“Absolutely stunning and fantastic experience”

Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I cannot say enough great things about our trip to Corcovado. After researching multiple locationd within Costa Rica , I was very interested in visiting the Osa peninsula and corcovado in particular. It was a bit of a challenge for me in arranging a 5 night travel and stay at casa c for 16 people, 8 adults and 8 kids. Right from the beginning , the staff at casa did a wonderful job...Lorena at the office was very methodical and detailed. The air, road and boat arrangements for the 16 of us was complex but perfectly managed and arranged by the hotel....there was no glitch whatsoever.

The journey itself to get to the lodge was magical....the small 12 seater plane over the jungle ....the boat ride thru the mangrove and the ocean.....the beach landing.....the tractor ride up to the lodge, in itself was fantastic

The rooms at the lodge were very clean, well maintained and comfortable. Hot water was a problem as it took a long time for the shower water to get heated resulting in wastage, however management did take care of this.

The location of the lodge, right next to the forest is excellent,....the sunset point and the beach were marvellous. I wish we had more days to spend here.

The staff was really great....Edwards at the resturant and bar did a great job. It was nice meeting the owners son who had a lot of interesting stories and perspectives and ideas.

The trips arranged were perfect. 4 of us did an additional tour to Sirena which i strongly reccomend. Our guide Cynthia was very nice, knowledgable and helpful at all times.

In summary, this was an unforgettable experience. I would love to come back here again

Room Tip: Room 10 is best for 4...we had 4 rooms....all were great
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2013

This was a big group and the travel arrangements were complicated so I want to thank my staff in San Jose, especially Lorena who is in charge of reservations. I also want to mention the great work Ailiny does in our office and of course Geovanny, our General Manager, who has been with me from the beginning. Maintaining an office in San Jose is expensive but assures us that we can handle reservations quickly and help our customers with any requests, and keep things running smoothly. A lot of the credit that these guests had an absolutely stunning, unforgettable and fantastic experience goes to the people behind the scenes in San Jose. Steven Lill / owner

There are newer reviews for Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge

Reviewed August 3, 2013

My wife and I stayed here for five nights in early July. This place is wonderful. It takes a 12-seat prop plane flight followed by a 1-1/2 hour boat trip on the river and along the coast to get there. (The same is true for the groceries they feed you, at least the boat part.) We managed to score one guide for the two of us for the five days we were there, which I think was just a matter of luck. We took the jungle hike (be sure you stay well-hydrated for that one), the horseback tour, the snorkeling tour and the just-relax-on-the-beach day (that day included a VERY nice lunch on the beach, almost decadent).

We saw three kinds of monkey, soldier ants, leaf-cutter ants, more birds than you can shake a stick at, rocket frogs, coatimundis, agoutis, and lizards (including the basilisk, and my wife saw it running on water, sorry I missed that). The guide definitely makes a difference, and ours (Olman) was very easy to engage in conversation.

The horseback tour is doable (and wonderful, I might add) even if you have almost no experience (I took a semester of horseback riding in college about, um... 30 years ago) because those horses were awesome (guided only by halters, no bits), but we did wind up galloping on the beach, so make sure you have enough leg muscle and balance for that.

On our trip out to Caño Island, we managed to see humpback whales (luck, again), spotted dolphins, and sea turtles.

The surf was a little rougher and debris-ridden (mostly big palm nuts and tree branches) than I'm used to, being a North Carolina resident, but the beach was very nice. Bring bug spray, though.

The food was excellent and all the service was top-notch. The Margarita Sunset Bar, manned by Edward, puts a lovely cap on the day.

Our bungalow was not air-conditioned, but it has open screens all around, so the temperature was fine. It was fairly well-separated from the other bungalows and had a sort of a shrubbery privacy screen around it. Note that this location is basically in jungle/tropical forest and has no air-conditioning (but we never really missed the a/c).

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank JohnL4_27709
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded August 5, 2013

John and his wife who stayed with us in July have contacted me with some ideas for our improvement, which I think is great. It shows that he appreciated his stay with us at Casa Corcovado and as he stated in his e-mail to me, he hopes for our continued success. We have always paid attention to our guests comments and I have read every comment sheet that has been filled out and left at the hotel. We have been able to implement many of our guest's ideas for our improvement but of course some of the ideas, mainly due to our unique jungle location, didn't seem possible or recommendable. I am glad that John and his wife were able to see whales and dolphins and lots of other wildlife and really enjoyed their stay with us. Steven Lill / owner

Reviewed June 20, 2013

I booked Casa Corcovado via Imagine Latin America as part of a two week honeymoon package and was really glad I did. It seems that a lot of people don't venture down this far in Costa Rica if they only have a couple of weeks to visit which means it's a lot less busy than other areas we visited.

Our visit started when we were dropped off at the Hacienda; Casa Corcovado's base in Sierpe. This was probably the only bit of the trip the hotel could have done better, as the welcome was non-existent to the point where we weren't entirely sure we were in the right place! Granted we were early but never mind. However, eventually a guide came and introduced himself and offered us drinks whilst they prepared the boat for our departure to the hotel. The small boat is the only way there and it's a 90 minute trip, firstly down the river with a diversion via the mangrove forests and then along the coast which is quite good fun with all the waves. The boat captains we had whilst at the lodge were all very impressive and obviously knew the waters well.

It poured with rain on the way there so even with the ponchos they provided on the boat, we got a bit wet but we didn't really mind and you need to get out of the boat in shallow water anyway. On arrival at the hotel's beach, we were driven up the steep track (still in the pouring rain unfortunately!) and welcomed with an excellent lunch whilst our luggage was delivered to our rooms. The food for our entire 3 night stay was all fantastic and the only complaint is that there was too much so we couldn't finish it! 4 course dinners each night (you order from a choice of two main dishes each day which keeps it simple), large picnic lunches and a good breakfast choice to boot. Our waiter was very friendly and must have been on a long shift as he was on every day, morning and night! The margarita bar is a highlight - every evening from 5-6pm they serve drinks with some really well thought out complimentary snacks (more food!) whilst the sun sets. OK, so we didn't have a sunset to see on the first night, but on the following two nights it was stunning and the margaritas were good value!

The hotel was very quiet but we felt well looked after. Aside from the two of us, just 5 other guests but I think we'd come at about the quietest time of year. Our deluxe bungalow was really well designed with a nice covered patio area and an outdoor shower. The bed was really comfortable and the entire building had slatted blinds around it so you could open or close the room to the landscaped gardens as you wanted. The only downside to the rooms was the lack of hot water in the showers (wasn't just our room); I think this is something they were sorting out although it did look like they were short a solar panel or two unless I missed some!

There were two group trips as part of our package. The first day was a wildlife walk into the National Park where we saw huge amounts of wildlife (including crocodiles, monkeys and scarlet macaws) before walking up to a waterfall where you could swim in the plunge pool in the middle of the rainforest. After that, we headed to the ranger station for another great lunch. Our guide Jacob deserves a special mention as he was absolutely brilliant; enthusiastic and knowledgeable - I don't think I've ever met anyone who genuinely appeared to love their job as much as he did and we really appreciated having him as our guide. We certainly wouldn't have seen anywhere near as much wildlife as we did if he'd not been there and he answered all our hundreds of questions.

Back at the hotel, Jacob's enthusiasm convinced me that, despite having had no prior interest in it, I should get up for 6am the next day to go bird/wildlife watching. I was glad I did in the end; we didn't see huge amounts but did see one very impressive and evidently relatively rare bird (a Cotinga) and it was just nice to be up early when all the animals are, even if you can't always see them. That day's main trip was a boat tour out to an island with an idyllic beach (uninhabited bar two park rangers) with a bit of snorkelling. There was quite a lot of swell but with a good bit of local knowledge, Jacob and the boat captain found somewhere to snorkel where the water wasn't too churned and we could still see a lot of fish.

The following day on our boat trip back to the starting point, Jacob accompanied us once again and we saw loads more wildlife on the way back including crocodiles and squirrel monkeys. From the Hacienda, we were driven all the way to the airstrip for our return flight so didn't need to worry about any logistics ourselves.

In summary, great hotel, great food, great service, fantastic guide and a superb place to see huge amounts of wildlife without the crowds of Manuel Antonio National Park (although that was good too...). Thoroughly recommended.

Room Tip: The front rooms are marginally closer to the restaurant and bar (which I'd say was a bonus); thi...
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2013

I'm happy you had a great time with us at Casa Corcovado. Sometimes, even after 37 years it still seems as if I'm living in a movie. A place so fantastical and magical is not supposed to exist. I'm glad you could share this place, this experience with us. Steven

Reviewed June 5, 2013

Casa Corcovado can only be reached by boat, passing through a mangrove-lined channel, out into the open ocean, ending with a wet landing at the lodge property about 45 minutes later. Not only will your experience be worth the trip (which is, of course, great fun itself), the lodge's isolation makes the entire experience that much more amazing! By the way, don't be frightened off by descriptions of the boat ride and landing; the staff will take perfect care of you, regardless of your physical condition.
You will be shown to your own, beautifully appointed casita. (How did the owners get the building materials to their location???) The casitas are spread out around the grounds, some in more remote settings, but all seem very private.
The grounds are simply gorgeous...a combination of neatly organized native plantings and natural jungle. If you like birding, don't miss the early morning guided bird walks around the grounds; the variety of birds seen in just 45 minutes, walking among the casitas is staggering.
The group of travelers who are on your transport boat will (more or less) be on your tours. Also, the guide who meets you at the airport or on the boat will be your guide (more or less) for your stay. Our guide was Marlon, who is totally outstanding; he is a serious, knowledgeable naturalist and also a very nice person. There seem to be about 3 or 4 other guides, leading groups who came in on different days.
We took both the hike in the park and also the snorkeling at Cano Island. On the hike, Marlon was able to satisfy both those who wanted an easy day and those who wanted to see more, quite a feat with a group of 10: he left some at a lovely beach to relax while taking the more adventurous farther on the trail to a beautiful natural swimming hole.
Since the grounds of the lodge are so interesting and beautiful, and include 2 swimming pools (one buried in the jungle and the other more civilized) and a beach, consider including a day in your stay to just hang around the property. We did and enjoyed it tremendously.
Perhaps the biggest surprise to us was the quality of the food: How does the kitchen serve such absolutely gourmet meals in such a remote location??? Anyway, the food is really wonderful...the best of our 2 weeks in CR.
Finally, one piece of advice: Be aware that mail correspondences (which are required for deposits and also, if needed, refunds) take *at least* a month. We were frantic when our deposit didn't reach them for so long, but they were relaxed, assuring us that this was to be expected. Later, we were owed a refund and waited, and waited, and waited. It did finally arrive, dated as promised. So all was well that ended well!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 30, 2013

I have thought that the trip from our reception center ''La Hacienda'' in the town of Sierpe was a great addition to the experience of staying with us at Casa Corcovado. Our guests get to see the largest mangrove wetlands in Central America. i love it when my clients enjoy the gardens on the grounds of the Hotel, they are my pride and joy and something I'm always working on. It will always be a work in progress, I'm still surprised when I see enormous trees that I planted over 35 years ago but it is a great satisfaction. I think Casa Corcovado has always had great guides and Marlon is one of the best that we have had. The guides have to know how to balance the needs of the group and keep everyone happy, a job they do admirably well. Lastly, I want to thank my kitchen staff for the incredible job they do in the middle of the jungle. I'm happy that my guests had a great time with us and hope they can come back and visit someday. Steven Lill /owner

Reviewed June 3, 2013

This was the last stop on a 10 day birding trip in Costa Rica. The boat ride to the beach landing was an adventure in itself. Then there's the tractor ride up the hill to the lodge itself, passing the sunset bar which overlooks the Pacific. The lodge is made up of very nicely appointed cabins/casitas, and there is a restaurant with first class meals. The staff is outstanding. Our guide, Jacob, was a great guy. The birding was wonderful, not to mention the other wildlife we saw on our walks. A very nice setting.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with friends

I do think that Casa Corcovado is an incredible experience for birders. We have had groups that have spotted well over 50 species of birds in a single day and have University groups and travel agencies that return year after year for the birding. We have great guides and Jacob is an excellent birder, having a local guide that knows the calls and habitats of the birds found in the area greatly increases the number of confirmed sightings and just the enjoyment of a day spent in the rainforest. It is nice that my clients called Casa Corcovado, '' a birders paradise '', and I hope they can come back someday and add on to their '' Life List '' ,many new species of birds. Steven Lill / owner

Reviewed April 28, 2013

This was our 3rd stop on a 10-day tour of Costa Rica. I recommend staying somewhere before coming to Casa Corcovado just to make sure you are in the proper state of mind and have experienced other areas of the country before coming here....because once you have been here, everything else is down hill.
We learned of Casa Corcovado through Valle Dorado Tours...see my review!!
I was most worried about the boat ride in....here are the facts: The boat will carry you and your travel companion, another couple and several employees from the resort. There are about 10 seats on the boat. They will put your luggage in large garbage bags. They are also transporting supplies to and from the resort on this boat.
The boat itself is a small ponga boat with two outboard motors that are hand-steered by an employee of the resort. Of our whole trip to Costa Rica this was the part I was most worried about. Here is what I can tell you: Of the two hour trip, 1.5 hours is simply cruising up a river. NO worries, plus some great sight-seeing. When the river merges with the Pacific, you have about 5-7 minutes AT MOST where your boat driver is navigating some hairy waves and cross currents - but friends, they do this EVERYDAY. Stop worrying. Let go. Enjoy the adventure! Tip the driver when you arrive alive:)
The remaining 20 minutes of trip skirts beautiful pacific coastline.
When you step off the boat into the ankle deep waters you feel like shouting, "Victory!"
When you step up onto the main property from the boat landing, you know it was worth every anxiety to get there.
Simply AMAZING.
Do yourself a favor...don't research too much. Don't study the pictures of the property trying to decide if this a good place to go.
Book now.
Naturalists, bird enthusiasts, animal lovers and sunset watchers-This is the ultimate place.
If you want t.v,, worry about internet (yes, it has a spot with wifi), if you like everything on the side when you eat out, if you need karaoke or like to sleep til noon - do everyone a favor and don't come to Casa Corcovado.
Although I saw some people with kids, I personally would never bring my children here. First, not much for them to do after dark and second, this is the jungle. The real jungle. This is an adult paradise, a romantic escape from the everyday and a genuine opportunity to connect with nature on that deeper level.
We loved the food, enjoyed leisurely dinners every night. They had a wine selection which is more than I expected.
Excursions: Cano Island trip was nice in that we saw sea turtles, brown boobies and spotted dolphins each way. Snorkeling was mediocre. The hike to the archaic spheres is no longer allowed due to it being too dangerous. This excursion ends back at the property with a beach lunch after which each couple retreated to a beach chair for a nap.
Jungle hike with Cynthia - yes. Love her. Waterfall trail....plan to swim and shame on you if you don't.
Did both the Toucan Trail and the other on-property trail.
Three nights was enough I guess, but I would have stayed a week just for the peace and solitude of the property and jungle.
One of the most memorable places you will ever visit.

Room Tip: Stayed in the Honeymoon Bungalow. Loved it because it was round. All cabin were equally awesome, o...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank winstonteaka
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 14, 2014

I know that some of our guests worry about the boat ride into Casa Corcovado but I think that you have to see it as part of the adventure and as this guest said just relax and let go. And it is true we do this everyday, we can handle it. Steven Lill / owner

Reviewed April 10, 2013

Amazing! We left Sierpe by boat through the mangrove forest and out into the Pacific to Casa Corcovado. An adventure that included spotting birds and dolphins. We had anticipated the "wet landing" upon arrival and the tractor ride up the hill to the resort.

Johann met us as we departed the wagon and introduced us to the buildings and our homes for three nights. As birders we spent time in the lower pool nicknamed the "Birders' Pool" as it was located in the rainforest just below the lounge. Sunny but tucked out of the way. We found a hummingbird nest in the area.

There were many adventures that we could have taken but we had our friend and guide, Rudy who organized our activities - bird, bird, and bird from the pool.

Meals were outstanding. Presentation of the food was lovely and included fine touches such as a vegetable or fruit flower on the plate.

Our suite was like a picture from a movie, in fact the entire stay at Casa Corcovado was timeless.

Christina's expertise in the spa is a moment not to be missed. She is a special person.

The entire staff here is unique in that each contributes personally to make this place have a uniqueness I have found no where else in my travels. I holds a special place in my heart.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank Mary822

I'm glad that you had a great birding experience at Casa Corcovado. It's amazing how many birds can be seen around the hotel's gardins and the'' Birders pool '' ,hidden away by at the edge of the forest is a great place to see birds and other wildlife. I'm happy that you were able to enjoy the unique experience that we offer and can come back and enjoy another stay in'' Paradise''. Check out our new Wild Osa blog [ www.wildosa.com] that will soon have a video of a humming bird building her nest. Thanks Steven

Also consider these accommodations in or near Corcovado National Park
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!