“Trip of a lifetime”

Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 28, 2013

This was the most amazing adventure. My husband and I were celebrating our 30th wedding anniversary and wanted something special. I looked and researched and had lots of maybes, then I read a "National Geographic" article that boasted the Osa Peninsula the most biologically intense place on earth, Corcovado National Park specifically. So, I finally found an area that I was intent on going. I found Casa Corcovado here on Tripadvisor and was drawn by its location to Corcovado National Park as well as the promised adventure of just getting to the location. The small plane ride to Palmar Sur, transportation to the Hacienda and the ride down the Sierpe River to the Lodge itself. It was just as promised! Our Guide Cynthia met us at the airport and escorted us to the Lodge. The boat drivers are phenomenal! We had different ones, Roberto and Oscar who seem to know and read the sea so expertly. We arrived through the most beautiful blue waters crashing on the rocks to see the pristine beach at the Lodge, it was an awesome sight. The men who meet the boat are amazingly adept and like a well oiled machine get people and luggage from the boat and see you safely on your way up the hill in the tractor. As you go up the hill it starts to sink in that you are in the jungle, IN THE JUNGLE! For us the excitement was almost overwhelming! The views are breathtaking, the beautiful plants and flowers, the Scarlet Macaw's, Pelicans and Spider Monkeys overhead, it was unreal! We met with Tyson at the top of the hill. He is amazing! He keeps everyone and everything organized and goes out of his way and above and beyond. He made sure that our stay was over the top amazing. Next we went and had an amazing lunch with the kindest sweetest people I have ever met, Edward and Alonzo! I truly miss their smiling faces and bon a petit! The fresh juices are so good. The lunches and four course dinners are delicious. Then we were taken to our deluxe bungalow where our luggage had been deposited. It was perfect. The gardens were perfect. It was all perfect! I could literally go on and on for days about the scenery, the beautiful ocean, the clear blue waters, the whales, the dolphins, the snorkeling, the hiking in the rainforest, the monkeys, the tapir tracks the pizotes the cave, the bats and yes we saw snakes and hawks and giant toads, white ibis, army ants a sloth just amazing wildlife, but what makes me tear up as I write this are the friends that we made. As I mentioned, Edward, Alonzo and Tyson, so amazing! Our guide Cynthia I mentioned earlier, she was so special to us she is so knowledgeable and friendly and just has an amazing spirit that we connected with on a special level and I pray that I get to see her again! We had another guide Olman who took us horseback riding and snorkeling at San Josecito. The horses belong to Edwards Uncle Gregorio who was the nicest man. If you get the chance while you are there go horseback riding so that you can meet him. The ride and scenery are indescribable! The horses are so well trained to these trails you don’t need to know how to ride! Olman was a great guide and friend to us. He is very knowledgeable and he taught us so much! I pray that we will get to have a drink and tell stories together again! On the night before we left Olman, Tyson, Edward and Alonso surprised us with an anniversary cake and a bottle of wine. These people make this beautiful paradise a step above anything expected, thank you all so much. It has taken me some time to write this, I was torn between wanting to be selfish and keep this experience all to myself for fear that people will spoil this lovely place and wanting to tell everyone this is heaven on earth! I am saving already so we can make it there again someday and I hope that these amazing people are still around. We will have to make it to Claro Del Bosque to see the new organic gardens and go to the Sirena Park Station next time. I can hardly wait!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Suzi2112
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2013

I'm glad we were able to spoil this amazing couple on their 30th wedding anniversary with a little cake and wine. I know that all of our staff go out of their way to spoil our guests, especially when they know they are celebrating a special event, they are great. A special thanks to Cynthia, Edward, Tyson and Alonso. I hope these guests come back and celebrate another wedding anniversary with us and don't wait another 30 years to do it. Happy anniversary to them ! Steven Lill / owner

Reviewed August 21, 2013

Bought as the 4 day package that includes transfers all the way from San Jose, this was an unforgettable experience. From the flight from Sansar hangar at San Jose in a 12 seater (there were only 5 of us) plane where we were met by our guide, to the taxi ride from Palmar Sur airstrip taking us to 'the Hacienda' (a kind of reception area) where we were given drinks and the opportunity to change into shorts and 'water shoes' for the 'wet landing' at the other end. From the small 2 hours on the boat, whizzing down the Rio Sierpe to the place where the river meets the sea and then out into the Pacific Ocean for 40 minutes of feverish whale spotting (none seen on this time unfortunately!), to the rocky landing site, what a driver!!!

Off the boat we were greeted by the jungle 'limo', a big red tractor with a trailer for guests to sit in style while climbing the steep jungle path to the lodge, amazing. Shown straight into lunch by our guide in one of the most picturesque locations we have ever been. The guide couldn't tell us enough information, and showed us round the main areas of the lodge.

We had bungalow 5. a lovely room, well appointed and with all the toiletries you require for the stay, fluffy towels, dressing gowns and torches all supplied.

Speaking of supplies... you don't need to bring...

toiletries, wellies, torches, capes/rainwear, back packs, snorkelling gear, binoculars, 'drybags'!!

You do need to bring mossie spray (although they do sell it there), and suntan lotion (also sold in reception) and some long trousers/shirt for the hike, oh and long socks to stop the wellies chaffing!

Included in the price of the package was - a birdwatching walk around the grounds (starts at 5.30 am and is brill)
- a days walk through the national park (starts at 7am and is brill)
- a days snorkelling trip (starts 7 am, takes an hour to reach the island, but if you are lucky and whales are spotted, you go to see them too!! Humpbacks and spotted dolphins were there for us, and a green Ridley sea turtle. The snorkelling portion was about 1 hour (30 yrds from whales passing) and then a half hour to relax on Cano island beach)

For us the only downfall was the food... you are in the middle of nowhere so have no choice, and as vegetarians we literally had no choice. it was hit and miss with the food, and i don't know how meat eaters fared, but alot of food was left on plates.

I cant recommend Casa Corcovado enough, it is a wonderful place with wonderful staff, thanks to Olman, Cynthia, Leo and all the staff, it's hard to say what you could do to improve...but if i think of anything, i'll let you know!!

Thanks again, AMAZING!!

Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

Our area of the Southern Pacific coast of Costa Rica is the only spot in the World that receives migrations of Humpback Whales from both the Arctic and Antarctic waters. They come at different times of the year so our guests have a good chance to spot whales. The Humpbacks that come from the Antarctic have recently been recognized as the mammals that undertake the longest migration known, 16,000 kilometers or almost 10,000 miles! I am disappointed that my guests who were vegetarians were not convinced that we met their special needs, we are aware of our responsibility in such an isolated environment. All of our guests are asked by their guide when they arrive by plane before the boat trip if they have any special dietary needs or restrictions and this information is passed to the Hotel before the guests arrive for lunch. I feel bad that we let them down in this respect but I'm glad that overall they enjoyed their experience with us. Steven Lill / owner

Reviewed August 18, 2013

Stayed here a few years ago and it was a wonderful place. Our guide 'B' was fab and so knowledgeable. Our cabin was spacious and surrounded by the jungle sounds. Went out every day and night wildlife spotting with and without the guide as it's safe to do so on your own. The whole layout and style of the place was wonderful and remote. Every evening at dusk we walked down to the lookout post to watch the macaws eating the fruits from the trees right in front of us. We sat in the open air bar every night watching the large fruit bats swooping around us and there was always other wildlife snuffling around once it got dark. Food was served in a rustic screened restaurant so you weren't bothered by insects but still were open to the elements. The plane trip in was turbulent and the boat ride through the mangroves onto the beach made for an unforgettable entrance!

Room Tip: We had the smaller cabana and we'd wished we'd opted for the larger one as they had screened...
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank jofontana1

I'm pleased that our friends from Bristol had a good stay with us at Casa Corcovado, enjoyed the setting and got to see lots of wildlife. Because our 170 acre preserve adjoins Corcovado National Park, you are almost guaranteed to see amazing wildlife. Hope our friends will come back and visit someday.

Reviewed August 17, 2013

I cannot say enough great things about our trip to Corcovado. After researching multiple locationd within Costa Rica , I was very interested in visiting the Osa peninsula and corcovado in particular. It was a bit of a challenge for me in arranging a 5 night travel and stay at casa c for 16 people, 8 adults and 8 kids. Right from the beginning , the staff at casa did a wonderful job...Lorena at the office was very methodical and detailed. The air, road and boat arrangements for the 16 of us was complex but perfectly managed and arranged by the hotel....there was no glitch whatsoever.

The journey itself to get to the lodge was magical....the small 12 seater plane over the jungle ....the boat ride thru the mangrove and the ocean.....the beach landing.....the tractor ride up to the lodge, in itself was fantastic

The rooms at the lodge were very clean, well maintained and comfortable. Hot water was a problem as it took a long time for the shower water to get heated resulting in wastage, however management did take care of this.

The location of the lodge, right next to the forest is excellent,....the sunset point and the beach were marvellous. I wish we had more days to spend here.

The staff was really great....Edwards at the resturant and bar did a great job. It was nice meeting the owners son who had a lot of interesting stories and perspectives and ideas.

The trips arranged were perfect. 4 of us did an additional tour to Sirena which i strongly reccomend. Our guide Cynthia was very nice, knowledgable and helpful at all times.

In summary, this was an unforgettable experience. I would love to come back here again

Room Tip: Room 10 is best for 4...we had 4 rooms....all were great
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends

This was a big group and the travel arrangements were complicated so I want to thank my staff in San Jose, especially Lorena who is in charge of reservations. I also want to mention the great work Ailiny does in our office and of course Geovanny, our General Manager, who has been with me from the beginning. Maintaining an office in San Jose is expensive but assures us that we can handle reservations quickly and help our customers with any requests, and keep things running smoothly. A lot of the credit that these guests had an absolutely stunning, unforgettable and fantastic experience goes to the people behind the scenes in San Jose. Steven Lill / owner

Reviewed August 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for five nights in early July. This place is wonderful. It takes a 12-seat prop plane flight followed by a 1-1/2 hour boat trip on the river and along the coast to get there. (The same is true for the groceries they feed you, at least the boat part.) We managed to score one guide for the two of us for the five days we were there, which I think was just a matter of luck. We took the jungle hike (be sure you stay well-hydrated for that one), the horseback tour, the snorkeling tour and the just-relax-on-the-beach day (that day included a VERY nice lunch on the beach, almost decadent).

We saw three kinds of monkey, soldier ants, leaf-cutter ants, more birds than you can shake a stick at, rocket frogs, coatimundis, agoutis, and lizards (including the basilisk, and my wife saw it running on water, sorry I missed that). The guide definitely makes a difference, and ours (Olman) was very easy to engage in conversation.

The horseback tour is doable (and wonderful, I might add) even if you have almost no experience (I took a semester of horseback riding in college about, um... 30 years ago) because those horses were awesome (guided only by halters, no bits), but we did wind up galloping on the beach, so make sure you have enough leg muscle and balance for that.

On our trip out to Caño Island, we managed to see humpback whales (luck, again), spotted dolphins, and sea turtles.

The surf was a little rougher and debris-ridden (mostly big palm nuts and tree branches) than I'm used to, being a North Carolina resident, but the beach was very nice. Bring bug spray, though.

The food was excellent and all the service was top-notch. The Margarita Sunset Bar, manned by Edward, puts a lovely cap on the day.

Our bungalow was not air-conditioned, but it has open screens all around, so the temperature was fine. It was fairly well-separated from the other bungalows and had a sort of a shrubbery privacy screen around it. Note that this location is basically in jungle/tropical forest and has no air-conditioning (but we never really missed the a/c).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JohnL4_27709
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

John and his wife who stayed with us in July have contacted me with some ideas for our improvement, which I think is great. It shows that he appreciated his stay with us at Casa Corcovado and as he stated in his e-mail to me, he hopes for our continued success. We have always paid attention to our guests comments and I have read every comment sheet that has been filled out and left at the hotel. We have been able to implement many of our guest's ideas for our improvement but of course some of the ideas, mainly due to our unique jungle location, didn't seem possible or recommendable. I am glad that John and his wife were able to see whales and dolphins and lots of other wildlife and really enjoyed their stay with us. Steven Lill / owner

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I booked Casa Corcovado via Imagine Latin America as part of a two week honeymoon package and was really glad I did. It seems that a lot of people don't venture down this far in Costa Rica if they only have a couple of weeks to visit which means it's a lot less busy than other areas we visited.

Our visit started when we were dropped off at the Hacienda; Casa Corcovado's base in Sierpe. This was probably the only bit of the trip the hotel could have done better, as the welcome was non-existent to the point where we weren't entirely sure we were in the right place! Granted we were early but never mind. However, eventually a guide came and introduced himself and offered us drinks whilst they prepared the boat for our departure to the hotel. The small boat is the only way there and it's a 90 minute trip, firstly down the river with a diversion via the mangrove forests and then along the coast which is quite good fun with all the waves. The boat captains we had whilst at the lodge were all very impressive and obviously knew the waters well.

It poured with rain on the way there so even with the ponchos they provided on the boat, we got a bit wet but we didn't really mind and you need to get out of the boat in shallow water anyway. On arrival at the hotel's beach, we were driven up the steep track (still in the pouring rain unfortunately!) and welcomed with an excellent lunch whilst our luggage was delivered to our rooms. The food for our entire 3 night stay was all fantastic and the only complaint is that there was too much so we couldn't finish it! 4 course dinners each night (you order from a choice of two main dishes each day which keeps it simple), large picnic lunches and a good breakfast choice to boot. Our waiter was very friendly and must have been on a long shift as he was on every day, morning and night! The margarita bar is a highlight - every evening from 5-6pm they serve drinks with some really well thought out complimentary snacks (more food!) whilst the sun sets. OK, so we didn't have a sunset to see on the first night, but on the following two nights it was stunning and the margaritas were good value!

The hotel was very quiet but we felt well looked after. Aside from the two of us, just 5 other guests but I think we'd come at about the quietest time of year. Our deluxe bungalow was really well designed with a nice covered patio area and an outdoor shower. The bed was really comfortable and the entire building had slatted blinds around it so you could open or close the room to the landscaped gardens as you wanted. The only downside to the rooms was the lack of hot water in the showers (wasn't just our room); I think this is something they were sorting out although it did look like they were short a solar panel or two unless I missed some!

There were two group trips as part of our package. The first day was a wildlife walk into the National Park where we saw huge amounts of wildlife (including crocodiles, monkeys and scarlet macaws) before walking up to a waterfall where you could swim in the plunge pool in the middle of the rainforest. After that, we headed to the ranger station for another great lunch. Our guide Jacob deserves a special mention as he was absolutely brilliant; enthusiastic and knowledgeable - I don't think I've ever met anyone who genuinely appeared to love their job as much as he did and we really appreciated having him as our guide. We certainly wouldn't have seen anywhere near as much wildlife as we did if he'd not been there and he answered all our hundreds of questions.

Back at the hotel, Jacob's enthusiasm convinced me that, despite having had no prior interest in it, I should get up for 6am the next day to go bird/wildlife watching. I was glad I did in the end; we didn't see huge amounts but did see one very impressive and evidently relatively rare bird (a Cotinga) and it was just nice to be up early when all the animals are, even if you can't always see them. That day's main trip was a boat tour out to an island with an idyllic beach (uninhabited bar two park rangers) with a bit of snorkelling. There was quite a lot of swell but with a good bit of local knowledge, Jacob and the boat captain found somewhere to snorkel where the water wasn't too churned and we could still see a lot of fish.

The following day on our boat trip back to the starting point, Jacob accompanied us once again and we saw loads more wildlife on the way back including crocodiles and squirrel monkeys. From the Hacienda, we were driven all the way to the airstrip for our return flight so didn't need to worry about any logistics ourselves.

In summary, great hotel, great food, great service, fantastic guide and a superb place to see huge amounts of wildlife without the crowds of Manuel Antonio National Park (although that was good too...). Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: The front rooms are marginally closer to the restaurant and bar (which I'd say was a bonus); thi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

I'm happy you had a great time with us at Casa Corcovado. Sometimes, even after 37 years it still seems as if I'm living in a movie. A place so fantastical and magical is not supposed to exist. I'm glad you could share this place, this experience with us. Steven

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Casa Corcovado can only be reached by boat, passing through a mangrove-lined channel, out into the open ocean, ending with a wet landing at the lodge property about 45 minutes later. Not only will your experience be worth the trip (which is, of course, great fun itself), the lodge's isolation makes the entire experience that much more amazing! By the way, don't be frightened off by descriptions of the boat ride and landing; the staff will take perfect care of you, regardless of your physical condition.
You will be shown to your own, beautifully appointed casita. (How did the owners get the building materials to their location???) The casitas are spread out around the grounds, some in more remote settings, but all seem very private.
The grounds are simply gorgeous...a combination of neatly organized native plantings and natural jungle. If you like birding, don't miss the early morning guided bird walks around the grounds; the variety of birds seen in just 45 minutes, walking among the casitas is staggering.
The group of travelers who are on your transport boat will (more or less) be on your tours. Also, the guide who meets you at the airport or on the boat will be your guide (more or less) for your stay. Our guide was Marlon, who is totally outstanding; he is a serious, knowledgeable naturalist and also a very nice person. There seem to be about 3 or 4 other guides, leading groups who came in on different days.
We took both the hike in the park and also the snorkeling at Cano Island. On the hike, Marlon was able to satisfy both those who wanted an easy day and those who wanted to see more, quite a feat with a group of 10: he left some at a lovely beach to relax while taking the more adventurous farther on the trail to a beautiful natural swimming hole.
Since the grounds of the lodge are so interesting and beautiful, and include 2 swimming pools (one buried in the jungle and the other more civilized) and a beach, consider including a day in your stay to just hang around the property. We did and enjoyed it tremendously.
Perhaps the biggest surprise to us was the quality of the food: How does the kitchen serve such absolutely gourmet meals in such a remote location??? Anyway, the food is really wonderful...the best of our 2 weeks in CR.
Finally, one piece of advice: Be aware that mail correspondences (which are required for deposits and also, if needed, refunds) take *at least* a month. We were frantic when our deposit didn't reach them for so long, but they were relaxed, assuring us that this was to be expected. Later, we were owed a refund and waited, and waited, and waited. It did finally arrive, dated as promised. So all was well that ended well!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

I have thought that the trip from our reception center ''La Hacienda'' in the town of Sierpe was a great addition to the experience of staying with us at Casa Corcovado. Our guests get to see the largest mangrove wetlands in Central America. i love it when my clients enjoy the gardens on the grounds of the Hotel, they are my pride and joy and something I'm always working on. It will always be a work in progress, I'm still surprised when I see enormous trees that I planted over 35 years ago but it is a great satisfaction. I think Casa Corcovado has always had great guides and Marlon is one of the best that we have had. The guides have to know how to balance the needs of the group and keep everyone happy, a job they do admirably well. Lastly, I want to thank my kitchen staff for the incredible job they do in the middle of the jungle. I'm happy that my guests had a great time with us and hope they can come back and visit someday. Steven Lill /owner

Also consider these accommodations in or near Corcovado National Park
23 mi away
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!