Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge
If you like this hotel, you might also be interested in
Luna Lodge(Carate)
$207
Priceline
Alamar Aparthotel(Punta Arenas)
$87
  • Pool
Hotel Las Brisas(Punta Arenas)
$99
  • Breakfast included
Hotel Tioga(Punta Arenas)
Hotels.com
  • Pool
All reviewssunset barwet landinghowler monkeyscano islandsan joseboat tripthe riverfishoutdoor showercosta ricathe pacific oceanceiling fanmargarita bartractor ridepicnic lunchhot waterpalmar sur
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 25, 2014

The bungalow rooms of Casa Corcovado are set in a beautiful garden carved out of the rain forest and it is completely surrounded by the forest but only a short distance from the sea. This is a great experience from the attentive and pleasant reception area on the river in Sierpe where you are collected for the boat ride to the hotel to the hikes in the rain forest. It is amazing what can be achieved when you are in a location with no mains electricity and everything has to be brought in by small boats landing through the surf on the beach. The food is excellent and the staff unfailing friendly and helpful. I suggested 2 areas of improvement whilst I was there: most of the waiting staff seem to lack confidence and need better training and something must be done to improve communications across the large area covered by the hotel ( because my wife had a broken foot, we were stranded at the beach for too long waiting for the tractor to take us up the steep hill to the main area because there was no way to communicate between the beach and reception). From a safety point of view the guides should also have radios to communicate with reception should there be an accident whilst they are taking groups into the rainforest or to Isla de Cano. Implementing these 2 small suggestions would complete a really execellent hotel. The manager/son of the owner,Stephen, is always very helpful and willing to whatever he can to help.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Glyn12
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 27, 2014

I'm glad that these guests from England found the Hotel to be very comfortable but I am a little unhappy that he felt that there was a problem with radio communication. We do have a radio installed at the ''Boat House'' on the beach and all of our guides are supposed to carry a hand-held radio on all tours. We have always made a big effort and investment in our radio equipment. Just by chance as I write this we are waiting for our new generation of radios to arrive tomorrow [some friends are bringing them in thier luggage]. We are expecting 20 hand- held and 2 base radios which should fix any problems that we have with communications. Steven Lill / owner

Reviewed February 13, 2014

This was to be one of the highlights of our trip and it didn't disappoint. The boat ride to get to the lodge was fascinating, and our guide, Leo, spotted all sorts of fascinating things along the way. The sea was a little choppy on the day of our arrival, which meant that the wet arrival was a little trickier than we expected as the boat moored a little further ou, where the sea bed was stony. We both nearly lost our balance but a strong arm from the staff came to our rescue. We were all greeted individually by the manager, Steven, who was always attentive during our stay. The bungalow surpassed our expectations, with many lovely touches. Yes, the water pressure is low, but this is an isolated spot in the jungle. What do you expect.
The grounds were beautiful and full of wildlife.
We were very impressed by the quality and quantity of food. Ok, there was the odd dish that didn't quite work, but it must be really difficult to get good staff here given the isolation and Steven was clearly doing his best to train his staff accordingly.
The range of drinks was excellent, especially the cocktail list, and very reasonably priced.
Our excursions were fascinating. They have been described in other reviews so I won't repeat. The guides were lovely. Dedicated and knowledgeable.
You just have to remember where you are and any minor niggles seem insignificant. We loved it.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
4  Thank Greenings
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

"Heaven on Earth'' doesn't exist but I always thought that God did an excellent job in Corcovado, I just have been helping him with some of the details like, cold beers and swimming pools. Love it when people have a great stay. Steven Lill / owner

Reviewed February 3, 2014

Yes, Casa Corcovado is very expensive on our middle class scale. But, the isolated setting on the Osa Peninsula abutting Corcovado National Park is unique considering the luxury of the resort. The staff were well informed, friendly and attentive. Manager, Steven, can and will accomplish wonders. Guide, Jacob, is intelligent, informed in lots of areas and sensitive to guest's needs and questions. The food is artistically presented in a fantastic setting but lacks freshness and quality preparation. Tours become an integrated part of the daily experience and are thoughtfully planned. We stayed 7 days and 6 nights. We especially enjoyed the international community of guests. We could have stayed longer.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Jon D

I know that sometimes Casa Corcovado can seem expensive but to produce our quality product in the middle of the jungle where there is only boat access is costly and takes a big team. We are over 40 people on the team. I'm glad Jo and his wife enjoyed their stay with us. Steven Lill / owner

Reviewed January 28, 2014

I work in the conservation field and I first visited Casa Corcovado about 14 years ago with a friend also in the profession. Rainy season, few tourist, had place practically to ourselves. We had a great trip. So suddenly it's 2013 and I find myself again researching a trip to Costa Rica and in the position of planning a family vacation that will meet the needs of a six year old, a husband who desperately needs to decompress from a hectic job and likes luxury and myself who is all wildlife all the time forget about comforts.

So many beautiful National Parks, Private Reserves and beaches in Costa Rica. So much wildlife to see and suddenly very real concerns regarding areas being too commercial, over developed and cutting off much needed wildlife corridors necessary for the parks resident populations.

The more I read, the more I realized I was going to find myself skipping some once beautiful hot spots and returning to the Osa.

I wasn't sure how he would respond but sat my husband down for the "we are not going to the Four Seasons" talk. When he saw me purchase a mosquito head net for our son, "just in case" he was guarded but open enough to be on board. In anticipation of the wildlife we might see, I proceeded to purchase another pair of binoculars for him and my son because I am not prone to sharing mine.

The trip to the lodge is elaborate involving a smallish plane and a boat ride that last a couple of hours through mangroves and take a left when you get to the Pacific Ocean. When you reach the grounds you cannot help but marvel at how this all could have been built without roads and very limited boat access. (as in they are dodging rock outcrops just prior to wet-landing) My husband was stunned. I found myself reflecting on the building of pyramids which he reminded were built by slaves...I later, back in Seattle, heard him describe Casa Corcovado on the phone to a friend as Eco Jungle Luxury. Well said. We spent 5 nights and had three days out and about in the park (both San Pedrillo and Sirena stations) and also had two stay-and-play days, where I hiked the trails and my son and husband enjoyed the pool, the grounds, and the hammocks on the beautiful beach.

While I am sure there are plenty of species to be seen in the park and not on Casa Corcovado's immediate grounds, with the exception of squirrel monkeys and one crocodile, there is not one other species that we saw in the park that we did not see on the grounds. This includes, anteaters, sloths, white faced capuchins, howler and spider monkeys, coati, toucans, scarlet macaws, a tayra and yes, the beloved tapir that munched and strolled it's way precisely through our yard at 1:15 a.m. on our second night there. I could hear it walking and chewing and my eyes popped open in bed with the certainty that there was a big ungulate in our yard! Later I realized, I was barefoot (I do not recommend this) in my p.j.s out of my mind excited with my husband beside me (true love:) and presto, a wildlife moment we are never going to forget. Don't worry we did not approach or get overly close to any wildlife despite the knowledge that I was having a perfect life moment.

Incidentally, when were raced outside to see the tapir with flashlights scanning the yard, my husband says "There's an anteater right here" which at any other time would have been the days/nights highlight but under the circumstances I had to figure out which way the tapir went...

Our guide Leo was amazing. Conservation minded, knowledgable, attentive, dedicated, patient, kind with a clear reverence for the natural world. The rest of the staff was also fantastic. Everyone was warm and kind to our kidlet with the kitchen pulling through with the much needed pasta with butter on an occasion or two when the menu met the adult palate but was tricky for a child. The meals were impressive and hit the spot.

We came armed with natural bug repellant (and that head net net, just in case) and it went unused. Mosquitos were a non-issue. Only sand flies at the beach were on issue one day in the park. I am not sure why the mosquitos were not present and chalk it up to an intact ecosystem where birds, bats, frogs and other insects are working their magic eating them all.

I and now my husband, both HIGHLY recommend this lodge. It is luxury meets jungle and you need to remember that. Some times the luxury prevails and at times the jungle does. There were moments when our bungalow had brief visitors of the exoskeleton variety but I will leave it at that. Did I mention it's a jungle out there? Know before you go!

Hats off the owner who pulled this conservation minded vision off way back when when eco tourism was in its infancy and before everyone jumped on the buzz word and bandwagon. Hats off to the dedicated staff that is continuing to make this happen. They are doing a great job balancing and meeting the needs of the wide range of people visiting them for this extra ordinary jungle experience.

Room Tip: We stayed in bungalow 9 which is not particularly close to the dinning areas and pool BUT we did have the tapir, anteater and coati right in our yard!
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank smanet
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 4, 2014

We, at Casa Corcovado, do try and meet the needs of sometimes very diferent people who are staying with us at the Hotel and many times people who are traveling together as a group or as a family. We try to be a balance of a true '' Nature Lodge" with a touch of luxury. I liked the comment that my clients saw the same animals on the Hotels grounds as in the National Park. I was very pleased that they got to have thier '' Perfect Life Moment '' seeing the Tapir behind the cabin. I was happy we were able to please the husband and he didn't have to suffer '' Luxury Resort '' withdrawal symptoms, as a matter of fact we have just been named, one of '' THE 10 BEST LUXURY HOTELS IN COSTA RICA '' by all of you on Trip Advisor. All of our team are very proud, a big hat's off to our incredible staff! Steven Lill / owner

Reviewed January 25, 2014

Stayed here with my brother for 3 nights at the end of a sixteen day tour of Costa Rica. I cannot praise this property, all the staff, rooms, food, grounds, surroundings, location, incredible wildlife, beautiful scenery and organised activities highly enough. Outstanding service and friendliness from everyone (Bar and restaurant team unbeatable). incredible knowledge of guides, we had Leo and Jacob (thank you), Pilots of boats wow!!!!! I thought the Royal Navy were good.

I will be back with more of my family.

Costa Rica and its people are incredible. Thank you so much.

Mark Smith UK

Room Tip: Turn up!! All rooms have good location. Don't expect air conditioning, there are fans. Hot water is limited and you don't need it. Save energy and water. Take a cold shower and you will feel better.
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled with family
4  Thank MArk S

I'm happy thay Mark and his brother had such an excellent stay with us and I hope he comes back with the rest of his family someday [I hope he has a big family]. I'll pass on the comment about the Royal Navy to the captains of our boats, I'm sure they'll like it. Steven Lill / owner