“Stunning location”

Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge
GreenLeadersPlatinum level
Reviewed February 13, 2013

Stayed last November for 3 nights and can endorse previous reviews which rated location, rooms and cleanliness as 5*: it is a fantastic place and the service was great when we stayed. The dawn chorus of howler monkeys was awesome. The ‘all day’ trip to Cano island was a rip-off – advertised as:
“Our guide will take us to an excellent spot for snorkeling, called the ‘Coral Garden’, and then reach a secluded beach sheltered by coconut palms. There will be time to hike up to the interior of the island or to stay awhile at the magnificent viewpoint”.
We saw a pod of dolphins en-route which was great! However we snorkeled on some bare rocks close to the Ranger station – not a Coral Garden and scarce on wildlife - for an hour. Then 30 mins on the beach and no option to hike up to the interior of the island. We were back at Casa Corcovado by 12:30 and provided with a mediocre picnic lunch. Our guide suggested a night hike but, at 25USD per person, there were no takers!
It is a stunning location and was a great place to end our trip to Costa Rica.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank intrepidez
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 21, 2013

Hello, thanks for endorsing our 5* reviews. Really glad you enjoyed the dawn chorus, and felt the service was great, and the location, stunning.

Regarding Cano Island, it's not offered by us as an 'all-day' tour, but a morning going to and from the island and snorkelling, followed by a picnic lunch with most clients back at the hotel at around 2.30pm. I can see how, if you were expecting an all-day tour, you might have been disappointed and so I'm checking with our travel agency partners to see how that mistake was made. And I'm sorry you didn't see much while snorkelling, particularly as we've had some spectacular snorkelling days in the last three months, with plenty of manta rays, turtles, white-tip sharks, and huge shoals. It's hard to predict when we're going to get one of those rare days when there's not a huge amount to see. When we do, guides will normally suggest stopping sooner than usual, but it's entirely up to the clients how long they snorkel. As regards limited time on the island, I apologise, but it is a recent and temporary restriction imposed by the National Park authorities (so they can work on infrastructure) that affects all of us operators in the region. Fortunately we can provide picnic space on our own beach instead.

A word in defence of the night tours and our enthusiastic guides! This is something the guide team offers in their free time. We have 170 acres of jungle, and 60% of the wildlife in it is nocturnal - so it's well worth venturing out there to take a look. The tours are proving very popular, and the feedback is that they are not only great value, but good fun.

Hopefully you'll come back, have better luck with the snorkelling, and try one of the night tours!
Thanks again for the useful feedback.

Reviewed February 11, 2013

The location is wonderful, the approach is by plane from San Jose and then a two hour ride in an open boat, depending on the tide ; arrival is challenging to say the least if it is high. Guide Marlon assumes everyone is boat savvy and can leap out,not so.
We were allocated a honeymoon suite, it was very small with shallow open shelving,5 hooks and no other hanging or storage.
The staff were excellent in places, cleaning was great. The barman very cheerful, not trained but willing and smiling. I agree that the man called Tyson was definitely not capable of managing. He spoke very little English and could not respond to the simplest question.
Two tours were offered, a hike in the national park and a trip to snorkel on Cano Island. We were there for a third day, no one suggested any other activity and our guide had moved on to another group.
What was poor was the method of telling you about the next day's activities which was one member of staff to come into the dining room, lean over each table, interrupt the conversation and read out from a list what you were going to do. In our case for the third day he said "room 2 - nothing for you". Frankly at that level of the market I expected a little more.
I went to pay our bill on the last morning, we were to leave at 7 am, I went at 6.30 no one in the office, I went again in the middle of breakfast at 6.45 no one in the office. Our breakfast came to the table at 6.50, not much time to eat, walk to the office,check the bill, pay and get to the tractor to go to the boat. In any event Tyson was not capable of answering any questions so one had to pay and go.
The location is excellent, the owner needs to employ a manager and arrange some staff training.

The food? Everything is taken in by boat,but it was well cooked. In the evening for three nights it was fish or beef tenderloin, then chicken or beef tenderloin the last night it was shrimp or chicken. However each evening the appetiser was delicious followed by a home made soup. The wine list was ample.

It is a lodge which could be excellent if the owner bothered to pay it some attention.

Room Tip: Ask about the size before you commit.All have beautiful surroundings.
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Susan2395
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Hello Susan,
Glad you enjoyed our wonderful location, and the food. - and thanks for the review. Actually, your honeymoon suite is our most-requested - to some it's a little gem, but clearly to others it's just a little small! I wish we'd known at the time that you wanted a larger room - we'd have happily moved you to the other larger suite we had available.
Grateful for your helpful thoughts on tour information. Most guests here for 3 nights, book a package that includes 2 tours, and use the third day to enjoy the pools, beach and private trails. However, we do offer a wide range of additional tours and activities, from riding to boat trips and night tours, and provide all the information in each room in the Guest Information folder. The guides, with guests for much of the first couple of days, are there to answer any questions about further activities we offer, and to make any arrangements for further tours at your request. After reading your review, I've also made sure that information is prominently displayed in the manager's office. If you asked for information on tours and were not helped, please let me know, so I can look into it.
The dinner briefing is just to confirm when and where people with tours booked for the following day should meet. I apologise for any misunderstanding, and for the dinner interruption, and for our guide, who, while efficient, should have displayed better manners. While dinner is the one time the guides are guaranteed to find all guests in one place, we are looking into alternative ways to give the briefing.
Our new manager - a fluent English-speaker - is now in place. We pride ourselves on our friendly, dedicated team of staff. While our assistant manager - who stepped in to help us out in a crisis - kept the hotel running like clockwork, I apologise if he was not able to communicate in English as confidently as we would have hoped during your stay.
Once again, thanks for your comments, and I hope you'll come back to see the improvements based on your recommendations in place! All the best.

Reviewed January 31, 2013

You arrive at this lodge by boat, jumping into the ocean up to your knees, with the assistance of hotel staff. So starts a remarkable stay at Casa Corcovado, where the stained glass doorways and decorations seem beautifully incongruous with the jungle surroundings. The lodge was absolutely lovely. The food was wonderful and the guides were able to spot monkeys, birds and other animals from a great distance, viewable clearly through their scopes. The howler monkeys woke us up at dawn. The birds were amazing. Service in the restaurant was slow but I was't in a hurry so it just allowed me to enjoy the time we spent with our group. I loved this place!

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Hi Ruth,
You've summed up our mix of adventure and laid-back comfort beautifully, thanks! Happy to hear you had a great stay, and saw lots of our feathered friends - and hope you'll come back to visit us again one day.

Reviewed January 21, 2013

We stayed here in January, 2013. First the Pros- amazing location. The beach is gorgeous, and it is right next to the park and a short walk to the ranger station (that you need a ticket to go to). Breakfast is good, so is lunch, if you are not on a trip. We saw Spider monkeys behing our room each morning at 6am and saw many animals on a hike.

Unfortunately, it is extremely poorly run. The old manager left and a new manager, who was a bartender, was appointed. Unfortunately, he seems to have no management experience and the lodge is severely suffering. The manager either does not speak English, or doesn't want to deal with any issues that arise. The tours were not handled properly and the when some groups wanted to make adjustments, they were told he would get back to them and never did.

Dinners are Terrible! They try to get fancy and do higher end food. It results in resounding failure. Please cook what they know- Costa Rican food. Our lunches were so much better than any dinner.

We had some rude staff- a guide I had never met was extremely rude to me in the middle of dinner. She came to our table and pointed in my face and saying "Oh, I remember yooouu!" And continued with a ton of attitude. I reported this to the manager. Instead of dealing with her attitude, he sent her to apologize. Her apology consisted of saying "I am sorry YOU misunderstood ME" (which I told her is not an apology). Then told me she was a lesbian. As if that explains her rudeness. I told her that has no place in our conversation and was irrelevant. I was flabbergasted. I paid a huge sum to stay here, and could not believe the terrible customer service. IT was so bad it was comical. Unfortunately, I paid for Ritz service and got worse than Motel 6 service.

Bars- the bars are inconsistently staffed. And the staff mostly has ZERO idea how to make a drink. Do not come here planning to have a mixed drink. I ordered a drink on their menu and was asked by the bartender four times what it was. He finally went and got a menu to see how to make it, then gave a mixed drink to me in a tiny martini glass. I am a light weight and didn't even get a tiny buzz because there was so little alcohol. I also had a Pina Colada that was mostly huge ice chunks from being so poorly blended. I didn't order any other drinks after that.

The Wifi never worked.

Bottom line. This property has SO much potential! But the poor management, dinner and customer service ruined it for me. It would have been acceptable if the price was lower. However, at the price we paid to stay there it is simply not ok.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Kayt B
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 1, 2013

Hello and thank you so much for taking the time to provide your feedback with the TripAdvisor community. I am disappointed to hear your recent stay did not reach your expectations. I was, however, pleased to read the positive remarks about the location, breakfasts and lunches and our level of cleanliness - thank you. We have taken onboard and addressed your further points.

We did, indeed, lose our very good manager due to a family emergency. Our assistant manager stepped into the breach, and as you rightly point out, we had a challenging few days. As a hard-working and very competent employee in the role of assistant manager, we felt he deserved the opportunity to take on the additional responsibility. We are committed to providing employment to the local Osa community where English is not the first language and, unfortunately, in this case, I believe a lack of confidence in dealing with our English-speaking clients did lead to the problems you describe.

We are now lucky enough to have the services of a bilingual tourism consultant, with many years of experience in Costa Rica, the Osa, and wilderness lodges around the world, who is providing additional management support until our new manager takes up his post. The assistant manager is once again overseeing our team of three barstaff.

Many of our guests tell us they enjoy the wide variety of fresh, local fruits and vegetables, and the type of Costa Rican dishes that we serve at lunch, and so we are in the process of changing the dinner menu, just as you suggest, to feature adding more of a local flavour.

I was surprised and disappointed to read that a member of our staff had spoken in a discourteous and inappropriate way. I have taken up this matter personally with the guide in question. I can only apologise, and add further apologies on her behalf. This type of behaviour is unprecedented at Casa Corcovado, and has no place in our organisation.

Once again, I would like to thank you for sharing your feedback, and for bringing to our attention, and allowing us to remedy, any issues falling short of the high standard we and the staff pride ourselves in offering at Casa Corcovado.

Reviewed January 3, 2013

First off... this is a 4 star LODGE, not a hotel and is located in a very remote location... the Corcovado National Park. If you want a luxury hotel then this is NOT the place for you. To arrive at Casa Corcovado you need to fly to Southwestern Costa Rica (on a very small plane) and then it's a 2 hour boat ride from Sierpe town to get to the lodge (down a river and south along the coast). From there... you're pretty much out in the jungle. The hotel is extremely well run and Carlos (the manager) does a good job at making sure everything goes smoothly. The set up is a beautifully gardened lot a overlooking the ocean with office building, a main dining room, a number of bungalows set up for guests, and a set of lodges for the staff. The bungalows are comfortable, have hot water/electricity, and are very attractively situated amongst the gardens.

The pros:

You're really out in the middle of the jungle. Wildlife is everywhere, and it's an experience like no other. The hotel grounds are simply gorgeous, with lots of small trails you can hike, a private beach, 2 pools (1 for swimming and 1 isolated for 'adults'), a beautiful sunset bar where you can relax and watch the sunset and have a beer/margarita (overlooking Cano Island). Hot water in the bungalows, indoor and outdoor showers, and they have all the gear you'll need available for you (day packs, big rubber boots for hiking in the mud, snorkel gear, etc.)

The cons:

You're out in the middle of nowhere... if there's an emergency.. well... hope there's not an emergency. It's rustic, which is part of its charm but if the water is rough/stormy you can have an absolutely sea-sick inducing/miserable cold 2 hour ride out on the uncovered boat. You can have large insects and/or jungle rodents that make their way into your room (we experienced both), and the food is decent... but you dine on a schedule and you're also at the mercy of what can be acquired and cooked this far from a grocery store.

Our biggest issue wasn't with the accommodations... it was with our guide. Casa Corcovado has some amazing guides. Unfortunately... we weren't assigned to one of them. We were assigned a 'new' guide who stayed with us for our entire trip (as seems to be their policy). We did 2 excursions with her and she was absolutely awful. She wasn't knowledgeable (actually gave us incorrect information on the few occasions we asked her questions), was unsuccessful at finding any of the wildlife (the place was teeming with it, and what little we saw... we were pointing out to her), and she spent over half of her time playing on her iphone. After a 2nd excursion was pretty much ruined (Cano Island) we did address the issue with the manager who was extremely responsive, and gave us 2 additional excursions (AM bird watching and a local rainforest walk) with a decent guide (Marlon.. who was wonderful) which helped to salvage the experience. The manager didn't seem all that surprised with our issues though, and I'm still stunned that they would have someone of that caliber working there when their other guides all seemed to be of such good quality. So... as irate as we were with our first guide experience, they do want you to have a good time and a good experience so definitely speak up and they will do everything they can to make it right.

All told.... it's a one of a kind experience. If you don't mind roughing it a bit (insects, etc.) and want a bit of a jungle adventure... this is definitely your place. If you want everything neat and tidy... pass on this and find accommodations that are less rustic and you'll probably have a better experience. Also... make sure you get a good guide! They will absolutely make or break your experience.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Zaknafein
StevenLill, Owner at Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded February 11, 2013

Thanks for the review! That's a good tip - "know what you are getting into" - because jungle lodges, however 'gorgeous' and 'well-run', are, by nature, remote and surrounded by wildlife, and the luxuries on offer here are the natural sort - a beach to yourself, birdsong, that margarita and view of the sunset and private rainforest trails - which isn't for everyone. But, as you say, if you want a bit of jungle adventure, this is definitely your place.
One thing I should point out is that our staff has first aid, and wilderness first aid training, and, because we are situated right on the edge of the national park, and on call to provide support to the park rangers, excellent emergency evacuation procedures in place.
As for 'the cons', I was sorry to hear that you had been in an uncovered boat, and I am looking into how that came about, as our own boats are covered. Luckily we're blessed with hot days and calm, bath temperature seas most of the year, but on boat trips in rainy weather, we cut out the sightseeing which reduces the journey to less than 1hr 30 mins, an hour of which is on the river. I apologise if that was not the case for you, and, as I say, will look into it.
I'm sorry also that your first guide experience was disappointing, but happy that the manager was able to offer additional excursions and an alternative guide. The guide in question is no longer with this organisation. Thank you for letting us know. We're very proud of our enthusiastic expert guides and committed to keeping our standards high.

Reviewed October 3, 2012 via mobile

Cool place, beautiful grounds, great guides. Horrible lukewarm food and nothing to do after dinner! Also you def need a flashlight, with the lights in the rooms we still couldn't see anything. The bar will be clOsed after dinner so plan
ahead!

• Stayed: November 2011
3  Thank Kate G

Hi Kate,
Thank you - Casa Corcovado IS cool! Based on your feedback and requests from our guests for more of our home-grown exotic fruits, and our traditional Costa Rican dishes, we've made some great changes to our menu, so hope you'll come back again and check them out.
The bar is actually open before and after dinner, and it stays open every night until the last guest leaves. We're adding a bell, so if you happen to be the first to arrive, you can ring for instant service!
We have backgammon, boardgames, cards etc available, and while we don't lay on too much in the way of organised after-dinner activities, the guided night tours start at 8pm each night for anyone wanting to sample nightlife Osa style!

Reviewed September 20, 2012

I found this hotel on tripadvisor and I was impressed for the many excellent reviews it got.

So I looked up its availability and found an accomodation, for up to six people, on bookings.com at a reasonable price 1200$. This was only the accomodation. We would have had to pay for the meals and excursions separately.

Unfortunately, and ONLY after I contacted them, I was told that that price was not correct, and I was supposed to spend 4 to 5 times the amount offered on bookings.com.
I was told my reservation was canceled by them (though it wasn't true) and I was going to get the option THEY chose for me, that was including full board and a couple of excursions.

I was struck by the fact that, haven't I checked before hand, I would have been presented with the only possibility of paying 5125$, as the 1200$ option was not available.

Very unprofessionally, they blamed me with bookings.com and blamed bookings.com when writing to me.

I believe they should avoid offering not existing price accomodation and, when they do by mistake, assume their responsabilities and act professionally.

No need to say, I booked my staying in Corcovado area somewhere else, and where was immediately contacted and offered advice as soon as they received the reservation.

Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
6  Thank eclettico

Just to confirm - you found information on the website of a different company, booking.com, that you found misleading? When you did contact us direct you were immediately given accurate information? And because you were looking for more of a budget option, you chose to stay elsewhere?

I'm trying to work out how this entitles you to claim that you stayed with us in September?

I'd also like to make a general TripAdvisor point, that however annoying online budget booking agencies can be, (and we've all had them), it hardly makes sense to take out your frustration by giving a 1 out of 5 star rating (based on value, location, sleep quality, rooms. cleanliness and service) for a hotel you have never even visited.

However, this gives me the opportunity to confirm how we work.
Full rates and package details are available on the Casa Corcovado website, along with information on how to book. Our packages are also sold through reputable partner agencies. Given our isolated location - no roads, no fancy restaurants nearby - all accommodation is sold as part of a full board package. If it wasn't our guests would get very hungry.

We don't 'choose' options on behalf of our guests. Our most popular packages include two tours but we offer a wide range - information and rates for all of which are provided on the website - and we also tailor packages on request to suit every area of special interest or length or stay.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Corcovado National Park
#1 of 8 in Drake Bay
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to Casa Corcovado Jungle Lodge? Share your experiences!