“Contemporary accommodation in the Jungle”

Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed December 21, 2013

Stayed 3 nights in a tastefully decorated bungalow. Food was very good but may become a little repetitive if a longer stay is planned. We did the jungle walk with Freddie who was an excellent guide and very knowledgable on the local wildlife. Even though we were the only English speakers in a group of 8 he took the time to explain in detail everything there was to see in the Corcovado national park. The picnic was delicious. In general mealtimes were set; dinner was at 7pm and we were always told in advance when we should arrive for breakfast. One day we were told we would be doing the trip to Cano Island which included snorkelling - as my husband can't swim we were less than keen. We stayed behind and had the hotel to ourselves as everyone else went on a trip or checked out. The hotel cooked lunch for us at a time which was convenient to us. We did walk both if the trails. On the rainforest trail we saw Spider monkeys and heard Howler monkeys. We thought we would end up leaving without seeing Cappucins but spotted these on our last day down by the Sunset viewing spot. We also saw Coatis as we walked along the beach and we were advised that dusk is a good time to see Wildlife from this point if the property. Our trip was perhaps only tainted by our high expectations that we would see wildlife around every corner and since many reviews on tiripadvisor give the impression that wildlife is so abundant in this part of Costa Rica that a monkey may run off with your sunglasses if your not looking I thought it was important to correct this perception. We stayed in Costa Rica for 12 days and nearly didn't see Cappucins at all (and it wasn't for won't of trying)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Claire O
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 23, 2013

I always hope that my guests see lots of wildlife but that is obviously very hard to predict, I love it when we see something exciting like last year we had many Puma encounters and I remember one pic-nic lunch at our beach when a Tapir almost sat at the table with us, to have a salad, I imagine. I also love it when we see lesser known creatures like, Tayras, Grison, big groups of Great Currasow and Tinamou. There is always something interesting to see, great but many times small, such is life in the rainforest. Steven Lill / owner

Reviewed December 18, 2013

From beginning to end, our Casa Corcovado experience was amazing. Freddy met us at the airstrip and escorted us along with four others to the boat waiting to take us to paradise. The boat ride down the Sierpe River and along the coast was itself marvelous, with several species of wildlife spotted (they brought us alongside for pictures) and a beautiful ride through mangroves and along the rocky jungle coast. The arrival at the beach landing confirmed to us all that this was going to be incredible. All the new guests could sense it.

Lunch was excellent - salad, salmon with cream sauce, and local side dishes). All of the food was very good and made from fresh, including fine dining and local dishes with traditional ingredients. We thoroughly enjoyed going to dinner with everyone else at the dinner bell. We had our own well-appointed table but people could share their experiences in the restaurant and good feelings infused the room; we got to know some great people during the stay. The guides would come along to each table and explain their activities/tours for the next day. .

Freddy guided us on the rainforest and snorkeling tour (more later) and possessed excellent knowledge on the rainforest and snorkeling tours (more later) as well as impeccable character. Everyone at the lodge was great and seemed more like friends than staff. The manager Steve was very friendly and professional; word is, he intends to set up some permaculture and garden plots nearby, which would be a pioneering effort in that area to grow some of their own food.

The bungalow was awesome, with the perfect blend of rustic and artistic, set in a private location surrounded by tropical landscaping. Loved the screened in setting and the temperature was perfect for sleeping at night. Woke up to howler monkeys every morning and a musical orchestra from the tropical birds.

If you want the ultimate rainforest hike, do the Serena Ranger Station hike. The boat ride at 7:00 am literally took my breath away as we rounded the first point and viewed the majestic rocky jungle coast with morning mist still clinging. Flocks of brown boobies glided, wheeled, and dove about. We viewed dolphins and a sea turtle and visited a waterfall for pictures, then a fascinating rocky cove. The hike itself was incredible, with no less than 20 species of birds and mammals spotted (many were photographed) including a tapir, toucans, and 3 species of monkey. Being a biologist, the Corcovado National Park was incredible to me. Giant trees, epiphytic and ground-dwelling bromeliads, flowering hibiscus, tiny orchids, huge lianas, and magnificent clear streams...with the sounds of healthy and diverse fauna habitat...made for an overwhelming experience.

The snorkeling trip was great. Another bit of praise here for the very skilled boat drivers. On the ride to Cano Island we saw several spotted dolphins and sea birds. Beautiful clear water was teeming with colorful fish; we even saw a sea turtle. We got to rest and explore the beautiful beach of Cano Island after snorkeling, then returned to the lodge where a buffet lunch was awaiting us on their private beach. Oh, almost forgot...3 scarlet macaws landed in some nut-bearing trees that grow along the coast in that region and proceeded to forage in the branches and eat nuts right in front of us. Amazing!

We spent our final afternoon at the magnificent private beach. Even the walk to the beach is gorgeous and exhilarating. Even with beach chairs and hammocks tucked among the palms, the place seemed like a wilderness paradise. A waterfall splashes down the hillside about 100 yards from shore and meanders down the beach and into the ocean, scouring sand into picturesque mini bluffs with rounded rocks exposed. The sunset was unforgettable.

We were sad to go. Next time we'll stay longer.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank J P
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 20, 2013

I'm glad that these guests had an amazing time with us at Casa Corcovado. I have to say this is a pretty amazing review. I like the fact that they made new friends and really enjoyed the beach, which is probably my favorite place in the world. Thank you for such nice comments. Steven Lill / owner

Reviewed December 15, 2013

This is our second trip to Casa Corcovado. We were there in 2010 and returned the first week of December. The hotel not only lived up to our wonderful memories but exceeded them and my husband and I are already trying to figure out when we can go back again.
This time we took my mother to celebrate her 65th birthday. She sometimes has some issues walking and we found everyone very accommodating and helpful to make sure that she had just as wonderful of an experience as everyone else.
We stayed for 6 nights (I would have stayed for weeks if I could). We toured the national park, Cano island, went horseback riding on San Josecito beach, went to Sirena ranger station and had a day just to enjoy the hotel grounds and beach.
We are major wildlife lovers and saw so much while we were there. On the grounds alone we saw coati, scarlet macaws, howler monkeys, sloths, capuchin monkeys, toucans, and numerous frogs, birds and butterflies. On our day off (which was one of the best days) my mother was relaxing in a hammock on the beach and 4 scarlet macaws landed in the tree above her to eat almonds. It is probably one of the best experiences of her life.
While we did a lot when we were here in 2010, this was the first time my husband and I went to Sirena. I highly recommend it. We saw an anteater which I had never seen before, spider monkeys, squirrel monkeys, capuchin monkeys, howler monkeys, tiger heron, trogon, iguana, blue heron, hummingbirds, coati, etc. etc. etc. We will definitely be back and I think we will even camp there a night or two so I can see my elusive tapir.
The staff is wonderful. Leo was our guide for most of the trip. He was very conscious of my mother needing a slower speed and offered a helping hand for getting in and out of the boat, etc. He was extremely flexible to take us on a last minute night hike, morning bird watch, etc. He even gave us good tips for finding the wildlife on our own when he was not around. Jacob was our guide to Sirena. He was very nice also and worked very hard to make sure he found us as much wildlife as possible. Rudy, Jose and Alejandro were our food/ drink staff and they always had a big smile. Alfonso is the manager and although you can tell he takes his job very seriously, he is equally funny, charming and so very welcoming. He told me several times to think of the resort as my home.
The grounds are amazing. The beach is beautiful. The rooms are lovely. The pools are great. Everything was clean and inviting.
I want to note some improvements from our last trip. They have remodeled the shower in the bungalow and it is definitely very beautiful. I love the view of outside. The food was good before but even better this time. We did not have a bad meal/ course. I had the best mahi mahi of my life for lunch after our San Josecito trip.
We love to travel and rarely go to the same place twice but are definitely already talking about when we can get back to Casa Corcovado and what we want to do when we get there. It truly is a paradise for those passionate about nature and wildlife.

• Stayed: December 2013, traveled with friends
1  Thank Naturetravelers
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded December 17, 2013

It is always a big compliment when we have return guests.There are so many great places in the World to travel that we are very pleased when we see ''old friends'' return to Casa Corcovado. I'm glad that these clients liked the changes that we have made and brought thier Mother with them so she could enjoy the experience also. It was nice to have a chance to sit down and have a talk with them and I hope to see them on thier next trip. Steven Lill/owwner

Reviewed October 4, 2013

Our trip to Costa Rica concluded with a 5 day stay in this very special place. The two hour journey by boat was exhilarating and started to prepare us for the 'away from it all' experience of this wonderful, authentic jungle holiday. No where that we have stayed previously has left us so relaxed and completely recharged our ' batteries'. We travelled on the boat with food and other supplies, alongside staff returning after their regular break at home. To be met by tractor for the long, steep climb from the beach and all our luggage transferred seem lesley to our bungalow set the tone for the unobtrusive, yet meticulous care we received. Every member of staff was welcoming, happy and eager to help us in any way possible. The food was excellent and taken in superb surroundings. Even our al fresco dining during walking trips into the jungle, prepared by our guides, was superb. Our bungalow was private and provided all we needed, including an unlimited supply if drinking water. Watching the magnificent sunsets from the bar before total darkness descended was thrilling. The sounds of the jungle every night as we fell asleep were magical and it was a privilege to feel part of this protected ecological environment. The guided walks, day and night, brought us in contact with many plants and animals that we would not have seen had we not stayed in Corcovado. Our hearts were sad as we boarded the boat to return to the hustle and bustle of life. There is nothing that could have improved upon and we will certainly include Corcovado in our next visit to Costa Rica, indeed a hidden gem.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Bolnuevo7
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded October 8, 2013

These visitors from the UK, mentioned something very important, the sounds at night when you return to your bungalow for a good nights sleep. The bungalows are spread around the gardens so at night you shouldn't hear your neighbors or any sound that is out of place. Just the sounds of the rainforest all around you. It's an amazing and sometimes humbling experience. Steven Lill/owner

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Where to start, well I suppose it starts at Pavos Airfield, a short flight, a short car ride and then a 2 hour trip down the river and along the coast. What a start and you've not even reached the best bit.
I've read a number of the previous reviews and noted the various moans. If you don't want bugs in your room don't go to the rain forest. If you want an a la carte menu, don't go to a 14 room lodge in the middle of a rain forest.
I spent 4 night at Casa Corcovado and I cannot fault the lodge, the staff, the food or the rain forest. My room, no8, was excellent. No it didn't have WiFi, or air con, but I'm in the middle of nowhere, I didn't expect it to, but it was comfortable, roomy and well looked after. No I didn't have an a la carte menu to chose from and with only 14 rooms I didn't expect it, however the food was excellent, well presented and there was plenty of it. The excursions and trips were great, the guides were very knowledgable, friendly and helpful, what more do you want. If you want pampering in 5 star luxury, don't go here, it's not for you. If you want to have a fantastic experience in a rain forest location and be looked after by a great team of people and have some damn good food into the bargin then I would recommend it.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
6  Thank Strider101
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

I don't think I could have written it better, '' Fantastic rainforest experience '', '' Excellent food '' and best of all, '' Being looked after by a great team of people ''. I'm going to post this review in the employee Dining Room, I'm very proud of my guys. Thank you for the comments. Steven Lill / owner

Reviewed September 3, 2013

Casa Corcovado is truly amazing, especially when you consider that it is in the middle of nowhere and everything has been brought in by boat, including all the construction materials, every bit of food, etc. This is a rustic experience but made lovely by many little touches. We had two wonderful bungalows - one for us and one for our two teens. While we could have all fit into one, the "all inclusive" price meant that it cost the same whether we had one bungalow or two (and they had the space), so we had two. With only a bench to unpack onto (no bureaus), I was glad to have the two extra twin beds to lay out my clothes. Follow their advice and bring only "quick dry" material for this trip - due to the humidity level it is pretty much impossible to get anything to dry here unless the sun comes out - in which case every bungalow has a clothesline outside under the eaves on the sunny side of the building (we also put clothes to dry under the ceiling fans using either the bathroom rack or hangers on the canopied bed frame). The bungalows had ceiling fans, screened windows (no small thing in Costa Rica), a well appointed bathroom, and umbrellas outside the door (a necessity to take to dinner, as it usually rained at night).

The staff was amazingly friendly and helpful, though not every problem could always be fixed right away. Neither our kids nor we had any hot water for the first day. We just assumed there wasn't hot water until speaking with some other guests who told us they had the same problem, solved by re-lighting the propane tank that heats the hot water. The problem was resolved while we were out on an excursion for my husband and I, but they could not seem to fix the hot water in my kids bungalow. We were offered a bottle of wine for their inconvenience and the hot water was fixed by the next morning (not sure how much my under age kids benefited from that). Also, when we returned from snorkeling on Cano Island we returned our equipment at the beach, but my sandals were locked in the guide house. No one could unlock it for me that evening - I was told that the guy with the key doesn't live on the property. Really - where does he possibly live?? Someone needs to get a key for the office to unlock the guide house. We had to depart on a boat at 7 a.m. the next morning and I would have liked to clean and dry my sandals the night before in order to pack them . The food was quite good and we thought very authentic. We were offered two choices for dinner every night - the fresh fish was amazing! There are lots of choices for breakfast, and lunch while out on an excursion was very good. The rubber boots provided for hiking were great and a necessity due to the mud, but pay attention to the suggestion to "bring high socks" - we all got rubbed on the leg from the boots. We used the pool every afternoon after our excursions even though it was often starting to rain. Plenty of towels available. At night the pond was full of large frogs, but hey - that's one more wildlife item we saw! We used the lounge area (a separate large screened room) to play cards and bumper pool. There are also magazines and some paper back books that looked like an informal guest book exchange. If you are looking to party, this is not the place to be, and plan on making your own entertainment at night, which was fine for us. The Wi Fi wasn't working (we heard they lost a tower in a storm) and there was a spotty internet connection on a public computer in the office. We generally went to bed early the entire time we were in Costa Rica as the animals and daylight wake you up by 5:30 a.m!! The beds have great reading lamps build right in so bring a book as well.

If you fly to Palma Sur from San Jose (an experience in and of itself on a 12 person plane), MAKE SURE YOU GET YOUR SUITCASE! There were 8 of us on the plane, and the idiot unloading the luggage in Palma Sure left my bag on the plane. When I realized it wasn't laying around the tiny outside terminal, he went to flag down the pilot, but by then the plane was ready to depart again and left with my bag. There is only one plane and one boat a day to Casa Corcovado, so I could not get my bag until late the next day. When my daughter got out of the boat upon arrival, she got hit by a wave and fell in, which got me all wet. So now my one outfit that I am wearing is wet and I have nothing else to wear. I borrowed a bathing suit from my daughter the next day and wore my same wet, smelly clothes to go hiking(not a pretty sight for a 51 year old to wear a bikini belonging to a 16 year old). When we returned from the all day hike, my suitcase had arrived, but a lot of the clothes in the bag were wet! Not sure if it wasn't put in a garbage bag in the boat like it should have been, but again, there is no way to dry clothes here, another problem. I went to the front desk to discuss this, but the manager was hosting a team evaluating the place for something, so the owner's son, covering the desk, wasn't quite sure what they could do about my wet clothes. More stuff hanging around our room to "dry". I want to emphasize that despite these little snafus, we LOVED Casa Corcovado and would recommend it to anyone. We saw monkeys, a tapir, my daughter saw an Ocelot, lots of butterflies, birds, bugs, whales, sea turtles etc. Oscar is a great boat captain, and the hotel staff and guides were great, understood English and helped us improve out Spanish.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
5  Thank Kenwoodtennis

I'm glad these guests '' loved '' Casa Corcovado even though there were some problems. We do try and have a lot of '' little touches '', I'm happy they noticed, as they say '' God, is in the details ''. All of the Bungalows have extendable clothes lines and hooks outside, and many of the Bungalows have another clothes line under the eaves of the roof. Hope they can come back and enjoy the food and especially the fish again someday. Steven Lill / owner

Reviewed September 2, 2013

The nature surrounding the LODGE is out of this world, the guide (Sentia – sorry if the spelling is wrong) had picked us from the airport and gave us all needed information, The family room with 4 beds is very nice and well designed, authentic style, only 14 units is this huge landscape make it luxurious and exclusive. The trips are well organized and the guides are well informative; the picnic is very well prepared by the guide as part of the trip arrangements. Snorkeling trip the 2nd half of august is not the highlight due to visibility and waves. Service in general very pleasant and staff is very helpful.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank Aladin20

Casa Corcovado is a '' World apart, a separate reality '' or as this guest states '' Out of this world ''. We make our world anew everyday, an incredible experience in the middle of the Jungle. We make the electricity light our nights, the cool water flow, the food arrive, the boats to voyage, the tours to run and create a one of a kind experience for our guests. I think what makes our place different from many others is the scale of the undertaking, the size of the property, the gardens, the beach and the '' out of this world '' location. As this client said, to find this hotel with only 14 Bungalows in such '' a huge landscape '' is the most '' luxurious and exclusive '' place you can find. Steven Lill / owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Corcovado National Park
23 mi away
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!