“Excellent Lodging on the Osa”
Review of Las Islas Lodge

Las Islas Lodge
Ranked #5 of 15 Hotels in Puerto Jimenez
Melbourne, Australia
“Excellent Lodging on the Osa”
Reviewed December 30, 2011

I was initially underwhelmed when we rolled up to Las Islas because I was hoping that non-hotel amenities (food) would be more easily available and the Lodge is about a mile away from PJ. After picking up some groceries and dinner on the first night, I think that one of the best attributes of Las Islas is that mile buffer.

We relaxed by the pool while toucans swooped in to check out the mango tree. You can hear the howler monkeys in the surrounding bush. The people running Las Islas both in the office and who run excursions on their behalf were excellent and genuinely friendly. The restaurant is closed in the off-season and it makes no difference because the adjoining lodge/ restaurant is run by people who bent over backwards for our young family.

Rooms were comfortable with high ceilings and good A/C.

One tip: If you make excursions other than the obvious one to Corcovado, get a guide. Juan Carlos was excellent and I wish that we'd had him with us on our trip to Matapalo. The guides know the sounds and the preferred foods of the animals and you will therefore see a lot of what you'd normally miss.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
2 Thank rtwwith3kids

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
  • Hebrew first
Ottawa, Canada
Reviewed December 29, 2011

I went to Las Islas Lodge in early December of this year and stayed 4 days and I received the best service I had ever received at any hotels in my life. First off I got picked up at the airport and then the Taxi driver brought me to the grocery store and waited for me to do my shopping and brought me back to the hotel and to my surprise the taxi was free and paid by the hotel. Each day Maria and Oscar went out of their way to provide items and any request I had. While staying at the hotel I decided to do a 2 nights 3 day trip and Corcovado Jungle and my first night in Corcovado was the last night at the hotel and Maria arranged that I could change my last night to when I returned free of charged. They moved my luggage to another room. When I went on trips they provided me with bug spray, spoon. Oscar even drove me to the bus station to get a ticket and then next morning got up at 4:45 AM to pick me up at my room and drive me to the bus station. They treat you like family. I highly recommend them and the hotel. I also highly recommend Juan Carlos as a personal tour guide. Great person. Very knowledgeable.

Thanks and May GOD bless you,

• Stayed December 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Stephane L
Reviewed December 16, 2011

We recommend everyone to stay hete
Forget the expensive lodges like the blue osa where the service for trying to stay there was very unpersonal and disappointing
At las islas the people give great service, are more than kind and THE habitaciones are lovely big and very clean
We've been picked up along THE dirtroads many times By THE locals while we were walking in THE rain
Not By THE big cars of THE expensive lodges though They just let you stand there and drive very fast nearby
Costa Rica is à very Nice country with very Nice people
Pitty to See THE expensive companies take over without any feeling for THE Costarican ways
Karin and peter

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank Cathapetrus
Indianapolis
Reviewed December 1, 2011

My first time to the Osa region which ended up to be the favorite part of my Costa Rica trip in large part due to our stay at Las Islas Lodge and the hospitality of Maria and Oscar. First the rooms are large, modern, with A/C, a small refrig and immaculately clean. Set among pretty garden landscaping the small pool was a welcome treat after a long day, hiking in the jungle. Customer service is supreme here. When I needed to make a non-emergent visit to the local health clinic, Oscar personally drove us there and stayed to assist with the interpreting. Likewise, the rest of the staff, were always checking in with us to ensure all our needs were being met. The location is a short 15 minute walk to town and/or the beach (or a $2.00 taxi fare) and is close to many restaurants. Las Islas is an exceptional value and I will be staying there again, when I return to Osa. Ask for Juan Carlos if you are interested in doing some guided bird/annimal spotting trips or want to have a very special experience hiking in the jungle to visit a real Costa Rican organic farm and have a special lunch.

Room Tip: We were in #2 and loved it as it was close to the pool, but very quiet. Nice chairs and benches out...
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
Denver, Colorado
Reviewed September 19, 2011

My wife and I started our honeymoon at teh Las Islas Lodge the end of July, 2011. We cannot say enough good things about Las Islas. Maria, the office manager is wonderful to work with. She helped us with our arrival and departure plans and was att he airport to pick us up upon our arrival. Whenever we needed anything, Maria was ready and willing to assist. The staff at the lodge were exceptional. Our room was always super clean and comfortable. The gardener was there in an instant to assist with our needs.....he even brought us candles on a super stormy night when power had been knocked out. Teh grounds were immaculate and the cabins dry and comfortable. Oscar, the owner was incredible. He went above and beyond to make our stay wonderful. From our deep sea fishing adventure to having a chilled bottle of champage waiting in our room as a suprise, he was a great host. We can't wait for our next trip to Costa RIca. The Las Islas Lodge will be on our list for another stay when we make it back!

Bill and Timberley

Room Tip: ASk to stay in back if possible for more privacy and further from the road
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
los angeles
Reviewed May 14, 2011

Have visited the Osa a few times & always stayed here. This lodge has a private feel that is immediately inviting. Very clean and close to both fishing & eco attractions. Oscar, the owner is a charismatic guy who greets you with the warmth of an old friend. He makes sure your visit is an enjoyable one with a personal touch. Amazing fishing captain with a great sense of humor & extremely knowledgeable about local life & wildlife.

Have never caught as many different kinds of monster fish in my life. Incredible fishing on a coastline that is breathtaking.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank westcoastcaster
New York
Reviewed May 8, 2011

Las Islas Lodge is aesthetically pleasing with a location near the water and the airport. The rooms are clean, modern and well equipped. But what really impressed me was the service the Lodge provided in arranging all the details of our fishing trip, including adjusting to unforeseen last minute travel changes. These problems were handled calmly and efficiently without extra cost. The all-inclusive package included home cooked meals which used local ingredients including freshly caught fish cooked as well as any I have had. The kitchen was able to meet the special dietary needs of a traveler with a severe dairy allergy. I have fished many locations across the USA and Canada, and have never experienced the abundance and variety of fish I came across during this fishing trip, led by the Maestro's Captain, Oscar. He has a personal touch and is thorough in his trip planning. He seems to know everyone. His fish stories are great. The entire experience was highly enjoyable.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled with friends
#2 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez
Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
Blue Osa Yoga Retreat and Spa
#1 of 15 in Puerto Jimenez

Been to Las Islas Lodge? Share your experiences!