Cabinas Jimenez
Cabinas Jimenez
#2 of 12 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!