“Blue Osa: A Beautiful, Tranquil Paradise!” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa

Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
New York City, New York
“Blue Osa: A Beautiful, Tranquil Paradise!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 3, 2013

I have retreated at Blue Osa three times in 4 years: twice as a yoga participant and on my latest visit, I held my first yoga retreat there. I can honestly say, Blue Osa continues to impress and gets better with time!" The buildings, rooms and grounds are quite lovely. If you need to get away, this is the place! The yoga deck is fabulously beautiful. Great for practice and meditation. Also, you have the beach at the end of the property that is quiet and peaceful. Mouthwatering delectable meals prepared by Chef Marie. With Aaron, Marie, Gabby, Jose and the rest of the staff, my retreat-sters and I was left wanting nothing! The entire Blue Osa staff is to be commended for their attention to service and detail! Blue Osa is Paradise!

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (136)
  • Finnish first
Vancouver
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 31, 2013

Our family just returned from a week at Blue Osa. And we had a great time. Nice safe beach, although on the last day one of my sons was stung by a jellyfish - apparently rare there, however. The staff could not have been better, a truly wonderful collection of folks. Your lack of Spanish will not be a problem.

The yoga studio was gorgeous, overlooking the water, and a daily treat. Other highlights: I believe that people who decide to go there will all be nice. They will be interesting, care about the environment and friendly; mango smoothies; beautifully cared for grounds; a lap pool, many areas to relax in, in privacy; large rooms; a library of English books - I borrowed the wonderful award-winning novel, The Book Thief, and managed to finish it in time and did not have to abscond with it - so it is there for you to enjoy; very comfortable beds; and Marcella is a tremendous masseuse.

FYI: There is no airconditioning since the resort is all solar powered (kudos for that) and there was only one night that was too hot - each room has a number of fans, which make a big difference.

The meals were beautifully presented, high quality food, great variety. The kitchen team was led by the immensely talented chef, Marie. Our kids got to enjoy some foods they never had tried before and they loved it. We brought out two teenage sons and while they did enjoy themselves ( they love water, are mature and independent) this is primarily a resort for adults. Lastly Blue Osa has four dogs - we had lots of fun with them and miss them already.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Piedras Blancas, Costa Rica
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 27, 2013

I am a fellow lodge owner in Costa Rica and took my female staff to Blue Osa for a girls getaway. This is a great spot to enjoy the quiet and solitude of the beach in an un-rushed environment. We got massages, ate delicious food, and had a great time getting to know the staff. It was a special treat! It has a very campy and cozy feel to it (mealtimes are set and served family style, which I love). Be aware that the mornings at Blue Osa are quiet (i.e., there is meditation time) so if you want to be chatty in the a.m., grab a cup of coffee, head to the beach and talk to the fish! Or, use the meditation time to meditate and reflect on the beauty there, which is an ideal spot to soak it all in.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Manhattan, New York, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 13, 2013

This was my 1st stay at Blue Osa. The property is right on the beach on lush landscaped grounds. The design of the buildings and pool is very zen-like and blends perfectly with the surroundings. The staff couldn't have been more welcoming and accommodating. I mentioned casually to another guest that I wish my room had a little more ventilation and soon after discovered a large floor-stand fan in my room and another smaller fan on my nigh stand! The food is amazing! Marie, the cook had an array of completely different dishes prepared every day. I had heard she never cooks the same thing twice! I had a couple of massages by Jesus and an acupuncture session from Koji - both wonderful! Thank you Aaron, Paul, Michael, Marie and the rest of the staff... hope to see you again soon!

Room Tip: If you have the bucks get the penthouse (at canopy level)!
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank H S
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 11, 2013

Blue Osa is located in a very private setting with a nice beach and plush grounds. The staff is excellent and they do a great job keeping the place clean.

I was expecting something different as they call it a resort. It does not have amenities that you would expect a traditional resort to have. I applaud that they are eco-friendly but there is a price to pay for that. For instance, no air conditioning. The ceiling fan is on a timer so you have to continually get up at night to turn it back on. They ask you (many times) to not flush the toilet paper. This I understand however, they should empty the trash more than once/day for the odor.

I also felt they were "nickel and diming" us. If you get there before 4PM you will be charged for lunch even though there is nowhere else to eat. They don't include that meal in your price. They also charge for yoga mats which I find ridiculous. They should just include that in the total price if you are there for a yoga retreat.

The food is exceptional however, there isn't always enough of it. For breakfast they serve fruit and granola. Although both are delicious, I'm still hungry. Many of the snacks were light as well. So bring some nutritional bars or nuts to hold you over.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
8 Thank D G
blueosa, Owner at Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa, responded to this review, March 17, 2013
Hi DG,

Thank you so much for your comments to us. We always make a point of letting our staff know any positive reviews that come to Blue Osa, and that the hard work they do to make Blue Osa happen is appreciated and valued. I am also happy to hear you enjoyed the food and will make sure Marie knows. She takes such great care and pride in how the guests are taken care of in the dining room.

I am so sorry that Blue Osa did not meet your expectation and I am grateful that we have an opportunity to clarify a few missing details in this review.  Reviews really help Blue Osa to get our message across and help people to prepare for the journey us.

I would like to address a couple of the factual comments you made.

1.  Even though we are referred to as a resort, in true definition, while we are seemingly a resort, we are actually a yoga retreat.  We are not Club Med, or a cruise line with an all service buffet and amenities.  The magic of Blue Osa, as you may have found, comes through in the simplicity of what we offer.  We have found that our guests come to us because we have great environmental practices and while we do not preach to our guests a specific way of being, we definitely encourage a practice of learning and mindfulness.

2. The fans are on a timer for one hour in the rooms.  The ceiling fans draw an enormous amount of power from our battery banks which are charged by the sun during the day.  If all the fans were left on during the night, our battery banks would be drained before the morning.   We do provide bed fans which are small, very eco friendly, and very powerful.  Typically, most guests leave their bed fans on a low setting in the night and have to turn them off because the temperature drops about 10 degrees.

3. We are currently working on putting some more information on our website about the costs of running an eco retreat.  But to give you an idea, we currently just replaced our battery bank which cost us $30,000.   Although this is changing, it is not cheap to be environmentally aware due to the lack of infrastructure.  But it is the commitment of Blue Osa to do its part, and the guests who come to Blue Osa are contributing in showing up. So we thank you for showing up.

4.  We have down our best to indicate very clearly on our website, welcome package, frequently asked questions, and here on Trip Advisor that we do NOT provide air conditioning and clearly this was not communicated to you. If you could let us know how we could improve in how we impart information, please let us know because it is so important for us to have happy and taken care of guests when they come to Blue Osa.

5. We do charge for the use of a yoga mat. Guests have the option of bringing one, or renting a thick yoga mat while they are at Blue Osa.  While this may seem outrageous to many, the costs of shipping these mats and providing these services are enormous.  You made a great suggestion of just adding it to the price of staying at Blue Osa.  We would like to keep our prices as low as possible, and then allow people to choose what they would like to take advantage of from our services when they arrive.

6. Our check in time is at 2 PM and our check out time is at 10 PM.  As we include meals in the cost of staying with us, we do charge for lunch if someone would like to come early on the day of check-in, or stay later on the day of check-out.

7.  One of the biggest comments we receive from our guests is how much food there is.  I believe you stayed at Blue Osa during a yoga retreat in which we served four meals a day. Two heaver meals and two lighter meals.  While we typically serve buffet style meals to allow people to choose from the options provided, we are not an all you can eat service.  Having said that, if you had indicated your "hunger" to us, we would have been more than happy to do our best to accommodate you.

8.  We do ask our guests to throw the toilet paper in the trash bins, and on a point of interest, this is a practice you typically do throughout latin america and asia. Our system is very sensitive to toilet paper and can cause no end of problems.  The toilet paper trash bins have a lid, and are emptied every morning when we service the rooms.  We are happy to empty it more often upon request.

We do our best to be up-front as possible on our website about what to expect when booking with us.   I wish we could have done better for you.

Blessings
Yogi Aaron
Owner and Yoga Director of Blue Osa
Asheville, North Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 7, 2013

I had no previous experience with Costa Rica, so I was a virgin to the hospitable culture as well as to The Blue Osa Yoga Retreat. I was with my partner attending a yoga retreat and as you might imagine from the website, it's a perfect place for such an event. The group was great, the room was beautiful and an excellent beach - practically private. Truly one of my best vacations ever. I've always been a fan of the Big Island, but traveling from the East coast - it's just too long of a journey for a week. Costa Rica was a short 4 hour flight to San Jose from Charlotte, NC and then a small plane connection to the Osa Peninsula. Better to arrive a day before your retreat for an overnight in San Jose. Not much to see or do in San Jose, but it makes for an easier trip. I preferred Nature Air for the local flight even though it's at a different airport. Less restrictions on luggage weight and the taxi trip is about 25 minutes from almost anywhere in San Jose.

The food and staff are equally as fantastic. It's was Valentines Day during our visit and the staff made our room especially beautiful as a surprise for my partner. Very sweet!

I feel like I will visit The Blue Osa many times in the future. I personally think that visiting a place as remote as The Blue Osa, it's best done as a group retreat. However, I spend a lot of time alone (too much) and I loved the group energy. That's just a personal preference.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Roger P
Truckee, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 1, 2013

Blue Osa is on a beach in the southeast of the Osa Peninsula. One morning I counted 18 scarlet macaws flying overhead in a 1.5 hour period. There are a gazillion green parrots, and seemingly 10 x as many howler monkeys who make a cacophony of noise, but are actually really cute black monkeys. Sitting by the lap pool after swimming I looked up and realized there were 4 Toucans in the tree above me. Yet, what makes Blue Osa an amazing place, are the people who work there. Aaron, the co-owner, has done an amazing job in attracting exceptionally kind and efficient people. Paul is bursting with personality and humor. Michael, the young administrator, is quite simply the most helpful and kind administrator I have ever encountered. He ran the Blue Osa flawlessly when Aaron was away for a few days. Marie, the French chef, is phenomenal, as are her assistant chefs. Every meal is a treat. Nago, the taxi driver, has a wealth of information about the environment and the locale, if you speak Spanish. And don't forget Jesus, a masseuse from a family of traditional healers and medical doctors, who is so in tune with the body that he finds things that others have missed and helps to resolve them. Most importantly, Blue Osa is an ideal place for quiet, reflection and yoga. David Moreno's yoga retreat was masterful. And the surfing was fun, too.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
#6 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez
La Chosa del Manglar
La Chosa del Manglar
#7 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa? Share your experiences!