“Fabulous place to stay”
Review of La Leona Eco Lodge

La Leona Eco Lodge
Reviewed March 25, 2014

My friend and I recently spent 3 nights at La Leona and had a fantastic time. Even the 35 minute walk on the beach from Carate to the lodge was nice as there were several macaws along the way. We had an ocean view cabin and the grounds are beautiful with lots of birds and wildlife. One day, there was a group of spider monkeys in the trees behind our cabin that I watched while taking a shower in the outdoor bathroom. Macaws routinely came to trees on the grounds to eat almonds and the red-legged honeycreepers were alos common.

We went to Corcovado NP with a La Leona guide for a half-day hike (we would have taken the full day hike but it wasn't listed on the board as an available tour). Although we saw a lot of wildlife, our guide was young and not an experienced birder so if you're into birds, I'd ask for a guide more familiar with birds.

The tent cabins were very comfortable and I loved the outdoor shower. The meals were very good and coffee, juice, and water were available throughout the day which was fabulous. All in all, this is a wonderful place to stay and I'd definitely stay again even longer in order to spend some time at Sirena.

Room Tip: Choose an oceanfront cabin.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends

Reviewed March 16, 2014

We stayed at La Leona a total of 5 nights, in the middle of our stay we hiked to Sirena Station with a excellent guide provided by La Leona. We stayed at Sirena Station for 2 nights. La Leona is the closest resort to Corcovado National Park. There is a 35 minute walk along the gorgeous beach to get to La Leona. I'm surprised a reviewer called this "torturous and challenging". I'm 62 years old and it was not the least bit difficult for me! 2 days after arriving at La Leona we walked 6 hours to Sirena, and that was mildly difficult and that was only the part that was 2 hours on the beach with no shade. People need to be a little physically fit to enjoy this experience. The main attraction is nature, wildlife, etc and you may have to walk a little to see it! The resort itself was absolutely beautiful, so much attention to detail, from the tent houses to the grounds. The staff was amazing, the food was great. I'm a big coffee drinker and there was coffee early throughout the morning and again in the afternoon and evening (I don't know how one of the reviewers missed that). We stayed in an ocean front tent house. I can't even imagine wanting air conditioning in a place like this! (note the word "Eco" Lodge). The ocean breeze and sound of the waves was one of the reasons I was there. There was a great trail through the rainforest in back of the property. I missed the guided night walk, but I heard from others that it was great. I talked to several people who took the guided 5 hour walk and they saw tapirs, anteaters and monkeys. We also saw all this and more on our walk to Sirena. We also identified (with the expertise of our guide) 74 species of birds. I would highly recommend La Leona Eco Lodge if you want to get the most out of the Osa Peninsula and Corcovado national park.

Room Tip: Ocean Front is the best!
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank shellystpaul
Reviewed March 15, 2014

We had a wonderful stay at La Leona 31.st December and for four nights on. Even for Costa Rica this is a very special place:The special feeling of a family driven hotel where everybody made you feel like you were a special guest. The comfortable huts with good beds. The surrounding nature inside and outside of the National park - unsurpassed. The Tapir that entered the grounds one evening. My morning walk where I saw a Tapir bathing in the ocean. The good guides. The relaxed atmosphere at the long tables in the restaurent. The Scarlet Macaws calling in the morning as an alarmclock. The good food. This place might be off the beaten track, but it will always be in your heart after you have left.

Room Tip: Oceanside Cabins are very nice, but be aware that the Pacific ocean is not a quiet neighbor.
  • Stayed: December 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank madsgudik
Reviewed February 23, 2014

My wife, daughter 918 yr ) and I just got back from a 6 day stay at La Leona Eco Lodge. We had a great vacation and came back very relaxed. I went mostly to see the forest and the lodge owns a private preserve behind it with trails. It was so nice to be able to get up before the sun and just walk into the forest. I would just sit along the trail and wait for birds, lizards or troops of monkeys come by. For a primer on the rainforest see Kricher A neotropical companion. Princeton University press 1997 I went with bird watching to be a primary concern. I did see about 70 different species while there. However, if you sole reason for going to Costa Rica is to see birds there may be eco-lodges with more open surroundings and so more easily seen birds. The birds are there but you may have to look for them. However, I doubt other lodges will have the monkeys or Tapirs.
I took a trip into the Corcovado National Park with the lodge guild. It was great. I ran out of good questions to ask before the guild ran out of information. When I asked about anemone along the coast he guided us to a small reef and showed us sea urchins, damsel fish and even found an octopus. pretty special. You do have to ask questions or promt the guilds to get the most out of the walk. The walk was about 5 hours but I would do it again.

I thought the lodge itself was fine. The tent was clean and comfortable. The meals were plentiful although maybe too much meat. As for Mikey from LA saying there was no AC. Hello Its a tent. The forest is the attraction. If you want Disneyland stay in LA. However, If you want to see one of the last primary lowland rainforests in Central America this is a great place to start.

Room Tip: We had an ocean front tent. I loved listening to the waves.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
2  Thank Anthony M
Reviewed February 20, 2014

We have stayed at this lodge for the second time in one year.
Yes, the place is remoted, but it is the only lodge close to Corcovado nat. Park. You have to walk only 500 meters to the ranger station La Leona.
The tents are simple but comfortable.
It has got everything inside you need.
The beds are comfortable to sleep.
It is a shame some people think Corcovado nat park is a zoo. We have visited the park for the second time and this year we have seen more wildlife. We also saw a tapir.
At the Lodge there was a boa constrictor.
The staff is very friendly and informative.
We have met Felipe and yes he likes to smile. But he is a good man.
We have only good memories of La Leona Lodge.
We can recommend this Lodge to anyone who likes nature at his best.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank treesfrans
Reviewed February 18, 2014

Been to many off the beaten path places in Costa Rica and decided to try La Leona. The drive all the way to this remote part of CR on unpaved roads is not worth the hassle. I thought and expected to see so many more animals than in other parts of CR but was quit disappointed. Once you park the car the walk over to the lodge is torturous and challenging to say the least, even for hobby hikers such as us. I am surprised the lodge doesn't emphasize taking LOTS of water on the hike over.
The place is beautiful and the tents are very cute. Only downfall is there is no ventilation or AC and at mid day with nowhere to escape it's not pleasant. I also found that the towels had a foul smell of fish and when replaced they still had that same smell. Makes me wonder how they wash them.
The staff:
The owners and staff are Costa Rican and very armature in every way. Felipe, one of the owners has that sneaky smile and will tell you what you want to hear. For example if you want to book something he will tell you " no problem, you got it" but the next day he will come over with that smile and tell you some excuse and that the plans changed.... No reliability.
Eddy the waiter/ bartender needs to learn how to smile! You cannot work at a job such as his without ever smiling. Ronny was very nice but as a guide he pretty much sucks and we were disappointed from the park tour with him. He brought with him a telescope so that we can see wild life with but did not know how to use it. Ronny, you should practice! Other than that he was very nice and helpful on other days at the lodge.
Coffey was only served in the morning. For coffee drinkers I would expect at least for it to be available at lunch or maybe dinner. All and all the drive, the hike there and the whole experience was not up to expectations and I fought we will come back to that region again. We found places even more beautiful, still remote but with AC and a much more welcoming and professional staff in places much closer to civilization. Pura Vida. T

Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Mickey K
Reviewed February 15, 2014

During our 10 day stay in Puerto Jimenez, we decided to visit La Leona Eco Lodge for 2 nights. What a great experience for us. The location was absolutely beautiful. Staying in the ocean view tent cabins without electricity was also a first. Loved the outdoor shower!
We went on the 6 hour nature walk with a guide in the Corcavado Nature park. Definitely too long for me! It was more of a forced hike than a nature walk. Would have preferred a shorter nature walk to enjoy the scenery and wildlife.
Relaxing in the hammocks following the hike was wonderful. Also the meals were excellent! Our compliments to the kitchen and service staff.

Room Tip: Nice breeze from Pacific Ocean for the tent cabins facing the ocean.
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Bob6566
Also consider these accommodations in or near Carate
Luna Lodge
#4 of 8 in Drake Bay
Lookout Inn Lodge
Lookout Inn Lodge
#1 of 6 in Carate

Been to La Leona Eco Lodge? Share your experiences!