Punta Marenco Lodge
Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge(Corcovado National Park)
$390
  • Beachfront
Luna Lodge(Carate)
$173
  • Pool
Hotel Las Brisas(Punta Arenas)
$99
$155
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Tioga(Punta Arenas)
TripAdvisor
All reviewsscarlet macawscano islandnational wildlife refugenice mixhour walkthe entire tripwhite faced monkeyshighlight of our trippura vidano air conditioningyour feetamazing locationan adventuregeneratoroceantourslodge
Reviewed March 25, 2009

Stayed 5 days at Punta Marenco. Nothing fancy but for $65 per day including meals was a great value. The staff was very friendly and the food well prepared. The location is up on a hill overlooking Isla De Cano and behind the lodge is a 1500 plus acre virgin rainforest preserve. Pedro in who handles logistics in San Jose was also very helpful in arranging transport and permits for our two night stay at the Sierna Ranger station in Corcovado National Park. The wildlife and bird watching around the lodge is excellent.

• Stayed: March 2009, traveled with friends
1  Thank dwingo
Reviewed February 1, 2009

Se also Swede1102 since I wont repete his very correct comments.
We were four adults, four girls (13,14,14,15 years) and one boy (9) - all were very satisfied and rated the lodge as one of the very best we visist in four continents.
Sitting on the veranda, you have a magnificent view of the ocean (if lucky you can spot whales and dolphines), of the forrest in the valley and of cause the beautiful lodge area. I could sit there for hours - so could you if you can accept the beer being not so cold the hours before the generator is switched on.
The family that runs the lodge and the staff is creating a very genuin hospitable atmosphere - but they never come closer than you want to. Besides that their strength is being guides, in the forrest, when snorkling or whenever you want to be in the nature.
The beach, is as close to paradise beach you can have so close to a housing. Normaly empty or just a couple of others.

You must like nature to love this lodge but nature is not brought into the one room cottages - it's clean and very convinient even if rather basic.

A trip to Serena is realy recomended but stay over night, otherwise you probably miss the tapirs. And bring a guide - it's worth it (in general a good advice since you then discover and experience much more then with only your own city eyes). The ranger station in Serena is very very basic but what a nature!

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled with family
Reviewed January 19, 2009

Punta Marenco is a great place if you want to experience the wilderness at its best. The rustic cabins are basically a cage of mosquito netting, with a thatched roof, providing air circulation. The scarlet macaws and the toucans woke us up every morning, if the other birds had not already done so. Mosquito nets do not work well as a sound barrier... The breeze through the room made A/C unnecessary.

Knowledgable guides were available and took us on great nature walks. A snorkelling trip to Cano Island was included in the price, and we traded our day at San Pedrillo for an overnight stay at Sirena Ranger Station for an extra fee.

The food was typical Costa Rican fare with a decent breakfast, a proper lunch, and a three course dinner. Juice or tea was provided whereas sodas were $2, beer $4 and cocktails $7.

Please, note that you can not buy any snacks whatsoever at the lodge, so any munchies must be brought in by yourself.

Bathrooms were fine. Who needs hot water anyway when it's hot and humid?

Punta Marenco has a paradise beach only five minutes walking down the hill. The beach was swimable, but I assume that the swells can be pretty rough at times. We had no problems with that whatsoever.

If I try really hard to find a complaint, I would say that the activities could be disorganized at times. I have to give the staff the benefit of the doubt, however. With so many people passing through the lodge, staying different number of nights, I understand it can be tricky to mix and match which guests are doing which activity on what day. Combine this with lack of access to boats and wheather conditions, and you will occasionall have guests who won't get to do all activities.

Ileana and her boys did a great job to make sure that everyone got the most out of their stay at Punta Marenco.

If you want a true wilderness experience, although a comfortable one, this is your place. If you are looking for a great pool scene and resort type vacation, look elsewhere.

• Stayed: January 2009
1  Thank swede1102
Reviewed December 24, 2008

My husband and I just returned from a two week trip in CR. Punta Marenco Lodge was definitely the highlight! The lodge is remote and the location incredible. Our only complaints would be a lack of safety deposit box (you have to leave valuables with manager), the unrepaired torn screens in our cabin, and the lack of life jackets on the boat from Sierpe to the lodge (it was extremely rough).
Ileana (hostess) and Steven (naturalist guide) were excellent. The food was great, the beach pristine. Who needs hot water when it's over 90 degrees out?
We met lovely people from all over the globe who were seeking the same adventure we were. We saw whales, dolphins, tamanduas, spider monkeys, howler monkers, capuchin monkeys, toucans, macaws, coatis, and more lizards than I can count! I don;t know if it was due to the summer season just beginning, but we didn't get any bug bites.

• Stayed: December 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 5, 2008

My family and friends booked a trip to Punta Marenco lodge this past August. I had been there a few years before with my mom and found Corcovado and Punta Marenco lodge to be one of the most spectacular places I've ever been to, so I had to return with my dad, sister and friends. We rented a car from Manuel Antonio and took the most scenic beautiful drive down the coast through lots of villages and farm towns, to the little fishing town of Sierpe. the Vegas restaurant is right on the Sierpe river and if you ask them, they will park your vehicle for a fee (6 dollars per night) while you stay in corcovado. We then took the 2 hour boat ride down the river, viewing crocodiles and mangrove swamps. the boat ride in itself was a 2 hour tour! We arrived at Punta marenco lodge and were greated by the staffers there. They carried our luggage up to the top of the hill where the bungaloes are and saw us to our rooms. If you are used to luxury, you won't like Punta Marenco because it is very "robinson crusoe" like. But I loved it. The power goes off every night at nine and you feel like you are sleeping right in the jungle, listening to all the sounds of the crikets and frogs. it put me right to sleep.
The view from our balcony was AMAZING! I woke up to playful monkeys in the trees right outside our balcony. I walked out to see and I saw scarlet macaws flying over the tree tops, with the glistening blue ocean in the back ground. What a sight to wake up to! They feed everyone at scheduled times and the food was pretty decent.
We decided to save money and not do a guided tour, so we talked to the hotel manager and she hooked us up with a local guide who had a boat and we payed him a flat fee to take us around to different snorkel spots off Caño Island. She knew we would be gone for lunch so she packed us all a bag lunch with 3 different sandwhiches and fruit, and gave us a cooler with ice cold lemonade for the day. I thought that was so sweet.
It was so awsome not having to share a boat with random people and on the way out to the island we saw tons of dolphins, sea turtles, and whales! when he saw how excited we got over seeing the whales he went off course and took us closer. we saw a mother with her baby and we got tons of video and pics of it. right when we put our cameras away and started heading back towards the island, a huge whale jumped out of the water and splashed our boat! we were so amazed and we all missed the shot, because we thought we were done. It was amazing to see a whale that close up and this wasn't even a whale watching tour.
We brought our own snorkel gear and he dropped us at a nice spot to see some fish. We played on the beach of Caño island and hiked arounda little and got back in the boat where he then took us to one of the gate entrances to the national park on the mainland. can't remember the name of the ranger station but there was a nice hike to an awsome waterfall and he waited there while we explored and took pictures for an hour or so.
He broght us back to the lodge once we had our fill of fun and we ate supper with the rest of the vacationers and exchanged our stories.
Over all I think it is definitely worth the money to stay for a few days. There are ways to cut costs by driving to sierpe like we did and by hiring a local to give you a private tour, instead of paying the high prices to to do the guided group tour. But either way, you are paying to have one of the most memorable vacations of your life in a tropical paradise teaming with wildlife and adventure.

P.S. one last tip. If you stay here you MUST bring the strongest bug repellant known to man! it is the middle of the jungle and the bugs are fierce!

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends